Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the D2 bylaws, you have to have a minimum of 10 games, with 8 of them being D2 games. So unless a waiver is acquired, schedule needs to be 10 games. I would assume at least one other game will be added to the 2023 schedule with the non-conference GLIAC opponent. I'm guessing they haven't figured that out yet.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post

IF they are ALL D2 teams in your region, yes
      Ok...so with three OUT of region how ya looking?

Comment

Is it just me or does anyone else hate the focus D2 puts on “in region” games? If you beat a top 5 team nationally and they aren’t in your region, who cares? Maybe I don’t understand the rules/selection process well enough, but it still seems stupid to be like well Team X didn’t play as many teams in region as Team Y did, so guess that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by bankslaker View Post
          Is it just me or does anyone else hate the focus D2 puts on “in region” games? If you beat a top 5 team nationally and they aren’t in your region, who cares? Maybe I don’t understand the rules/selection process well enough, but it still seems stupid to be like well Team X didn’t play as many teams in region as Team Y did, so guess that matters.
          I don't know if it's an overpowering criteria for playoff selection. I think in-region record is just a *part* of the criteria, but I don't think it really overrules anything else. Especially in our region where one conference doesn't even play non-conference games, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think UIndy at 11-0 who beat Wayne State and Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech is going to be ranked ahead of a GV that goes 11-0 while beating Mines and Pueblo and Assumption. It might have an impact if UIndy were to go 11-0 while beating Ferris and Saginaw and Davenport, though. Maybe that 11-0 in-region record would make it more valuable than GV's 8-0 in-region record.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I don't know if it's an overpowering criteria for playoff selection. I think in-region record is just a *part* of the criteria, but I don't think it really overrules anything else. Especially in our region where one conference doesn't even play non-conference games, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think UIndy at 11-0 who beat Wayne State and Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech is going to be ranked ahead of a GV that goes 11-0 while beating Mines and Pueblo and Assumption. It might have an impact if UIndy were to go 11-0 while beating Ferris and Saginaw and Davenport, though. Maybe that 11-0 in-region record would make it more valuable than GV's 8-0 in-region record.
            Well right now GVSU only has 9 games on the 2023 schedule. So good luck with that. No one in the GLIAC wants to double up this year...might be an interesting season to go 9-0 and sit home.

Comment

I don't think football has the same emphasis on in-region games that other sports do, and I'm glad it doesn't.

I wrote a long thread on Twitter last fall about the "in-region" designation and why it's probably worse than you think:

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Well right now GVSU only has 9 games on the 2023 schedule. So good luck with that. No one in the GLIAC wants to double up this year...might be an interesting season to go 9-0 and sit home.
                Might be right. Wayne State has their 2023 schedule up with 11 games, and no GLIAC double-ups. So I guess GV has gotta find at least one more game with someone.

GV surely isn't going to stick with 9 and have that be it. Every fan and alum would be livid to just skip the playoffs for some kind of stance.

Comment

With 7 football teams in conference, wouldn’t 1 of the 7 not be able to double up a game? That might be Wayne St. The other 6 could still pair up to play twice. For example, last year, Ferris was the off team out and did not play any team twice. Hopefully that is not GV this year.

Comment

Looks like GVSU picked up Kentucky State for week 6... that puts them at 10 games now (all 10 are D2 games)

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
                      Looks like GVSU picked up Kentucky State for week 6... that puts them at 10 games now (all 10 are D2 games)
                      Good find. I'm guessing that's going to be a net negative SOS game, which kinda stinks, but you don't really have a choice if you need to get to the minimum 10 games.

Comment

Ashland will host Ferris State week 2 next year.

Comment

The only people that like the in-region component are those who benefit from the regionalized system.

It's a stupid data point for football.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

NW and GV have a corresponding open date.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

NW and GV have a corresponding open date.
                              Normally I would be all about this, but I don't know if it would be in GV's best interest to have Mines, Pueblo, Assumption, AND NW AND Ferris on the same schedule. That would be brutal. Not only from a potential W/L standpoint, but from a health standpoint. As it stands right now, 5 of GV's 10 games are against playoff teams from last year, without NW. Haha. I would love to take on NW in a year where GV isn't already playing three other playoff teams in non-conference.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                                I see Saignaw has an open date in week 7 same as Mankato....Let's link the AD's up
                                could be the game Saginaw needs to get into the playoffs!
                                SV has had a lot of success against out of conference games.
                                beat commerce, beat Bowie, beat Uindy…
                                Mankato would bring a great challenge.
                                I hope to see it!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X