Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Well Mitch was offered and accepted the job on Saturday according to what he told the team and also what Wisconsin said in their comments so I dont think it was a timing thing. One thing Mitchell has going for him is honesty. And guys can still go into the portal since its a coaching change, same with the letter of intent guys. And what are your thoughts with Tony Annese and his job interviews...did he discuss those with the team as well?
    Not asking if he told them about the interviews, just about accepting the job. I'm sure he's had other interviews and offers he turned down waiting for what he considered the right job. Coaches say a lot of things (see coach in Ann Arbor who said he was done flirting with the NFL last year, and then...lol).

From what I've seen of interviews with TA, he isn't interested in being someone's assistant coach. He "seems" like he's happy with the big fish in the small pond deal. If there was an FCS school in Michigan I think he'd be interested but who knows. He could bolt for a MAC or some other school to be their offensive coordinator in a week and I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, this isn't about TA. It's about who you're next coaching hire is. And I'm voting for Paul Winters to come to Allendale and restore GV to their glory days!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
      Any reason to believe this was timed up to stop kids from jumping into the transfer portal. I'm sure this was known about by MM and administrative staff well before the announcement. If they don't like the new hire, I believe there's another portal window from May 1 to May 15th. You D2 board members need to get this hire right. We need someone in the GLIAC to beat so we can keep our SOS up. : )

And btw...for all the GVers who wanted to get rid of Mitchell, are you guys happy? Or is there a little remorse setting in?
      Unless it has been changed recently the portal windows only apply to D1

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

Unless it has been changed recently the portal windows only apply to D1
        Correct

Comment

I'm a little worried because I've heard this is going to be a 2-3 week thing, which would push GV in to signing day with no coach? Yikes.
          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
            I'm a little worried because I've heard this is going to be a 2-3 week thing, which would push GV in to signing day with no coach? Yikes.
            Yeah, I'm not so sure that they value the makeup of the current team. External hire... bye bye team.

Comment

When Ric Wesley resigned as basketball coach a interim coach was appointed while the search proceeded.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Yeah, I'm not so sure that they value the makeup of the current team. External hire... bye bye team.
                I’m actually not so worried about that. I’d be curious the statistic, but I’d guess that the transfers due to a coaching change in D2 are far fewer than high level D1. I’d guess that the attrition would likely be to guys giving up football altogether, rather than them saying they don’t like the staff. But the main guys at GV, some could go get playing time at other schools. Hardly any are going to improve on facilities and conditions that they get at GV though.

I’m more concerned about finding a coach that will push GV over the top. That is priority #1 over a quick process.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

If they go with an external hire, I think the repercussions are going to be larger than anyone here thinks they would be.
                  2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

I’m actually not so worried about that. I’d be curious the statistic, but I’d guess that the transfers due to a coaching change in D2 are far fewer than high level D1. I’d guess that the attrition would likely be to guys giving up football altogether, rather than them saying they don’t like the staff. But the main guys at GV, some could go get playing time at other schools. Hardly any are going to improve on facilities and conditions that they get at GV though.

I’m more concerned about finding a coach that will push GV over the top. That is priority #1 over a quick process.
                    That's a valid perspective, but there's no can't miss hire out there. If there is, get him today. And don't kid yourself, though it might not be the best path, I wouldn't be surprised to see the top team talent go to look elsewhere with an external hire. One would expect some overhauls with a new coach so those higher end guys may say heck with it and see if the grass is greener elsewhere. Sadly, it likely won't be and they might not get much PT either. But who's around to talk them into staying?

Comment

• Originally posted by tip79 View Post
                      When Ric Wesley resigned as basketball coach a interim coach was appointed while the search proceeded.
                      And Bball is totally different. How many players? And how good was/is the team? Totally different animal.

Comment

• Originally posted by tip79 View Post
                        Except he stepped down just a few days after the season was over. Plus Cornell Mann was hired about a month later. Not a whole lot going on with the Basketball world at that time aside from live tournament watching.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

If they go with an external hire, I think the repercussions are going to be larger than anyone here thinks they would be.
                          You may be correct. I think there's also some validity to the D1 vs D2 argument regarding transferring out with a coaching change. In D1, guys are looking to go wherever they can get the most PT and exposure for going to the next level. Obviously it's every player's dream to play professional, but I feel like in D2 you're far more signed on for the school/education than what you see in D1/P5.

Comment

• I don't believe that losing recruits or transferring is at all in play in the timing of the hire. Waiting might actually help keep recruits stay on board, the head coach is just one factor, the school itself is a huge factor and all the assistants who personally recruited them are still there. So unless it is an internal candidate it would actually be better (for GV) to wait until after sighing day (not so good for the recruits who may not know if any coaches will be around after they sign.) As far as transfers leaving, that is extremely unlikely until the summer based on timing. Any transfers have to be enrolled by this Friday at their new schools (or last Friday depending on the school) in order to attend this semester. That is a pretty tight turnaround so it will come down to the new coach and not timing for players wanting to possibly transfer out.

Comment

• GV will take the time necessary to hire the right coach who will take an already great program and team and make it better - we will get interest from coaches across the country from all levels - D1, D2, D3 and NFL assistant coaches - as well as a current assistant or two I'm sure - our AD knows what she is doing and will move quickly but take the time necessary to get the best coach for GV, and that means both the team and the school - and yes, academic achievement is part of any hire at GV - I think there is a desire to get someone locked in PRIOR to signing day BUT as someone previously mentioned the assistant coaches run that and the recruiting coordinator is still on board and running it now - I also think it is a priority to communicate with those assistants and the team so no players get nervous and jump ship - it will be interesting and a little nerve racking because of the unknown but the answer will come soon enough - Go Lakers!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
                                GV will take the time necessary to hire the right coach who will take an already great program and team and make it better - we will get interest from coaches across the country from all levels - D1, D2, D3 and NFL assistant coaches - as well as a current assistant or two I'm sure - our AD knows what she is doing and will move quickly but take the time necessary to get the best coach for GV, and that means both the team and the school - and yes, academic achievement is part of any hire at GV - I think there is a desire to get someone locked in PRIOR to signing day BUT as someone previously mentioned the assistant coaches run that and the recruiting coordinator is still on board and running it now - I also think it is a priority to communicate with those assistants and the team so no players get nervous and jump ship - it will be interesting and a little nerve racking because of the unknown but the answer will come soon enough - Go Lakers!!
                                The job is a good one, but is it really going to attract DI and NFL assistants?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X