X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Mitchell joining Wisconsin staff

At least somebody's going D1.

Comment

Wowww. Well good for him. Let the hunt begin.

Comment

Good for Mitch.. Hope Becker somehow keeps the troops from leaving. She'll have to act fast.. real fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
          Good for Mitch.. Hope Becker somehow keeps the troops from leaving. She'll have to act fast.. real fast.
          Yeah, but she doesn’t have to act out of desperation either. She’s not in the position MSU was in when Dantonio left in February. A search firm should be used ASAP to bring in external candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Yeah, but she doesn’t have to act out of desperation either. She’s not in the position MSU was in when Dantonio left in February. A search firm should be used ASAP to bring in external candidates.
            I'm not so sure. I'm thinking they'll be moving up soon enough. Gets someone from current staff and maybe most of the key team won't transfer. I'm thinking Wooster. If he doesn't cut it, GV will likely be moving up and get a new staff then. If he does, build on that. The team has too much talent for this season to just break it up.

Comment

I wonder if this has anything to do with why Nick Postma didn't go for the Northern Michigan job again.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                I wonder if this has anything to do with why Nick Postma didn't go for the Northern Michigan job again.
                Doubtful. But I wonder what he's thinking now.

Comment

Unless they've been telling recruits this entire time that Mitchell is leaving, I find it hard to believe they'll hire from outside the program. Signing day is in 2.5 weeks. You're not gonna put a decent class together in that amount of time with an outsider coach unless you've been letting all the recruits know the deal the whole time.

Comment

I thought the same thing. My first guess is they promote from within and most of the staff stays intact, but any chance someone like Sparky McEwen could be a serious candidate? Turned Davenport around quickly, been recruiting the exact same area as GV, has that Ferris pedigree (can't believe I just typed that. Gross).

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post

I thought the same thing. My first guess is they promote from within and most of the staff stays intact, but any chance someone like Sparky McEwen could be a serious candidate? Turned Davenport around quickly, been recruiting the exact same area as GV, has that Ferris pedigree (can't believe I just typed that. Gross).
                      I find it hard to believe they'd go after someone who hasn't had any kind of national success at D2 yet. My guess is either Postma or Wooster is getting promoted, and that's why Postma didn't go for NMU, and why Wooster hasn't gone to Wayne State yet.

I'd like to see them go outside the program, but I just don't know how you can do that with signing day only 2.5 weeks away. And GV has a pretty stacked class committed so far. But when Mitch got the job, once of the applicants that year was Lance Leipold, so.........gotta take a good look at external candidates, in my opinion.

Comment

I find it hard to believe they'd go after someone who hasn't had any kind of national success at D2 yet. My guess is either Postma or Wooster is getting promoted, and that's why Postma didn't go for NMU, and why Wooster hasn't gone to Wayne State yet.

I'd like to see them go outside the program, but I just don't know how you can do that with signing day only 2.5 weeks away. And GV has a pretty stacked class committed so far. But when Mitch got the job, once of the applicants that year was Lance Leipold, so.........gotta take a good look at external candidates, in my opinion.
                        Agreed with everything you just said, including looking at external candidates. We’d be doing ourselves a disservice to not consider external candidates.

Comment

If GV wasn't seriously looking at moving up, I get looking outside. But going D1 is on the radar. So, why not get what one can out of the team next season and not blow it up? Then move up in another year or so and then evaluate the staff? I just believe that going external will result in talent leaving and neutering the new coach. GV can't ignore that D1 issue. Or they need to state emphatically that they are not planning to move up for the foreseeable future.

Comment

I would think the Ferris DC would be getting hc or d1 looks.

Comment

I'm just curious why Wooster's name keeps getting thrown around when you have three people on staff that know the program for 8-12 years. He is the newest hire with one season of coaching ( not counting covid year.) If you keep it internal with him, many staff may leave because of hurt feelings. Louis, Postma to keep the defending GLIAC champs in the right spot or you go external and start fresh and you risk loosing good players.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X