Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an odd hire. From position coach to HC is a big step and requires a completely different skillset. I dislike the inbreeding, but we'll have to see how it works out. He may be great, or he may be a flop.

Comment

This is very disappointing news to me and I presume most Wayne State fans. I thought Wooster would have been an excellent and logical choice for the Wayne State HC job.

Comment

Has Wayne State even named a new AD? What coach in their right mind is going to take a job offered by an interim AD...that usually never works out well. WSU is still in turmoil. WSU loss is GVSU gain...big time on this guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
          This is an odd hire. From position coach to HC is a big step and requires a completely different skillset. I dislike the inbreeding, but we'll have to see how it works out. He may be great, or he may be a flop.
          Wooster is the eighth head coach in Grand Valley State football history and the fourth consecutive head coach to be hired within the then-current staff. The three previous head coaches, Brian Kelly (118-35-2), Chuck Martin (74-7), and Matt Mitchell (117-31) combined for a 309-73-2 (.802) record since 1991. Just curious what is Pitt States record since 1991? Maybe GVSU is all wrong ya know?

Comment

85-90 was Franchione at .898, 91-2009 was Broyles at .806, 2010-2019 was Beck at .701 that's where the inbreeding caught up with Pitt. Honestly, the last few years of the Broyles tenure are when the slip started, but Beck was 100% Pitt. Player, grad assistant, position coach, DC, OC, assistant hc, and hc. I think the lack of exposure to anything else really magnified the shortcomings. He was great at every job except head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              85-90 was Franchione at .898, 91-2009 was Broyles at .806, 2010-2019 was Beck at .701 that's where the inbreeding caught up with Pitt. Honestly, the last few years of the Broyles tenure are when the slip started, but Beck was 100% Pitt. Player, grad assistant, position coach, DC, OC, assistant hc, and hc. I think the lack of exposure to anything else really magnified the shortcomings. He was great at every job except head coach.
              Nice response. The thing with Wooster is that even though he was on the staff and technically an internal hire, he hasn't been at GV all that long. In fact if he went to Wayne, I'd say he was more of a Wayne internal hire than what he is at GV. In light of the circumstances, he offers a great unique blend of history as GV's next HC. A vulnerability is that, true, he hasn't been a HC, so that is a question that remains to be answered. There may have been one other possible top candidate (external), but one can readily see the route to support this hire.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Brady wasn't even on the list. Just look at Saggy this season as a bit of an indication why. And that's not even looking under Saggy's hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Nice response. The thing with Wooster is that even though he was on the staff and technically an internal hire, he hasn't been at GV all that long. In fact if he went to Wayne, I'd say he was more of a Wayne internal hire than what he is at GV. In light of the circumstances, he offers a great unique blend of history as GV's next HC. A vulnerability is that, true, he hasn't been a HC, so that is a question that remains to be answered. There may have been one other possible top candidate (external), but one can readily see the route to support this hire.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Brady wasn't even on the list. Just look at Saggy this season as a bit of an indication why. And that's not even looking under Saggy's hood.
                You do know Brady is more GVSU then Wooster right? So since Brady is a Laker grad should saggy be worried. We are not worried as Brady took us over coming off of NCAA probation and had to report more to the NCAA than any GLIAC team over the last 3 years. He has also been the only coach to out coach Annese over the last 2 years. You speak so badly of Brady and he helped you guys win a natty. What a great fan base at GVSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

You speak so badly of Brady and he helped you guys win a natty.
                  I don't necessarily get in the middle of everyone's fight, but Brady had 23 yards passing and -7 yards rushing in the year that GV won the championship. When he had significant time in the 2001 playoffs, the Lakers were beaten by UND In the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I don't necessarily get in the middle of everyone's fight, but Brady had 23 yards passing and -7 yards rushing in the year that GV won the championship. When he had significant time in the 2001 playoffs, the Lakers were beaten by UND In the championship.
                    That’s great. When I was a player and yes it was LONG ago everyone on the team helped contribute to any success we had as a team. Hell if he played in the playoffs and had stats he help contribute. Not bad for a 5’9” guy that weighed 165 pounds. I do like his coaching resume too. Coaching mentor has been Tony Annese over the last 10+ years and his 1st head coaching job was taking over an SVSU program under NCAA violations and had barely 40 players on the roster. Somehow went 5-6 in his 1st year then 7-4 and last year was 8-3 with wins over Bowie and Indianapolis. I just find it comical that GVSU speaks so badly over one of their former players and grads. Is it to much to wish the best for a former Laker? Postma is a Cardinal guy deep down but we wish him the best.

Comment

That’s great. When I was a player and yes it was LONG ago everyone on the team helped contribute to any success we had as a team. Hell if he played in the playoffs and had stats he help contribute. Not bad for a 5’9” guy that weighed 165 pounds. I do like his coaching resume too. Coaching mentor has been Tony Annese over the last 10+ years and his 1st head coaching job was taking over an SVSU program under NCAA violations and had barely 40 players on the roster. Somehow went 5-6 in his 1st year then 7-4 and last year was 8-3 with wins over Bowie and Indianapolis. I just find it comical that GVSU speaks so badly over one of their former players and grads. Is it to much to wish the best for a former Laker? Postma is a Cardinal guy deep down but we wish him the best.
                      Coaching is different than playing. I would think that's obvious. And just because someone was a GV player, even a star, it won't make me rubber stamp them as a head coach. As for Brady.. I still say look at last season. There's more, but I'm not calling it out here. I have my opinion, you have yours. So why doesn't Saggy hire any of their former players for a HC?

Comment

Among most of our base, there isn't a lot of bad-mouthing of Brady. Let's start there. A couple of folks, maybe...doesn't mean all of us. We know Brady is a good coach and is doing well at SV. The rivalry is more fun when SV is good. Yes, he played for us...no argument. As far as "being more GV than Wooster", I'm not sure I agree...and frankly don't see what difference it would make anyway. Yeah, he played here...but never coached a down here, and nearly all of his experience in the coaching regard came from time at our primary rivals. He's less and less GV by the day. Doesn't mean we want anything bad for him.

Next, there are some things style-wise to how he runs things at SV that some of us hear about that, if true, probably wouldn't fly at GV. Not a commentary...is what it is. That's true of a lot of things, and works both ways. Why is it us not wishing him well to state facts? Additionally, who is to say he applied or was even interested in our gig? Whether any of us would "want" him or not is moot.

Last, a couple of posts ago you mentioned that he out-coached Ferris the last two years. I suppose, but those were both games that SV lost despite being a combined +5 in turnover margin. Not sure how losses when your opponent gives you the ball a whole bunch equates to out-coaching someone, but OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Coaching is different than playing. I would think that's obvious. And just because someone was a GV player, even a star, it won't make me rubber stamp them as a head coach. As for Brady.. I still say look at last season. There's more, but I'm not calling it out here. I have my opinion, you have yours. So why doesn't Saggy hire any of their former players for a HC?
                          Former SVSU players are too busy being a head coach in the NFL. Rob Reeves (old SVSU guy), Brady, and Postma (old SVSU guy) all interviewed for the last opening a few years ago. Thanks for your concern for the SVSU program.

Comment

Former SVSU players are too busy being a head coach in the NFL. Rob Reeves (old SVSU guy), Brady, and Postma (old SVSU guy) all interviewed for the last opening a few years ago. Thanks for your concern for the SVSU program.
                            Huh? Whatever. We'll enjoy handing saggy another W come this fall. 40-11 all time. 4-0 in the play offs. Currently on a 10 game winning streak. Scoreboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Among most of our base, there isn't a lot of bad-mouthing of Brady. Let's start there. A couple of folks, maybe...doesn't mean all of us. We know Brady is a good coach and is doing well at SV. The rivalry is more fun when SV is good. Yes, he played for us...no argument. As far as "being more GV than Wooster", I'm not sure I agree...and frankly don't see what difference it would make anyway. Yeah, he played here...but never coached a down here, and nearly all of his experience in the coaching regard came from time at our primary rivals. He's less and less GV by the day. Doesn't mean we want anything bad for him.

Next, there are some things style-wise to how he runs things at SV that some of us hear about that, if true, probably wouldn't fly at GV. Not a commentary...is what it is. That's true of a lot of things, and works both ways. Why is it us not wishing him well to state facts? Additionally, who is to say he applied or was even interested in our gig? Whether any of us would "want" him or not is moot.

Last, a couple of posts ago you mentioned that he out-coached Ferris the last two years. I suppose, but those were both games that SV lost despite being a combined +5 in turnover margin. Not sure how losses when your opponent gives you the ball a whole bunch equates to out-coaching someone, but OK.
                              I know GVSU and Ferris have been equal in talent the last few years but sadly we have not had that talent since the probation we were on years ago. Slowly Brady has brought back in enough talent to be competitive but still Ferris and GVSU has a huge talent gap on the country. Yes turnover margin is part of the game of football and just goes to the point SVSU was more disciplined in those games to be +5 which equates to coaching. You are right though I am pretty sure Brady didn’t apply.

Comment

Why are you upset that another school is not coming and taking your coach away? You sound like....you WANT another team to take Brady away from SV?
                                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X