Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Huh? Whatever. We'll enjoy handing saggy another W come this fall. 40-11 all time. 4-0 in the play offs. Currently on a 10 game winning streak. Scoreboard.
    When you say huh? You know the Green Bay coach is a SVSU guy right? Just letting you know as you seemed lost on that. Anyways you might be right about next year but then again Wooster hasn’t coached a game yet. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Why are you upset that another school is not coming and taking your coach away? You sound like....you WANT another team to take Brady away from SV?
      No just shocked comparing the 2 resumes that Brady is still a Cardinal as I thought GVSU was suppose to be the top DII school in the country and they hired a guy with no HC experience and has been at Wayne State for the majority of his coaching career. Not even a coordinator, just surprising for such a prestigious university like GVSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Rumor on the street is that he had been offered the job.
        Maybe the NFL guys being considered for the GV job will end up with Wayne State.

Jeff Fisher is still out there...

Jeff Fisher on Twitter: "Guess where? https://t.co/vMeMdRz1lJ" / Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

No just shocked comparing the 2 resumes that Brady is still a Cardinal as I thought GVSU was suppose to be the top DII school in the country and they hired a guy with no HC experience and has been at Wayne State for the majority of his coaching career. Not even a coordinator, just surprising for such a prestigious university like GVSU.
          I think you're just overrating his playing time at GV as part of the criteria for being a coach. He spent one season as a GA/position coach at GV 20 years ago. Wooster has been in D2 football longer than Brady, and has been coaching at GV for three full seasons, as the run game coordinator, which might as well be the co-offensive coordinator. I just think you might be giving too much credence to playing career over coaching career in this instance. It wouldn't make sense to me to favor a coach who hasn't been associated with your program in 20 years over a coach who has been one of your best assistants for the last three seasons.

Others have also alluded to there being a coaching style with Brady that would not fit well at GV. I can't really speak to that, but it has been shared by multiple people on here. It seems pretty clear that GV was aiming to make things comfortable for the current players, which have been extremely successful, and therefore sticking with a known coaching commodity that the players like makes sense.
          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I think you're just overrating his playing time at GV as part of the criteria for being a coach. He spent one season as a GA/position coach at GV 20 years ago. Wooster has been in D2 football longer than Brady, and has been coaching at GV for three full seasons, as the run game coordinator, which might as well be the co-offensive coordinator. I just think you might be giving too much credence to playing career over coaching career in this instance. It wouldn't make sense to me to favor a coach who hasn't been associated with your program in 20 years over a coach who has been one of your best assistants for the last three seasons.

Others have also alluded to there being a coaching style with Brady that would not fit well at GV. I can't really speak to that, but it has been shared by multiple people on here. It seems pretty clear that GV was aiming to make things comfortable for the current players, which have been extremely successful, and therefore sticking with a known coaching commodity that the players like makes sense.
            I don’t take account anything into his playing days but he did have a decent head coach to learn from back then. I do take into account he was a coordinator and was mentored by the best coach in the country for 10 years over a guy mentored by Winters and wasn’t even a coordinator. Hey I am not saying it should have been Brady but I think the GVSU guys mentioned FBS, FCS, and even NFL guys interested in the job and they landed on Wooster. Sounds like the players are running the program for such a quick hire.

Comment

I don’t take account anything into his playing days but he did have a decent head coach to learn from back then. I do take into account he was a coordinator and was mentored by the best coach in the country for 10 years over a guy mentored by Winters and wasn’t even a coordinator. Hey I am not saying it should have been Brady but I think the GVSU guys mentioned FBS, FCS, and even NFL guys interested in the job and they landed on Wooster. Sounds like the players are running the program for such a quick hire.
              They're the #2 program in the country. The players should absolutely be having a heavy influence on who gets hired. It isn't like this is Wayne State forcing them to hire a current assistant who has never done anything but lose.

Comment

They're the #2 program in the country. The players should absolutely be having a heavy influence on who gets hired. It isn't like this is Wayne State forcing them to hire a current assistant who has never done anything but lose.
                Not sure on this one. All players want a person on staff to get hired as it’s easier for them to keep their positions. That might work out but I also know MANY years ago SVSU did a national search for a coach and brought in Jerry Kill from Pitt State and it positively changed our program for the best for years to follow. He was not the popular choice but was the most qualified as Pitt St had a powerhouse at that time. I believe in hiring the best most qualified individual with a proven track record. Maybe Wooster was the best resume GVSU received, I guess it’s very possible.

Comment

You sound as if you are upset that GVSU didnt steal your amazing coach. Is this the same guy that literally handed FSU the game and was up 5 turnovers? Same guy right? Not sure about his other deals but the only guy to out coach Annese last year and win a game just headed out to Madison...get a grip son. SVSU had a nice season...no doubt but lets just calm down a bit...maybe WSU will steal him, there is still hope in the valley.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

You sound as if you are upset that GVSU didnt steal your amazing coach. Is this the same guy that literally handed FSU the game and was up 5 turnovers? Same guy right? Not sure about his other deals but the only guy to out coach Annese last year and win a game just headed out to Madison...get a grip son. SVSU had a nice season...no doubt but let’s just calm down a bit...maybe WSU will steal him, there is still hope in the valley.
                    Son? You are funny. I wish I was that young. Say grandpa next time. LOL love playing with you young bucks as I watch this great playoff game. These 2 QBs are awesome. Brady is not going anyplace so not worried. SVSU will be just fine besides GVSU not many DII teams in the country can offer the facilities we have and throw in our dorms the school recruits itself some pretty good athletes now. Looking for great years ahead!

Comment

Not sure on this one. All players want a person on staff to get hired as it’s easier for them to keep their positions. That might work out but I also know MANY years ago SVSU did a national search for a coach and brought in Jerry Kill from Pitt State and it positively changed our program for the best for years to follow. He was not the popular choice but was the most qualified as Pitt St had a powerhouse at that time. I believe in hiring the best most qualified individual with a proven track record. Maybe Wooster was the best resume GVSU received, I guess it’s very possible.
                      Prior to Kill getting to SVSU, SVSU had went 4-7, 7-4, 6-5, 7-4, 3-6......so yea, I would hope they weren't hiring from within. GV, with Wooster on staff, has gone 12-1 and 10-2, with all three losses coming to the best team in the country. There isn't much reason to blow that up.

Comment

To paraphrase from your earlier post.. "Thanks for your concern for the GV program." No matter I enjoy comments from all directions. As for my Huh?... I'm well aware, but NFL hires has nothing to do with D2 hires. Anyway, NBD. My opinion stands about Brady.

Some players likely had a say.. but probably minimal. A quick hire should help keep a top 5 team in the country together though. I would think that drove timing as much as anything. As I noted earlier, I like the selection. It seems like you have something that is better. Could you identify who that might be? I did mention that Wooster has not been an HC so that is a question. But, it looks like he's keeping the staff together (if they want) so at least for one season, that can be overcome. There are always questions when a new HC is hired, but outside of maybe one external hire option, this is the best choice for GV today. His personality, coaching style, and energy all point the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

To paraphrase from your earlier post.. "Thanks for your concern for the GV program." No matter I enjoy comments from all directions. As for my Huh?... I'm well aware, but NFL hires has nothing to do with D2 hires. Anyway, NBD. My opinion stands about Brady.

Some players likely had a say.. but probably minimal. A quick hire should help keep a top 5 team in the country together though. I would think that drove timing as much as anything. As I noted earlier, I like the selection. It seems like you have something that is better. Could you identify who that might be? I did mention that Wooster has not been an HC so that is a question. But, it looks like he's keeping the staff together (if they want) so at least for one season, that can be overcome. There are always questions when a new HC is hired, but outside of maybe one external hire option, this is the best choice for GV today. His personality, coaching style, and energy all point the right way.
                          To be honest I was pulling for Postma. Been there forever, is a coordinator, and he is a SVSU alum so he has to be cool. Again like I said in my earlier post I am just surprised a school like GVSU didn’t get some awfully good resumes to consider. I don’t think any coach they would have hired would have lost many players off of the team. Where they gonna go with better facilities than GVSU? The best player is sitting in the portal right now so if the hire was to keep the team together I just don’t think many would have left anyways. Again maybe Wooster was their best resume. Time will tell but GVSU isn’t going away next year, team is loaded with talent.
                          Last edited by SVSUAlum; 01-22-2023, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Prior to Kill getting to SVSU, SVSU had went 4-7, 7-4, 6-5, 7-4, 3-6......so yea, I would hope they weren't hiring from within. GV, with Wooster on staff, has gone 12-1 and 10-2, with all three losses coming to the best team in the country. There isn't much reason to blow that up.
                            I have been around a long time, when wasn’t GVSU winning like that? I thought you all wanted to take the next step? Now sure we at SVSU would be happy with years you have put together but the complaint about MM was he couldn’t get ya to the next step but one of his assistant does? Don’t get that logic. Kind of hope Postma goes to Wayne State now. That program could be a sleeping giant.

Comment

I have been around a long time, when wasn’t GVSU winning like that? I thought you all wanted to take the next step? Now sure we at SVSU would be happy with years you have put together but the complaint about MM was he couldn’t get ya to the next step but one of his assistant does? Don’t get that logic. Kind of hope Postma goes to Wayne State now. That program could be a sleeping giant.
                              Well that's kind of the point. If the program keeps winning and being successful, why would you blow that up? On the off-chance that you happen to find someone nobody else is aware of who can dominate D-II's all-time winning percentage leader? That's most likely not going to happen. So they've opted to keep it going as is, and try and just be on the right side of these close games against Ferris when they count. GV was a last-minute field goal away from, most likely, winning the national title this year.

And who knows, maybe Wooster is the guy who takes the next step. Maybe he has some ideas as a fresher member of the staff that he couldn't implement as just an assistant. Guess we'll find out.

I'm guessing if Mitchell had been losing 3+ games a year with regularity lately, this wouldn't be the hire that was made.

Comment

Well that's kind of the point. If the program keeps winning and being successful, why would you blow that up? On the off-chance that you happen to find someone nobody else is aware of who can dominate D-II's all-time winning percentage leader? That's most likely not going to happen. So they've opted to keep it going as is, and try and just be on the right side of these close games against Ferris when they count. GV was a last-minute field goal away from, most likely, winning the national title this year.

And who knows, maybe Wooster is the guy who takes the next step. Maybe he has some ideas as a fresher member of the staff that he couldn't implement as just an assistant. Guess we'll find out.

I'm guessing if Mitchell had been losing 3+ games a year with regularity lately, this wouldn't be the hire that was made.
                                This is great news then so we don’t have to listen to you all complain like you do every year about the coach when he continues to go 10-1, 9-2, then 8-3. Well here is your coach. Good luck.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gvsufootb...77410453475330

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X