Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please stop the nonsense about GV going to D1, they don't have the sports facilities, fan base , recruiting, size of school or budget, it just doesn't make any sense. A Lefty president who was a Dean at Ferris, probably not on her list of priorites anyways. M.M. skipping town. For Pete's sake, FCS?
    ​​​​Stay focused here, and concentrate on steamrolling that team up North. FCS, really?
    ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by GliacRules! View Post
      Please stop the nonsense about GV going to D1, they don't have the sports facilities, fan base , recruiting, size of school or budget, it just doesn't make any sense. A Lefty president who was a Dean at Ferris, probably not on her list of priorites anyways. M.M. skipping town. For Pete's sake, FCS?
      ​​​​Stay focused here, and concentrate on steamrolling that team up North. FCS, really?
      ​​​​​
      From my understanding, this isn’t just out of pride. The GLIAC continues to fall apart. Teams are already scrambling trying to fill schedules. Travel to the nearest FCS conference would be tough, but I’d rather the administration we proactive, than playing some of the teams GV did last year.

You don’t have to be king of the mountain just to move up. Obviously there’s been some D2 horror stories, but there’s also been successes. And nearly all of those teams weren’t tops before moving.

Comment

Originally posted by GliacRules! View Post
        ​​​​​
        WTF is this post lol
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

A few things to consider here...MONEY...you think any of the coaches you all names are willing to take a pay cut to come back to GVSU as the head coach? That 60-70 hour a week job for maybe 50% of what they are making now? What changed after Martin left? The admin decided that we needed to actually get real about academics and admin did just that. Look up the ASR of the Kelly and Martin teams compared to now...actually look up Ferris and SVSU while your at it. TIP program would be helpful at GVSU like it is at Ferris and SVSU, but GVSU doesnt offer associate degree programs. Mitchell just doubled if not tripled his salary and hooked onto a rising star with Fickell. D1 is only going to happen when Philly decides...all the work is done, she just needs to hit the go button...O and find about 20 million a year for it to work. Right now GVSU is loaded for next year...lets hope they stay remember that. However if they go 9-0 they wont make the playoffs anyway..need more games. They have called EVERY open date team, no takers yet...any ideas on that folks?

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
            I wonder if this has anything to do with why Nick Postma didn't go for the Northern Michigan job again.
            No lol

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
              A few things to consider here...MONEY...you think any of the coaches you all names are willing to take a pay cut to come back to GVSU as the head coach? That 60-70 hour a week job for maybe 50% of what they are making now? What changed after Martin left? The admin decided that we needed to actually get real about academics and admin did just that. Look up the ASR of the Kelly and Martin teams compared to now...actually look up Ferris and SVSU while your at it. TIP program would be helpful at GVSU like it is at Ferris and SVSU, but GVSU doesnt offer associate degree programs. Mitchell just doubled if not tripled his salary and hooked onto a rising star with Fickell. D1 is only going to happen when Philly decides...all the work is done, she just needs to hit the go button...O and find about 20 million a year for it to work. Right now GVSU is loaded for next year...lets hope they stay remember that. However if they go 9-0 they wont make the playoffs anyway..need more games. They have called EVERY open date team, no takers yet...any ideas on that folks?
              I'm sure they're working on every option, but I wonder if Grand Action 2.0 has been brought into the discussion at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                I agree on the money part. I hadn’t realized Brechin was d-coordinator of Miami (Oh). No way he leaves Coach Martin at this point. I’m guessing he makes more as a MAC coordinator than HC at GV.

I’m still intrigued by Ryan Brady. Any chance that would happen? I know he spent nearly all his time with Annese, so maybe there’s no love lost between him and GV. I guess I just don’t know enough about him to know if he’s an upgrade over Postma.

Comment

Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

I agree on the money part. I hadn’t realized Brechin was d-coordinator of Miami (Oh). No way he leaves Coach Martin at this point. I’m guessing he makes more as a MAC coordinator than HC at GV.

I’m still intrigued by Ryan Brady. Any chance that would happen? I know he spent nearly all his time with Annese, so maybe there’s no love lost between him and GV. I guess I just don’t know enough about him to know if he’s an upgrade over Postma.
                  Salaries are actually comparable, if not less. Per random google info, Koehler makes $170,000. I'm sure Brechin is close to that number as well. So money wouldn't be an issue...It would be time and responsibilities for the money that would be the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Salaries are actually comparable, if not less. Per random google info, Koehler makes $170,000. I'm sure Brechin is close to that number as well. So money wouldn't be an issue...It would be time and responsibilities for the money that would be the difference.
                    Trust me on random google numbers...LOL...they aint that close anymore...and just because someone was a good position coach years ago, factor in the academic side and can he actually be a head coach? Lots of moving pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Trust me on random google numbers...LOL...they aint that close anymore...and just because someone was a good position coach years ago, factor in the academic side and can he actually be a head coach? Lots of moving pieces.
                      I know it’s just hypothetical anyways, but I’d choose Brechin over Koehler any day. Koehler was a nice guy and a good coach,
                      but he doesn’t command the room. Brechin was baptized by Kelly and Martin. Again, I know it won’t happen, but that he would be my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

I know it’s just hypothetical anyways, but I’d choose Brechin over Koehler any day. Koehler was a nice guy and a good coach,
                        but he doesn’t command the room. Brechin was baptized by Kelly and Martin. Again, I know it won’t happen, but that he would be my choice.
                        Good to know you never met Koehler. That dude is a nut job. Great coach, but insane lol

Comment

I think there are many different outcomes to the coaching search at GVSU. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the top few choices come from other GLIAC schools. 1. Ryan Brady at SVSU. Has brought back SVSU to the top tier of the league and is one of the few teams that should have beat Ferris the last 2 years and actually seemed to out coach them. He is also a former Laker who played on national championship GVSU teams.
                          2. Sparky McEwen at Davenport. Incredible success this last season and built the Panthers into contenders very quickly.
                          3. Postma or Wooster at GVSU. This is an easy route to go and try to keep the recruits you have but also probably the riskiest of all options. No proven success as a head coach for either. They could be great but they also could get passed by SVSU and Davenport in the next few years. Could Laker nation handle being 4th in the GLIAC?

Seems to be a lot on the line for the administration at GVSU. Seems nearly everyone wanted MM gone so I hope you have a good plan moving forward.

Comment

Ouch, this is gonna be bad for GV in the short term. We'll see what happens after that

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Who are you referring to? The internal hires that have been proposed are only position coaches right now. Brechin and Koehler are at least DC and OC respectively in D1. Honestly though, they're just names thrown out that are external but have ties to the school. I'm not hung up on either of them. I just hope that we get some quality external candidates and don't make a rash move due to timing. If an internal guy is the best option for the program with all candidates considered, then great.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Good to know you never met Koehler. That dude is a nut job. Great coach, but insane lol
                                Only know Koehler from time at GV. Maybe he’s changed. But in terms of insane and fire, nothing like Martin.

Final hypothetical list for me:
                                1) Brechin
                                2) Ryan Brady
                                3) Postma

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X