Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

Here is a list of the academic elite in DII. MTU and Davenport seem pretty good and Hillsdale is at a completely different level. I do like the graduation rates at GVSU for their athletes.
    https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/12/19...xcellence.aspx
    Yup. I'm pretty sure these numbers were before Dport had D2 football. There are years delay in the numbers. So they look back to like 2015. I think they allow 6 years to graduate. I get lost in the math. "Thus, the graduation rates for the 2012-2015 cohorts would have been reported from 2019 to 2022."

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Yup. I'm pretty sure these numbers were before Dport had D2 football. There are years delay in the numbers. So they look back to like 2015. I think they allow 6 years to graduate. I get lost in the math. "Thus, the graduation rates for the 2012-2015 cohorts would have been reported from 2019 to 2022."
      Yes I would have to agree that this is before football for Davenport but I don’t know that for sure as this list was for 2022. Hard to believe that it includes Davenport with football but hard to follow some of these numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by yote_7 View Post
        Where’s some evidence for GV being this academically elite school? We aren’t as restrictive as Tech, there’s no way. Sure we are better than Ferris or Davenport, but I can’t imagine we are turning away that many players.
        These are the average GPAs of the incoming freshman classes of Michigan’s public universities. I tend to put the most stock into these as opposed to acceptance rate considering there are some schools students won’t even bother attempting to apply to.

1. Michigan: 3.87
        2. Michigan Tech: 3.78
        3. Michigan State: 3.74
        4. Grand Valley State: 3.70
        4. Michigan-Dearborn: 3.70
        6. Oakland: 3.53
        7. Central Michigan: 3.52
        8. Western Michigan: 3.50
        9. Saginaw Valley State: 3.47
        10. Michigan-Flint: 3.46
        11. Wayne State: 3.42
        12. Eastern Michigan: 3.41
        13. Northern Michigan: 3.34
        14. Ferris State: 3.30
        15. Lake Superior State: 3.16

These have stayed pretty consistent over the past decade. It’s not to say that GVSU is some academic powerhouse, but it is the top regional university in the state when it comes to the academic profile of its incoming classes.

As for what we allow when it comes to athletes…I have no idea. From the sound of it, though, the rules seem to more align with D1 requirements than the do the old days of taking anyone that couldn’t academically qualify for D1.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

These are the average GPAs of the incoming freshman classes of Michigan’s public universities. I tend to put the most stock into these as opposed to acceptance rate considering there are some schools students won’t even bother attempting to apply to.

1. Michigan: 3.87
          2. Michigan Tech: 3.78
          3. Michigan State: 3.74
          4. Grand Valley State: 3.70
          4. Michigan-Dearborn: 3.70
          6. Oakland: 3.53
          7. Central Michigan: 3.52
          8. Western Michigan: 3.50
          9. Saginaw Valley State: 3.47
          10. Michigan-Flint: 3.46
          11. Wayne State: 3.42
          12. Eastern Michigan: 3.41
          13. Northern Michigan: 3.34
          14. Ferris State: 3.30
          15. Lake Superior State: 3.16

These have stayed pretty consistent over the past decade. It’s not to say that GVSU is some academic powerhouse, but it is the top regional university in the state when it comes to the academic profile of its incoming classes.

As for what we allow when it comes to athletes…I have no idea. From the sound of it, though, the rules seem to more align with D1 requirements than the do the old days of taking anyone that couldn’t academically qualify for D1.
          The progression of academic standards has been crazy to think about. When I graduated high school, I was dead in the middle of the GPA and ACT scores that GVSU accepted for the typical freshman class, and now I would easily be at the bottom of the class lol. I got accepted to Michigan and now they'd laugh at my GPA and ACT and use it as the bottom of a bird cage.
          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

lol ok.

This one, from Ferris (https://www.ferris.edu/admissions/te...021-2022.pdf):

But sure. You're right. Schools definitely never admit student-athletes who are below the school's regular academic profile.

Or, instead of making yourself look like a fool, you could have done the bare minimum checking that comes with 30 seconds on google.
            This is a policy at every state university in the country. Doesn’t show anything. GVSU has the same policy. Every university probably used the same law firms writing of it. So we are to believe that every GVSU football player got into the university based on their academic profile? Don’t be a joke.

Comment

This is a policy at every state university in the country. Doesn’t show anything. GVSU has the same policy. Every university probably used the same law firms writing of it. So we are to believe that every GVSU football player got into the university based on their academic profile? Don’t be a joke.
              That's not at all what I said lol. You are now making things up. Go back and read. I literally said every school in the country has this, and you argued it because I didn't show D2 examples. Now I've shown D2 examples, and you're still arguing, even though you now agree with me? What are we doing here lol. I said some schools use this criteria much more than other schools, because some schools have limits on such exceptions and some schools do not. You can go ahead and not believe me if you want, I don't care lol. GV uses it every year. SV uses it every year. Ferris uses it every year. Every school uses it every year. Some schools use it 20 times a year. Some schools use it two times a year.
              Last edited by KleShreen; 01-22-2023, 09:04 PM.

Comment

The progression of academic standards has been crazy to think about. When I graduated high school, I was dead in the middle of the GPA and ACT scores that GVSU accepted for the typical freshman class, and now I would easily be at the bottom of the class lol. I got accepted to Michigan and now they'd laugh at my GPA and ACT and use it as the bottom of a bird cage.
                Yeah, I remember GVSU’s being 3.6 in the teens and 3.5 in the aughts. In the late 90s, the minimum requirement for entry was something like 2.7. We’re definitely not in the early 2000s anymore. We’ve gone from a backwoods regional to a major economic driver in West Michigan.

Comment

Funny a little google digging shows the standard to play football at GVSU: Here are the high academic standards to play football.
                  820 on the SAT
                  2.0 GPA
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Funny a little google digging shows the standard to play football at GVSU: Here are the high academic standards to play football.
                    820 on the SAT
                    2.0 GPA
                    Could you do some digging and find something to counter Kle’s claim about the amount of exceptions we have? This isn’t relevant

Comment

820 on the SAT
                      2.0 GPA
                      Those are the NCAA D2 minimum requirements lol they're the same for every D2 school:

If you enroll full-time at a Division II school, and you have not met all the Division II academic requirements, you may not compete in your first year. However, if you meet the requirements to be a partial qualifier, you may practice and receive an athletics scholarship in your first year at college. To be a partial qualifier, you must graduate high school and meet ALL the following requirements:
                      • Complete 16 core courses:
                        • Three years of English.
                        • Two years of math (Algebra 1 or higher).
                        • Two years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab science if your high school offers it).
                        • Three additional years of English, math or natural or physical science
                        • Two years of social science
                        • Four additional years of English, math, natural or physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy
                        • Earn at least a 2.0 GPA in your core courses.
                      • Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching your core-course GPA on the Division II sliding scale.

Comment

Originally posted by yote_7 View Post

Could you do some digging and find something to counter Kle’s claim about the amount of exceptions we have? This isn’t relevant
                        Nope just like we can’t find out how many Ferris has or Davenport. Not sure GVSU is not doing anything everyone else is doing. I am sure your WR Rison got there on his academics.

Comment

Those are the NCAA D2 minimum requirements lol:

The picture of your standards is an email reply from your head coach spliced into the website sharing your schools info. Yes it is the NCAA minimum same thing every school has to follow and there is NO special talent exception below this standard.

Comment

You could very well be correct, maybe Postma didn’t apply but I know he applied for the SVSU job so I would think he would want the GVSU job. I wouldn’t be shocked if he left for Wayne State. If the administration puts some money into that program it could become huge. Great location to recruit the best talent in the state.
                            Maybe the money saved from not paying an over-tenured coach top dollar will allow some cash to spread to other parts of the team lol

Comment

The picture of your standards is an email reply from your head coach spliced into the website sharing your schools info. Yes it is the NCAA minimum same thing every school has to follow and there is NO special talent exception below this standard.
                              Correct. I don't understand why you are not getting this. I think you are conflating two different things.

The minimum standard to play D2 football is a 2.0 core-class GPA and a sliding scale ACT/SAT score. That is the same for every D2 school.

Schools themselves also have their own academic standards. Hillsdale's typical freshman class has a median GPA of over 3.8 and an ACT/SAT in the 90th percent tile. They still admit recruits who have a 2.5 GPA and a 23 ACT via their special talent admissions board who wouldn't otherwise get in to the school normally. SVSU's typical freshman class has a median GPA around 3.5 and an ACT around 28. They still admit recruits who have a 2.1 GPA and a 22 ACT via their special talent admissions board who wouldn't otherwise get in to the school normally. Every school does this for special talent student-athletes. Some schools use it for 25 recruits a year. Some schools use it for 1 recruit a year. Some schools have a cap on the number of special exceptions they will make. Some schools don't.

A football recruit with the D2 minimum 2.0 GPA and sliding scale SAT/ACT might be admitted to one school via the special talent board and not another. Hillsdale probably isn't going to take a kid with a 2.05 GPA and the SAT/ACT sliding scale minimum. Ferris might. GVSU might. SVSU might. Or one of them might. Or two of them might.

Comment

Correct. I don't understand why you are not getting this. I think you are conflating two different things.

The minimum standard to play D2 football is a 2.0 core-class GPA and a sliding scale ACT/SAT score. That is the same for every D2 school.

Schools themselves also have their own academic standards. Hillsdale's typical freshman class has a median GPA of over 3.8 and an ACT/SAT in the 90th percent tile. They still admit recruits who have a 2.5 GPA and a 23 ACT via their special talent admissions board who wouldn't otherwise get in to the school normally. SVSU's typical freshman class has a median GPA around 3.5 and an ACT around 28. They still admit recruits who have a 2.1 GPA and a 22 ACT via their special talent admissions board who wouldn't otherwise get in to the school normally. Every school does this for special talent student-athletes. Some schools use it for 25 recruits a year. Some schools use it for 1 recruit a year. Some schools have a cap on the number of special exceptions they will make. Some schools don't.
                                See now you are full of crap. My boy plays for Hillsdale and NO ONE is getting let into that school. They don’t have a special talent policy anyplace. You picked the wrong school to try to make as an example. You make up stuff and know nothing I am sure about GVSU either. Hunter Rison is all anyone has to say about your academic standards.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X