Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lakerblue View Post
    I'm just curious why Wooster's name keeps getting thrown around when you have three people on staff that know the program for 8-12 years. He is the newest hire with one season of coaching ( not counting covid year.) If you keep it internal with him, many staff may leave because of hurt feelings. Louis, Postma to keep the defending GLIAC champs in the right spot or you go external and start fresh and you risk loosing good players.
    I only put Wooster's name out there because he should be a slam dunk candidate for the Wayne State job, but Wayne State hasn't done anything with that spot yet, so it makes me question if maybe Wooster is getting certain guarantees at GV. But I have no information on that. Maybe he just doesn't want to be at Wayne State anymore, in general.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
      If GV wasn't seriously looking at moving up, I get looking outside. But going D1 is on the radar. So, why not get what one can out of the team next season and not blow it up? Then move up in another year or so and then evaluate the staff? I just believe that going external will result in talent leaving and neutering the new coach. GV can't ignore that D1 issue. Or they need to state emphatically that they are not planning to move up for the foreseeable future.
      Best case scenario is that everyone at GV has known about this since shortly after Fickell got hired in November, and all the recruits knew about it already. If that's the case, then any option should be on the table.

The other side of the coin could be that if GV actually is exploring D1, maybe they'd want someone with D1 experience to lead the transition?

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Best case scenario is that everyone at GV has known about this since shortly after Fickell got hired in November, and all the recruits knew about it already. If that's the case, then any option should be on the table.

The other side of the coin could be that if GV actually is exploring D1, maybe they'd want someone with D1 experience to lead the transition?
        if they are exploring d1- you hire outside.

if you stay d2 for 3 or 4 more years you stay in house imo. Not sure if anyone in house is HC material, but they are all good coaches you want to keep, going outside loses relationships and coaches and you press the restart button on an undefeated reg season team. Look at UWF, outside the staff, but a connected guy who was recently there a smart decision. They passed up Im sure many good candidates and went with a culture guy to keep the status quo. No overhaul is needed. ( problem is GV doesnt have anyone that left that can come back recently also)

Comment

Well, if they announce the move up by March, OK. But they haven't moved much on it recently so why essentially throw away a potentially great season? We all have our opinions and bias. I'm not sure what GVs leadership's priorities are though.

Comment

Well, if they announce the move up by March, OK. But they haven't moved much on it recently so why essentially throw away a potentially great season? We all have our opinions and bias. I'm not sure what GVs leadership's priorities are though.
            yes, don't throw away a potential great season in 2023 for new blood to stay d2.

couldn't agree more with the GV leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by lakerblue View Post

if they are exploring d1- you hire outside.

if you stay d2 for 3 or 4 more years you stay in house imo. Not sure if anyone in house is HC material, but they are all good coaches you want to keep, going outside loses relationships and coaches and you press the restart button on an undefeated reg season team. Look at UWF, outside the staff, but a connected guy who was recently there a smart decision. They passed up Im sure many good candidates and went with a culture guy to keep the status quo. No overhaul is needed. ( problem is GV doesnt have anyone that left that can come back recently also)
              I don't think anyone here is going to be happy if the hire is from within the program already, regardless of who it is from within the program. I think people around here are mostly tired of playing second fiddle to Ferris, and wanting an outside hire that can bring something fresh to the program that could surpass Ferris. I don't really have an opinion on what the best option is. Whether it's keep things status quo as a top 3 team in the country and just hope you win against Ferris in the playoffs, or if you should go outside the program and overhaul everything in hopes of finding a higher ceiling. No idea.

Comment

I don't think anyone here is going to be happy if the hire is from within the program already, regardless of who it is from within the program. I think people around here are mostly tired of playing second fiddle to Ferris, and wanting an outside hire that can bring something fresh to the program that could surpass Ferris. I don't really have an opinion on what the best option is. Whether it's keep things status quo as a top 3 team in the country and just hope you win against Ferris in the playoffs, or if you should go outside the program and overhaul everything in hopes of finding a higher ceiling. No idea.
                Maybe, but how many of that group never wanted MM? Again, if GV was a 2-3 loss team, I agree blow it open. But that's not the case at this time. Add in D1 is looming on the horizon, and not a certainty, I've got to favor an internal hire. I'm hoping that we'll get some signal soon.. very soon.

Comment

That’s just it. None of us know what’s going on behind those doors. No one is talking. It took a QB recruit to randomly say it in an interview for us to even realize it’s going to eventually happen. Since then…nothing.

Comment

Maybe, but how many of that group never wanted MM? Again, if GV was a 2-3 loss team, I agree blow it open. But that's not the case at this time. Add in D1 is looming on the horizon, and not a certainty, I've got to favor an internal hire. I'm hoping that we'll get some signal soon.. very soon.
                    Yes, Anyone who doesn't agree with this statement is clueless about how football works. you have the #2 team in the country, keep it in house with Louis ( 7 years) Postma (12 years) Vitzthum (8 years).

You hire the guy based on who the team will follow and resembles MM, not the plays they have called, being a head coach is much more than a play caller (ie. More Defensive success when MM gave the duties to Postma and Louis and eventually just Louis)

Who knows, maybe the kids will start a petition like Wayne State :/

Comment

Random thought…Eric Kohler. Connections to the program and he has been in D1 the last nine years with Chuck. When he actually had full control of the GV offense, it was actually quite good. It took Chuck leaving for that to happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                        Random thought…Eric Kohler. Connections to the program and he has been in D1 the last nine years with Chuck. When he actually had full control of the GV offense, it was actually quite good. It took Chuck leaving for that to happen though.
                        Your connection guys are who left in good terms:

Koehler- Miami
                        Whitlow- Air Force
                        Brechin- Miami
                        Barnett- Iowa

None I believe would be better than an internal hire

Comment

To be honest, I would be extremely excited to see a guy like Bill Brechin come back. Martin has seen enough with him that he’s taken him at every stop (Notre Dame and Miami Ohio)

Of the guys on staff, I’d choose Postma.

He’s been gone a number of years, but a guy like Todd Kolster had a good few years with the Lakers, and has won State titles in high school. Also, just throwing out names for the heck of it, what about Brady at Saginaw? Played for GV back in the day.

In the end, I’d love a guy like Brechin. But also would be good with Postma.

The thing that I go back to is 2009/2010, Mitch made the most sense and had the players. But then to realize that a guy like Liepold got passed up makes me shake my head too (although obviously he wouldn’t have stayed very long).

Comment

Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post
                            To be honest, I would be extremely excited to see a guy like Bill Brechin come back. Martin has seen enough with him that he’s taken him at every stop (Notre Dame and Miami Ohio)

Of the guys on staff, I’d choose Postma.

He’s been gone a number of years, but a guy like Todd Kolster had a good few years with the Lakers, and has won State titles in high school. Also, just throwing out names for the heck of it, what about Brady at Saginaw? Played for GV back in the day.

In the end, I’d love a guy like Brechin. But also would be good with Postma.

The thing that I go back to is 2009/2010, Mitch made the most sense and had the players. But then to realize that a guy like Liepold got passed up makes me shake my head too (although obviously he wouldn’t have stayed very long).
                            That's another thing to consider. If you go with an external candidate, odds are it'll be someone looking to move their way up. If you hire internally, it's possible it could be someone who wants to be here long term. Which would people prefer?

Comment

That's another thing to consider. If you go with an external candidate, odds are it'll be someone looking to move their way up. If you hire internally, it's possible it could be someone who wants to be here long term. Which would people prefer?
                              Right, Heck, there could be some young hot shot assistant coach with Kelly down at LSU who could be the guy who could get GVSU to blow the doors off of Ferris next year, but odds are we would be looking for the next new hot shot coach in 3 to 5 years.

Comment

That’s very true. I’ll be honest, after Coach Martins run, I would’ve bet money that Coach Mitch was going to be on a similar arch. Obviously I was way wrong. Ended up having great win totals, but could never get to the NC like Coach Martin.

If I could choose, I’d rather be known for the place that hot shot coaches come and succeed (and move up) than have a 15-20 year coach that can’t get us past Ferris. The landscape has changed, but I do think we used to get a few more difference maker players by being in the NC games. I’ll take that over long-term stability but never getting there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X