Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear 2010 GLIAC South Division Champion, 2011 National Runner Up, 2019 Wooden Shoes Winner, and 3-time GLIAC Coach of the Year Paul Winters is available! /s

Though that would be the darkest timeline for WSU if he went to GV and won a championship...

Comment

A local external name to consider...Pete Stuursma. Right down the road at Hope College where he's 46-15. Long time East Grand Rapids head coach where he went 162-34 and won 7 state championships.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen
        Best case scenario is that everyone at GV has known about this since shortly after Fickell got hired in November, and all the recruits knew about it already. If that's the case, then any option should be on the table.
        If this were the case, do you think that all of the coaches and recruits would keep this quiet?

Comment

From what I am hearing... Alot of the current GV players are saying Wooster needs to be the next head coach. I think its a smart hire, keep recruiting class intact, current players happy, and he has only been there for a couple years so he has a different perspective on things compared to other guys.

Still hope they make him earn it against external candidates though. The job is too highly sought after to just give it to someone. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

If this were the case, do you think that all of the coaches and recruits would keep this quiet?
            Would be best case scenario... But not what happened. The guys had no idea until a day or two ago when they heard some rumors.

Comment

Ferris and Grand Valley would likely compete playing FCS teams now, the only difference being that Grand Valley has the facilities, fan base, and maybe the money. Ferris and GV both have been recruiting good enough athletes and players for FCS football. Ferris doesn't have the facilities or the fan base, and likely not the money for FCS Football. Its FCS and considerable travelling. I can't imagine that FCS schools are going out of their way to play many of the championship level D2 teams either.

Ferris does have high profile D1 experience in another sport, since the 1970s, and have even played in a Natl Championship game ( 2012 ) at the highest level in that D1 sport. With that D1 experience in that sport, and all the travelling , I don't think it's likely Ferris would pursue FCS level football. NMU, the only other Gliac school that might be somewhat attractive for FCS , has a nice domed football stadium facility, but that's about it.

The other problem is all the FCS teams in the Midwest are in Illinois, Iowa ,Indiana, Missouri, Youngstown State in Ohio, and a few in North and South Dakota . Otherwise lots of travel out East, down South, or farther West. There are no FCS teams in Michigan, it goes from five FBS teams, and jumps right down to the D2 level. Conference affiliation would be big, not sure how many teams would play independents. GV going to FCS football may be
              viable

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by GliacRules! View Post
                Please stop the nonsense about GV going to D1, they don't have the sports facilities, fan base , recruiting, size of school or budget, it just doesn't make any sense. A Lefty president who was a Dean at Ferris, probably not on her list of priorites anyways. M.M. skipping town. For Pete's sake, FCS?
                ​​​​Stay focused here, and concentrate on steamrolling that team up North. FCS, really?
                ​​​​​
                Ferris and Grand Valley would likely compete playing FCS teams now, the only difference being that Grand Valley has the facilities, fan base, and maybe the money. Ferris and GV both have been recruiting good enough athletes and players for FCS football. Ferris doesn't have the facilities or the fan base, and likely not the money for FCS Football. Its FCS and considerable travelling. I can't imagine that FCS schools are going out of their way to play many of the championship level D2 teams either.

Ferris does have high profile D1 experience in another sport, since the 1970s, and have even played in a Natl Championship game ( 2012 ) at the highest level in that D1 sport. With that D1 experience in that sport, and all the travelling , I don't think it's likely Ferris would pursue FCS level football. NMU, the only other Gliac school that might be somewhat attractive for FCS , has a nice domed football stadium facility, but that's about it.

The other problem is all the FCS teams in the Midwest are in Illinois, Iowa ,Indiana, Missouri, Youngstown State in Ohio, and a few in North and South Dakota . Otherwise lots of travel out East, down South, or farther West. There are no FCS teams in Michigan, it goes from five FBS teams, and jumps right down to the D2 level. Conference affiliation would be big, not sure how many teams would play independents. GV going to FCS football may be
                viable
                What is happening right now lol
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

What is happening right now lol
                  Quite the turnaround in less than 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                    A local external name to consider...Pete Stuursma. Right down the road at Hope College where he's 46-15. Long time East Grand Rapids head coach where he went 162-34 and won 7 state championships.
                    This is a name I really like for an external candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post
                      From what I am hearing... Alot of the current GV players are saying Wooster needs to be the next head coach. I think its a smart hire, keep recruiting class intact, current players happy, and he has only been there for a couple years so he has a different perspective on things compared to other guys.

Still hope they make him earn it against external candidates though. The job is too highly sought after to just give it to someone. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
                      Players should always be A voice but not the ONLY voice. Players always have loved Coach O anywhere he has gone and taken over. He gets short-term success with the players on the current roster, then can't proceed to maintain it. Not saying Wooster would have the same issue. Just saying we can't always base these things on what the players are saying now with who they currently have in the football center.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

This is a name I really like for an external candidate.
                        I do too. In 23 years of head coaching, he has only had two losing seasons...2000 at EGR (his first season there) and 2012 at EGR. He's the kind of coach that just wins. He hasn't really lit it up at Hope, but he has done well. Plus he knows the region and the state quite well. The question would be how well he can recruit out of state.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

How can he earn it vs external candidates? It may not be as highly sought after as one may think. Salary is an issue and future to D1 will also play a roll, let alone current top admin philosophies and values.

And time is not on GVs side. They need to move fast. If not, they may as well blow things up since it's hard to think that major departures wouldn't kick in. Again, if the team wasn't as good as it is, there would be a different story line. But with the D1 issue along with current talent it begs for quick action.. and likely internal at that.

Comment

GV posters talking about D1, again, and Kleshreen waffles and suggests the possibility of GV looking into D1 scenario. Quite a contrast to his mocking and trying to shut down any past suggestions or
                            discussions about GV going to D1 (FCS). Sounds like a WTF moment, and quite the turnaround. Hmmmm

Comment

GV posters talking about D1, again, and Kleshreen waffles and suggests the possibility of GV looking into D1 scenario. Quite a contrast to his mocking and trying to shut down any past suggestions or
                              discussions about GV going to D1 (FCS). Sounds like a WTF moment, and quite the turnaround. Hmmmm
                              You seem to be struggling with the idea that something can be discussed, but not be a fan of it. I think D1 is a horrible idea. But it is quite clear that that's what the near future is holding.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                                Do you find it odd that Pete left right after the Grady deal and the letters from the MHSAA on the illegal benefits? I guess that was just timing huh? Kinda like Annese putting GRCC into the dumpster fire then leaving...and Hope has made some nice runs in the playoffs yes? First round beat down and thats it...dispite having a budget that is more than most D2 schools in the state? Hummm...not sure Petes the guy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X