Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post
    I think there are many different outcomes to the coaching search at GVSU. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the top few choices come from other GLIAC schools. 1. Ryan Brady at SVSU. Has brought back SVSU to the top tier of the league and is one of the few teams that should have beat Ferris the last 2 years and actually seemed to out coach them. He is also a former Laker who played on national championship GVSU teams.
    2. Sparky McEwen at Davenport. Incredible success this last season and built the Panthers into contenders very quickly.
    3. Postma or Wooster at GVSU. This is an easy route to go and try to keep the recruits you have but also probably the riskiest of all options. No proven success as a head coach for either. They could be great but they also could get passed by SVSU and Davenport in the next few years. Could Laker nation handle being 4th in the GLIAC?

Seems to be a lot on the line for the administration at GVSU. Seems nearly everyone wanted MM gone so I hope you have a good plan moving forward.
    I would be absolutely shocked if Brady is at all a candidate. There are a ton of burned bridges between GVSU and Brady, I not sure about between him and the AD but there would be a ton of internal push back to even interview him. And nothing against the way Brady runs his program, there are many ways to skin a cat, and it seems to a recipe for success at SVSU but I know for a fact that the higher ups at GV do not want their program run the way Brady has done it at SVSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

How can he earn it vs external candidates? It may not be as highly sought after as one may think. Salary is an issue and future to D1 will also play a roll, let alone current top admin philosophies and values.

And time is not on GVs side. They need to move fast. If not, they may as well blow things up since it's hard to think that major departures wouldn't kick in. Again, if the team wasn't as good as it is, there would be a different story line. But with the D1 issue along with current talent it begs for quick action.. and likely internal at that.
      It is the most sought after job in D2 football. If you think differently, you're flat out wrong.

My suggestions of him earning it was simply hoping they don't just hand the keys over without talking to other people.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Do you find it odd that Pete left right after the Grady deal and the letters from the MHSAA on the illegal benefits? I guess that was just timing huh? Kinda like Annese putting GRCC into the dumpster fire then leaving...and Hope has made some nice runs in the playoffs yes? First round beat down and thats it...dispite having a budget that is more than most D2 schools in the state? Hummm...not sure Petes the guy.
        Real question for alot of GV fans but would love your opinion...

Would we be happy with a coach who has a questionable history if he brings us back to National Championships?

Comment

I hope GV takes their time. It's good for the message board.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Would we be happy with a coach who has a questionable history if he brings us back to National Championships?
            Nope...cause when playing by the rules now he has not been that successful. I want a guy that can win and not be an issue when the NCAA comes calling. GV can find the right guy to move them forward,,,look what Mines did last year...and GVSU is going to be strict on academic success as well and few coaches are equiped to handle that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

For a guy like Annese, yes. He had regular season and post season success at every stop he was at prior. But looking at Stuursma, he hasn’t had any post season success at Hope. Given that we need someone to get us over the hump, I don’t know.

To answer your question not knowing the candidate though, I’m ok with someone with a few questions and an edge, yes. Not one that’s going to get GV with infractions, but I’m tired of not winning Championships.

Comment

Nope...cause when playing by the rules now he has not been that successful. I want a guy that can win and not be an issue when the NCAA comes calling. GV can find the right guy to move them forward,,,look what Mines did last year...and GVSU is going to be strict on academic success as well and few coaches are equiped to handle that as well.
                Sorry I wasnt saying Stuurs is the guy.

Obviously every school wants a coach who is by the book and also wins national championships. I just find it hard to believe GV fans would be upset if we had one of the guys who bent the rules and dominated. Especially because BK was the king of bending every rule possible.

Comment

Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

For a guy like Annese, yes. He had regular season and post season success at every stop he was at prior. But looking at Stuursma, he hasn’t had any post season success at Hope. Given that we need someone to get us over the hump, I don’t know.

To answer your question not knowing the candidate though, I’m ok with someone with a few questions and an edge, yes. Not one that’s going to get GV with infractions, but I’m tired of not winning Championships.
                  I agree 100%.

Comment

I'd take just making it out of the region at this point.

Comment

So if you can get GVSU to add associate degree classes, wave admission on TIP students and have a grad rate of say 20-30% BUT win nattys your all in? Be last in the conference in ASR but win your all in? Thats my question...cause to me to use athletes to win championships then send 4 our of 5 into the world with no degree is not right...but that just me.

Comment

So if you can get GVSU to add associate degree classes, wave admission on TIP students and have a grad rate of say 20-30% BUT win nattys your all in? Be last in the conference in ASR but win your all in? Thats my question...cause to me to use athletes to win championships then send 4 our of 5 into the world with no degree is not right...but that just me.
                        You’re right. It’s not. It’s no better than North Carolina creating fake degree programs just for athletes to keep them eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by GliacRules! View Post
                          GV posters talking about D1, again, and Kleshreen waffles and suggests the possibility of GV looking into D1 scenario. Quite a contrast to his mocking and trying to shut down any past suggestions or
                          discussions about GV going to D1 (FCS). Sounds like a WTF moment, and quite the turnaround. Hmmmm
                          Excellent work patriot. Right-aligned text really makes the lefty-overlords squirm. Left-aligned text is all a ploy to indoctrinate us, always has been.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

You’re right. It’s not. It’s no better than North Carolina creating fake degree programs just for athletes to keep them eligible.
                            Well thats your guy up north...so...if thats what you want, go for it. Philly would never allow it nor would the board..but..Ferris not only promotes it but enjoys the bad boy rep. Different strokes as they say. Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

Nope, it's not just you. :-) But so many GV followers don't look at those aspects.

Comment

Well thats your guy up north...so...if thats what you want, go for it. Philly would never allow it nor would the board..but..Ferris not only promotes it but enjoys the bad boy rep. Different strokes as they say. Be careful what you wish for.
                                He’s definitely not my guy. I’d never hire TA. No championship is worth the baggage he’d bring. I recommended Stuursma, but his baggage pales in comparison. But he does have the Gradygate issue. The way it shook out, old man Grady got the brunt of the blame. How much Stuursma knew or turned a blind eye to…I don’t know.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X