• Show
Clear All

• Scott Wooster named GVSU Head Coach

Official release: https://gvsulakers.com/news/2023/1/2...ley-state.aspx
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Here it is being announced to the team:

Comment

A safe hire, but not a bad hire. Keeps the team and recruiting class together while still bringing an outside perspective from his time at Wayne State. Good luck Coach!

Comment

With THIS current team, it's shaping up to be a perfect hire. His lack of HC experience may be a fair issue, but with the right staff and this team... they'll have their best chances. Now get 2 more games on the schedule! (For a history lesson.. MM first year had one regular season loss.(MTU) and they shut out FSU!)

Comment

I am being serious on this because I know nothing about him other than he came from Wayne State. Coached at Wayne State for 11 years. Again am I missing something as Wayne State has been one of the worse and most inconsistent GLIAC programs the last 11 years? I am just curious as why the GVSU fans thing this was their best option. This is one if not the top job in DII and to hire a guy with zero HC experience and bringing lessons learned from Wayne State seems like a stretch to me. Went with a hire popular with the players who of course wanted to keep an in house guy. I am just not certain that GVSU upgraded or hired the best and most qualified candidate. Just really want to know why this is a good hire, not looking to be attacked by Laker nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
            With THIS current team, it's shaping up to be a perfect hire. His lack of HC experience may be a fair issue, but with the right staff and this team... they'll have their best chances. Now get 2 more games on the schedule! (For a history lesson.. MM first year had one regular season loss.(MTU) and they shut out FSU!)
            From what I have heard, this was the hire that most of the players wanted, so hopefully that means good things.

I don't mind the no HC experience. Most people were looking for some kind of new perspective to come in to this program, anyway. If that means someone who isn't stuck in the "safe" ways of being a head coach yet, then good.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post
              I am being serious on this because I know nothing about him other than he came from Wayne State. Coached at Wayne State for 11 years. Again am I missing something as Wayne State has been one of the worse and most inconsistent GLIAC programs the last 11 years? I am just curious as why the GVSU fans thing this was their best option. This is one if not the top job in DII and to hire a guy with zero HC experience and bringing lessons learned from Wayne State seems like a stretch to me. Went with a hire popular with the players who of course wanted to keep an in house guy. I am just not certain that GVSU upgraded or hired the best and most qualified candidate. Just really want to know why this is a good hire, not looking to be attacked by Laker nation.
              Wooster just finished his third year at GV. Wayne State kind of fell off a cliff after he left. Wooster was at Wayne State when Wayne was a (fairly) competitive product in the GLIAC, including coaching the offensive line that eventually led Wayne State to the national title game in 2011, although Wooster had moved in to the tight ends coach role for that season.

From everything I've heard from people, he's been very good at his particular jobs along the entire way, and is someone who connects well with players. He's certainly been good in his three years with GV, since this past season might have been GV's best offensive line in a while, and the run game has been especially good since he got to GV.

I personally am fine with someone who has seemed to excel at his assistant jobs being named the head coach without prior head coach experience. It's a good way to maybe get some new ideas for how to run a program, for a program that has maybe been doing things the same way for a *very* long time now and has, maybe as a result, been demoted to the 2nd best in the conference. Maybe he'll have some ideas that seasoned head coaches might be too "in their ways" to go through with that can get GV back on top. We'll see. I'm sure there will be some growing pains, and I'm sure there will be the same group of GV "fans" on here calling for his head the first time he goes for a 4th down that isn't converted. That will never go away.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post
                This is a great hire for GVSU. Scott Wooster is one of the best if not the best coach I have had the pleasure to play for. He recruited me to WSU and was the singular factor that held that program together during the winters tenure. Had he been the head coach we would be looking at WSU football much differently than we do now.

He would have gotten a shot sooner in my opinion had he not been under winters for so long. Winters as I have said before limits his assistant coaches ability to shine and show what they can do for the program. Woosters ability to connect with players but to also develop players is unmatched. I have witnessed him take recruits that we believed would never play for us and turn them into players who would eventually get invited to NFL training camps. He will continue the strong tradition that is Grand Valley State Football.

All in all I am thrilled for coach but also extremely disappointed in the WSU administration for letting our own get away.

Comment

The hire makes sense. Sometimes the least flashy names end up being program changing for the positive. The players love him and he‘s new enough in the program that he brings his own philosophy to the table. Here’s to hoping for great things in 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by The Warrior View Post

This is a great hire for GVSU. Scott Wooster is one of the best if not the best coach I have had the pleasure to play for. He recruited me to WSU and was the singular factor that held that program together during the winters tenure. Had he been the head coach we would be looking at WSU football much differently than we do now.

He would have gotten a shot sooner in my opinion had he not been under winters for so long. Winters as I have said before limits his assistant coaches ability to shine and show what they can do for the program. Woosters ability to connect with players but to also develop players is unmatched. I have witnessed him take recruits that we believed would never play for us and turn them into players who would eventually get invited to NFL training camps. He will continue the strong tradition that is Grand Valley State Football.

All in all I am thrilled for coach but also extremely disappointed in the WSU administration for letting our own get away.
                    I really am surprised Wayne State didn’t move on him considering they had quite the head start.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

I really am surprised Wayne State didn’t move on him considering they had quite the head start.
                      Rumor on the street is that he had been offered the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I have heard the same

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Very interesting. At the time, there’s no way he could have known Mitchell was leaving, let alone that he’d be in his current position. I wonder what might have made him stay.

Comment

Mitchell may have made it known he was looking to move up or out internally (at least with his coaches) and put the bug in Wooster's ear so he'd stay put. With all the position coaches staying seems like people had a good idea which way this was headed. Good for him.

Wonder if Reid regrets transferring out..

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                              Mitchell may have made it known he was looking to move up or out internally (at least with his coaches) and put the bug in Wooster's ear so he'd stay put. With all the position coaches staying seems like people had a good idea which way this was headed. Good for him.

Wonder if Reid regrets transferring out..
                              The reason I'm just guessing that's not the case is because Tariq Reid at the end of December tweeted out a whole video about how he was returning to GV for his final season in 2023. But then he announced his transfer after Mitchell left. That leads me to believe nobody really knew it was coming. I feel like if they knew Mitchell was leaving and Wooster would be the replacement, their best returning offensive player wouldn't have changed his mind about staying.

I'm hopeful they can coax him in to coming back now that his run game coordinator is becoming the head coach, but we'll see. He has the talent to be an FBS starter, so if he has already gotten some offers, maybe he just wants to try that out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X