Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU names Shane Richardson new head coach

Coming from UNC Pembroke, where he has been head coach for the last eight seasons. Richardson played at NMU 1996-2000.

https://nmuwildcats.com/news/2022/12...ch-at-nmu.aspx
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

I'm pleasantly happy with this hire as a GV fan. I thought for sure that Nick Postma would be a slam dunk candidate for this spot. He was a "finalist" last time NMU had the opening, so I thought for sure he'd get it this time around. No idea if he was even interested in this position today, however.

Tough to turn down a guy who is an alum that has already been a D2 head coach with a few successful seasons over eight years, though. That's a pretty solid hire. Seems like UNC Pembroke would be a better spot, given recent history, but maybe the draw for an alum was greater.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
      I'm pleasantly happy with this hire as a GV fan. I thought for sure that Nick Postma would be a slam dunk candidate for this spot. He was a "finalist" last time NMU had the opening, so I thought for sure he'd get it this time around. No idea if he was even interested in this position today, however.

Tough to turn down a guy who is an alum that has already been a D2 head coach with a few successful seasons over eight years, though. That's a pretty solid hire. Seems like UNC Pembroke would be a better spot, given recent history, but maybe the draw for an alum was greater.
      He was fired by UNCP.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

He was fired by UNCP.
        Guess that would do it lol.

Comment

NMU might not have as much recent success, but their stadium is clearly superior.

I'll show myself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
            NMU might not have as much recent success, but their stadium is clearly superior.

I'll show myself out.
            The Yooper Dome is pretty cool in its own way. Is it Superior to other GLIAC schools? Yea, I am right behind ya.

Comment

He wasnt interested. If he was he would have gotten the job in 2 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

He wasnt interested. If he was he would have gotten the job in 2 seconds
                Why is that? I'm a big Postma fan, but I'm not sure how anyone could say this when the person who was hired has eight years of D2 head coaching experience, including some very successful seasons.

Comment

Why is that? I'm a big Postma fan, but I'm not sure how anyone could say this when the person who was hired has eight years of D2 head coaching experience, including some very successful seasons.
                  Too much personal info to be shared on the site but the search started as "Does Nick want the job?" "No, ok lets do a real search for someone" I think they got a fantastic hire out of it though, No shade at Shane whatsoever

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Too much personal info to be shared on the site but the search started as "Does Nick want the job?" "No, ok lets do a real search for someone" I think they got a fantastic hire out of it though, No shade at Shane whatsoever
                    Thanks! Curious what changed between now and the last time the job was open.

Comment

Thanks! Curious what changed between now and the last time the job was open.
                      They realized they made a huge mistake not hiring him last time.

Comment

I’m thinking Kle meant what changed from Nick Potsma’s perspective from last time the NMU job was open and now. Why wasn’t he interested this time?
                        Oh well, I’m glad he’s back with GV.

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
                          I’m thinking Kle meant what changed from Nick Potsma’s perspective from last time the NMU job was open and now. Why wasn’t he interested this time?
                          Oh well, I’m glad he’s back with GV.
                          Could be our supposed move to Division I. He could be the associate head coach and secondary coach for a FCS program (with a likely increase in pay) or the head coach of a D2 program that hasn’t been successful in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Could be our supposed move to Division I. He could be the associate head coach and secondary coach for a FCS program (with a likely increase in pay) or the head coach of a D2 program that hasn’t been successful in decades.
                            Kinda feels like that's not gonna be happening for a bit at this point. That recruit from last year mentioned it would be happening for fall of 2023, which obviously isn't going to happen because it would have been announced already and the football schedule wouldn't already be set. I feel like we're almost to a point where it would be too late to announce for 2024, either. Plus, they already announced the 2026 and 2027 games with West Texas A&M, which I don't think they would have agreed to if they didn't think they'd either both be in D2 or both be in FCS. Wouldn't be beneficial to either one of them if one of them was in a different level.

Comment

Kinda feels like that's not gonna be happening for a bit at this point. That recruit from last year mentioned it would be happening for fall of 2023, which obviously isn't going to happen because it would have been announced already and the football schedule wouldn't already be set. I feel like we're almost to a point where it would be too late to announce for 2024, either. Plus, they already announced the 2026 and 2027 games with West Texas A&M, which I don't think they would have agreed to if they didn't think they'd either both be in D2 or both be in FCS. Wouldn't be beneficial to either one of them if one of them was in a different level.
                              Agreed that GVSU isn't moving this year, but only one of the four schools that moved up last year announced it before February.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X