Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Wrestling wasnt on the page either but someone throws in 3 Million and boom we are on...by the way GVSU still has to pony up 7 million on that deal but...so be a leader and throw in say 5 Million to the new Basket ball arena and lets get this part started...
    What is with this shaming of people for pointing out shortcomings of the athletics program? Why weren't we telling the people who sat here complaining about Mitchell for 13 years to go pay for their own new coach? Why aren't we telling the people complaining about Becker to pony up the money for a new AD? You can both not be a millionaire and also still point out what is wrong with athletics. That's a thing that is possible. If nobody is allowed to complain about anything unless they have the money to fix it, then we might as well shut this board down.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
      Here's what I would do if I was King of GV for a bit. I would go internal with this hire, and do my best to keep the current team and recruiting class together, because there's legitimate national championship talent to work with right now, and probably for the next few years. So hire internal, with the expectation being that GV is at least getting out of the region. If GV is able to do that with the new coach over the next couple years, then great. Keep the coach on going forward, or even for a potential D1 transition if it happens. But make the contract length one which matches up with the final season of D2 competition if D1 is actually in the near future.

If new internal hire coach is not able to get out of the region by the time a D1 transition is announced, let them go, and go the external route, since you can't compete for a title for the first three years of D1 competition, anyway. Blow it all up at that point and re-tool everything during that transition.
      While I like this talent on the team, Ferris isn’t getting much worse next year. And essentially last year was a draw. I get we have the talent to beat the other teams in D2, but we’re still at a draw with a Ferris team to get out of the region. I’m not against an internal hire, but I don’t think it’s as easy as run-it-back because we have a championship caliber team. Ferris has found a way to beat us more than we beat them (since Mitch took over).

And maybe I’m not concerned about it as others, but I’m still not concerned about transfers out. At D2, it’s more about the school and perks. GV is about the best it can get in those categories. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I’m just not concerned about that.

Time will obviously tell if this will help push us over beating Ferris. But if history showed anything, Mitchell lost to them more often than he won, and not changing anything will likely lead to more losses.

Comment

• I wonder if the current staff will be given severance or allowed to stay on salary until next year. They are the people getting jobbed by the uncertainty here.

Comment

• Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

While I like this talent on the team, Ferris isn’t getting much worse next year. And essentially last year was a draw. I get we have the talent to beat the other teams in D2, but we’re still at a draw with a Ferris team to get out of the region. I’m not against an internal hire, but I don’t think it’s as easy as run-it-back because we have a championship caliber team. Ferris has found a way to beat us more than we beat them (since Mitch took over).

And maybe I’m not concerned about it as others, but I’m still not concerned about transfers out. At D2, it’s more about the school and perks. GV is about the best it can get in those categories. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I’m just not concerned about that.

Time will obviously tell if this will help push us over beating Ferris. But if history showed anything, Mitchell lost to them more often than he won, and not changing anything will likely lead to more losses.
          GV fans talking about Ferris sound so much like Pitt fans talking about NW. Pitt ruled the MIAA and was a contender every year until NW came along and upped the ante. Then it was decades of being almost good enough, then it was a decade of mediocrity with a fluke NC thrown in. GVs story is very similar.

Pitt went with a complete change after 30 years of coaching inbreeding.

The new staff is 1-1 against NW, with the losing team missing an opportunity to take the win in the closing seconds of both games.so I'm not even sure if it worked. Lol. Time will tell.

It will be interesting to see what GV does to try and get over the hump.

Comment

What is with this shaming of people for pointing out shortcomings of the athletics program? Why weren't we telling the people who sat here complaining about Mitchell for 13 years to go pay for their own new coach? Why aren't we telling the people complaining about Becker to pony up the money for a new AD? You can both not be a millionaire and also still point out what is wrong with athletics. That's a thing that is possible. If nobody is allowed to complain about anything unless they have the money to fix it, then we might as well shut this board down.
            You take this board way to serious lol The man is being a sarcastic *******, which normal people can appreciate and move on.

Comment

Explain and go slowly since I dont read very fast how I am shaming the AD or the program. I am saying if you want something done pitch in and help if you can...the poster had said if it were on the block he would help fund it. Trust me, I dont shame ANYONE for not being able to help out. I DO encourage those that can help to do so regardless of your take on politics or admin..your money helps the student athletes. And does GVSU need help? Hell yes they do...name me one D2 school that has more funds that they know what to do with. Go ahead and point out where I am wrong please..

Comment

OK...so whats your plan? who is your guy? and remember this is D2 with a certain level of pay...Brian Kelly aint coming back for 2.3% of what he gets paid now...go ahead please...

Comment

• With a move to D1 in the future, I wonder if they will start paying D1 money now to attract the right coach.

Comment

OK...so whats your plan? who is your guy? and remember this is D2 with a certain level of pay...Brian Kelly aint coming back for 2.3% of what he gets paid now...go ahead please...
                    If there was a way to bring in an outside HC that would keep the fantastic staff we currently have, I would be all for it. Playing the balance of wanting a fresh outlook on things and not getting rid of some of the best coaches in D2.

Comment

Because Annese is the best coach in D2 football history thus far in to his career. He has the best winning percentage among all coaches in D2 history with at least 10 years of experience. Try as they might, GV is unlikely to find someone who is going to be better. So the more likely option is you just try and stay close, and hopefully win more close games than you lose. The best way to do that is to keep it internal. If you want to take the risk of trying to find someone who is going to revolutionize everything and somehow leave the best coach in D2 history in the dust, then GV can try and do that, but the odds are stacked against them. It's possible, but unlikely.

Comment

Oh I completely agree. Obviously it’s just a wish list, but mine are 1) Brechin, 2) Brady, and 3) Postma. I know I’ll be wrong.

And again, it’s more-so that even with a talented team coming back, Ferris is still bringing back a ton too. I don’t mind going into a season knowing that that’s our game; if we get past Ferris, we’d have a good chance of winning a NC. But obviously I would love to finally get over that hump. That’s not me saying we need to blow this thing up either, I’m just naming guys who I like the potential of. If it gets announced tomorrow that Postma or Wooster are hired, I’ll still be just as excited for September. But I’ll also know that it’ll be 1-2 crazy tough games against Ferris, which history has showing over the past decade, we struggle to beat them.

Comment

Explain and go slowly since I dont read very fast how I am shaming the AD or the program. I am saying if you want something done pitch in and help if you can...the poster had said if it were on the block he would help fund it. Trust me, I dont shame ANYONE for not being able to help out. I DO encourage those that can help to do so regardless of your take on politics or admin..your money helps the student athletes. And does GVSU need help? Hell yes they do...name me one D2 school that has more funds that they know what to do with. Go ahead and point out where I am wrong please..
                          You don't need to make condescending comments like "donate millions of dollars for a new basketball arena and it will happen" simply because someone points out that the basketball arena currently sucks. But if you do want to make those comments, then make sure and also point them to the people on here who complain about the football coach or AD that they don't like. Because their money can go towards that, too, if they want to change something.

I just think it's interesting that when people on here are complaining about the football coach or the AD, there's never a suggestion to put their money where their mouth is and donate to get rid of them. There's a number of people on here who complain, and can make those changes happen with their pockets, but they are never told to give money to change what they complain about. It's always directed at the people who don't have those resources pointing out a deficiency, as if people who don't have the resources to help out aren't allowed to have an opinion. If I had millions, the first thing I would do is make sure the GV baseball and softball fields got lights.

Comment

You don't need to make condescending comments like "donate millions of dollars for a new basketball arena and it will happen" simply because someone points out that the basketball arena currently sucks. But if you do want to make those comments, then make sure and also point them to the people on here who complain about the football coach or AD that they don't like. Because their money can go towards that, too, if they want to change something.

I just think it's interesting that when people on here are complaining about the football coach or the AD, there's never a suggestion to put their money where their mouth is and donate to get rid of them. There's a number of people on here who complain, and can make those changes happen with their pockets, but they are never told to give money to change what they complain about. It's always directed at the people who don't have those resources pointing out a deficiency, as if people who don't have the resources to help out aren't allowed to have an opinion. If I had millions, the first thing I would do is make sure the GV baseball and softball fields got lights.
                            but... if someone donated millions for a new basketball arena... it would happen... like the wrestling addition... but if someone donated millions for a new AD... they would have to fire someone... which is unlikely... Same thing though!!! Love the redirection to being offended repeatedly on this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

but... if someone donated millions for a new basketball arena... it would happen... like the wrestling addition... but if someone donated millions for a new AD... they would have to fire someone... which is unlikely... Same thing though!!! Love the redirection to being offended repeatedly on this forum.
                              You are right we should never ask anyone with money to help the school...thats a terrible idea cause then those that dont have the money to donate will feel bad...I am sorry...see ya kids on the other board..peace out.

Comment

• Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

lol who is offended? Why is that your default? Not sure how saying questions and demands should be rendered to both sides is "being offended" lol.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X