Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Wooster is the eighth head coach in Grand Valley State football history and the fourth consecutive head coach to be hired within the then-current staff. The three previous head coaches, Brian Kelly (118-35-2), Chuck Martin (74-7), and Matt Mitchell (117-31) combined for a 309-73-2 (.802) record since 1991. Just curious what is Pitt States record since 1991? Maybe GVSU is all wrong ya know?
    Didnt know this... Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

This is great news then so we don’t have to listen to you all complain like you do every year about the coach when he continues to go 10-1, 9-2, then 8-3. Well here is your coach. Good luck.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gvsufootb...77410453475330
      There's people here who are going to complain no matter what. That's all they know how to do. I'm just so confused at your attitude about this whole thing. You appear surprised that GV hired someone on their own staff, and therefore they might not win as much, but you think they should have hired someone not on the staff, who, more than likely, would not win as much? No matter who got hired, it is pretty tough to improve on 1 loss.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

There's people here who are going to complain no matter what. That's all they know how to do. I'm just so confused at your attitude about this whole thing. You appear surprised that GV hired someone on their own staff, and therefore they might not win as much, but you think they should have hired someone not on the staff, who, more than likely, would not win as much? No matter who got hired, it is pretty tough to improve on 1 loss.
        No attitude at all as I am a SVSU guy so I hope GVSU goes 0-11 every year. Problem is you all win every year and complain about the coach and then love an internal hire. Just weird. Also think it should have went to Postma if it was gonna be an internal hire. How long has he been there as a coordinator? Just from the outside my initial post was asking why a position coach that has been there for a few years coming from Wayne State get the job? What do I know though I thought MM was a good coach.

Comment

No attitude at all as I am a SVSU guy so I hope GVSU goes 0-11 every year. Problem is you all win every year and complain about the coach and then love an internal hire. Just weird. Also think it should have went to Postma if it was gonna be an internal hire. How long has he been there as a coordinator? Just from the outside my initial post was asking why a position coach that has been there for a few years coming from Wayne State get the job? What do I know though I thought MM was a good coach.
          "you all" is quite the statement, considering it is the same 3 people who complained about Mitchell every year from the day he was hired.

I'm confident that the administration is more in tune with who the better internal options were than anyone on here. We don't even know if Postma applied for the position, and even if so, I'm guessing they did their due diligence among the players and other coaches as to who the better fit would be. I guess we'll see if any assistants leave in the coming days/weeks. If not, I'd think that's because they were all united in who the best option among them would be.

Comment

This is great news then so we don’t have to listen to you all complain like you do every year about the coach when he continues to go 10-1, 9-2, then 8-3. Well here is your coach. Good luck.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gvsufootb...77410453475330
            Don't count on it. Many of the OG won't be happy until multiple Natty's are back. At least on this board. BTW, the ol' academic restriction that GV self imposes is also a factor. Yes it does impact the roster.. typically more than one player. TA, Brady or Sparky don't deal with that. MTU does a bit secondarily as the kids flunk out sooner or later up there. A metric not to be ignored and yes, a part of MM's legacy at GV. I just strongly believe that academics should be a big factor with D2 athletics.

Comment

"you all" is quite the statement, considering it is the same 3 people who complained about Mitchell every year from the day he was hired.

I'm confident that the administration is more in tune with who the better internal options were than anyone on here. We don't even know if Postma applied for the position, and even if so, I'm guessing they did their due diligence among the players and other coaches as to who the better fit would be. I guess we'll see if any assistants leave in the coming days/weeks. If not, I'd think that's because they were all united in who the best option among them would be.
              You could very well be correct, maybe Postma didn’t apply but I know he applied for the SVSU job so I would think he would want the GVSU job. I wouldn’t be shocked if he left for Wayne State. If the administration puts some money into that program it could become huge. Great location to recruit the best talent in the state.

Comment

Where’s some evidence for GV being this academically elite school? We aren’t as restrictive as Tech, there’s no way. Sure we are better than Ferris or Davenport, but I can’t imagine we are turning away that many players.

Comment

Originally posted by yote_7 View Post
                  Where’s some evidence for GV being this academically elite school? We aren’t as restrictive as Tech, there’s no way. Sure we are better than Ferris or Davenport, but I can’t imagine we are turning away that many players.
                  I agree. GVSU acceptance rate is 92%. One of the easiest state universities to get into. Heck even SVSU had a lower acceptance rate. Not quite Hillsdale. Academic standards?

Comment

There's a limited number of academically-challenged players that the GV athletics department can "nudge" through the admissions process. Other schools do not have limits on such exceptions.

Comment

There's a limited number of academically-challenged players that the GV athletics department can "nudge" through the admissions process. Other schools do not have limits on such exceptions.
                      Wow you must be the most knowledgeable person of everyone’s athletic and university policies than anyone in the country. Pretty sure you know nothing about the internal workings of anybody’s athletic policy. NCAA has standards for DII athletes are the standards at GVSU more strict? Can you share the internal “nudging” that other schools do? Seems like you have the knowledge to destroy some programs, do the right thing and share your knowledge of nudging from other schools to the NCAA.

Comment

I never said that GV is academically elite. But GV's athletics doesn't allow some of the, let's just say, weaker academic type athletes in. So yes, GV does indeed lose out on some talent due to a self imposed standard. I don't typically like to bring it up as many think just like you did. It's not about the entire student body. And no, the standard isn't higher for athletics either.. just not lower than for the other non-athlete students. That' not case elsewhere. It's likely one of the reason that GV has a great ASR for the team. I think GV's is in the 80's FSU... way less than 50.. way less.

And FYI, MTU isn't that hard to get into. They just weed out the students with their course offerings. If they don't pass, they leave.

Comment

Wow you must be the most knowledgeable person of everyone’s athletic and university policies than anyone in the country. Pretty sure you know nothing about the internal workings of anybody’s athletic policy. NCAA has standards for DII athletes are the standards at GVSU more strict? Can you share the internal “nudging” that other schools do? Seems like you have the knowledge to destroy some programs, do the right thing and share your knowledge of nudging from other schools to the NCAA.
                          Every school has these exceptions. It's well-documented every recruiting season. Every school allows in student-athletes who don't meet the school's normal academic profile. Nobody said anything about not meeting D-II standards. Here's some examples from some schools around the country and stories on the process.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...4_11_2018_.pdf

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...222-story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-top-colleges/

https://edintegrity.biomedcentral.co...79-021-00094-6

http://mycatalog.txstate.edu/undergr...pecial-talent/

https://regents.universityofcaliforn.../a1attach2.pdf

You think every student-athlete at Michigan has a 32+ ACT and a 3.8+ GPA in high school, which is around the median of freshman classes? Every school has a special talent admissions board that considers prospective student-athletes' academic profile along with their athletics profile (or music, or any other thing that can be beneficial for the university), and votes on whether they want to admit them based on that talent rather than based on their academic prowess which might not be up to snuff normally. Some schools only allow this to happen for a certain number of student-athletes per team. Some schools do not have a set limit. None of this is news. There's not a single school in the country that is going to turn down 5-star recruit who barely meets the NCAA admission standards, but is well below the school's academic profile, whether it is Harvard or anyone else. They'll be admitted via this process.
                          Last edited by KleShreen; 01-22-2023, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I never said that GV is academically elite. But GV's athletics doesn't allow some of the, let's just say, weaker academic type athletes in. So yes, GV does indeed lose out on some talent due to a self imposed standard. I don't typically like to bring it up as many think just like you did. It's not about the entire student body. And no, the standard isn't higher for athletics either.. just not lower than for the other non-athlete students. That' not case elsewhere. It's likely one of the reason that GV has a great ASR for the team. I think GV's is in the 80's FSU... way less than 50.. way less.

And FYI, MTU isn't that hard to get into. They just weed out the students with their course offerings. If they don't pass, they leave.
                            Here is a list of the academic elite in DII. MTU and Davenport seem pretty good and Hillsdale is at a completely different level. I do like the graduation rates at GVSU for their athletes.
                            https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/12/19...xcellence.aspx

Comment

Every school has these exceptions. It's well-documented every recruiting season. Every school allows in student-athletes who don't meet the school's normal academic profile. Nobody said anything about not meeting D-II standards. Here's some examples from some schools around the country and stories on the process.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...4_11_2018_.pdf

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...222-story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-top-colleges/

https://edintegrity.biomedcentral.co...79-021-00094-6

http://mycatalog.txstate.edu/undergr...pecial-talent/

https://regents.universityofcaliforn.../a1attach2.pdf

You think every student-athlete at Michigan has a 32+ ACT and a 3.8+ GPA in high school, which is around the median of freshman classes? Every school has a special talent admissions board that considers prospective student-athletes' academic profile along with their athletics profile (or music, or any other thing that can be beneficial for the university), and votes on whether they want to admit them based on that talent rather than based on their academic prowess which might not be up to snuff normally. Some schools only allow this to happen for a certain number of student-athletes per team. Some schools do not have a set limit. None of this is news. There's not a single school in the country that is going to turn down a 2.05 GPA, 22 ACT student who is a 5-star recruit. Whether it is Harvard or anyone else. They'll be admitted via this process.
                              You are a complete joke. Read your own articles. Most are big DI schools and ZERO info on DII schools. Quit being a want to be know it all. You know nothing and showed me nothing on the admissions of any school around us. You are a joke.

Comment

You are a complete joke. Read your own articles. Most are big DI schools and ZERO info on DII schools. Quit being a want to be know it all. You know nothing and showed me nothing on the admissions of any school around us. You are a joke.
                                lol ok. They're about D1 schools because that's who cares the most. Nobody cares about D2 recruiting and admission standards, so the information isn't highlighted like for D1. It is the same at every level of the NCAA. But here you go, to appease you being unable to use google:

Overview of Saginaw Valley State University Admissions

Saginaw Valley State, admitting around three-quarters of applicants each year, is a largely accessible school. Students whose SAT/ACT scores and GPA are within the institution’s requirements have a good chance of being admitted. This institution has a robust admissions process that involves a multitude of academic measures. Applicants must complete an online application. A persuasive essay and glowing recommendation letters can bolster your application, along with being involved with student organizations and attempting a challenging course load. Students with unique talents and accomplishments can still receive strong consideration even if their GPAs are outside of the mean range. Interested students should check out the university’s website, which has helpful tips and contact information for the admissions offices. Students should make a campus visit to determine if the institution is a good fit for them.
                                This one, from Ferris (https://www.ferris.edu/admissions/te...021-2022.pdf):
                                Extracurricular activities (as admission factor): Special consideration in the admissions process given for participation in both school and nonschool-related activities of interest to the college, such as clubs, hobbies, student government, athletics, performing arts, etc.

Talent/ability (as admission factor): Special consideration given to students with demonstrated talent/abilities in areas of interest to the institution (e.g., sports, the arts, languages, etc.).
                                But sure. You're right. Schools definitely never admit student-athletes who are below the school's regular academic profile.

Or, instead of making yourself look like a fool, you could have done the bare minimum checking that comes with 30 seconds on google.
                                Last edited by KleShreen; 01-22-2023, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X