Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

That's fine, but that's not what we were discussing. You're just changing the subject because you lost the subject that was being discussed.

Just to be clear - what are your thoughts on the four SVSU players who were suspended a whole one game for sexually assaulting their own teammate? At least SVSU kicked off the player who was charged with attempted murder, I guess. So that's nice.
    Lol yup we have had some real beauties that is for sure and we take the craziest transfers too. At least I admit it and don’t cry about the admission policy that is basically equal at all GLIAC schools. To think GVSU loses to Ferris because of academics standards and the kids Ferris has access to is different than the kids GVSU does is a little insane since the schools offer scholarships to the same kids coming out of high school. It all comes back to the original subject this Scott Wooster hire, remember that. With such great academic standards can Scott Wooster take the next step? Kle you should be ashamed of yourself, you joker.

Comment

Originally posted by yote_7 View Post

It’s actually an admissions requirement for all students at GV. You can’t get in unless you support and commit domestic violence
      See at least one guy admits it. Just kidding I get your GV sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

That’s great. When I was a player and yes it was LONG ago everyone on the team helped contribute to any success we had as a team. Hell if he played in the playoffs and had stats he help contribute. Not bad for a 5’9” guy that weighed 165 pounds. I do like his coaching resume too. Coaching mentor has been Tony Annese over the last 10+ years and his 1st head coaching job was taking over an SVSU program under NCAA violations and had barely 40 players on the roster. Somehow went 5-6 in his 1st year then 7-4 and last year was 8-3 with wins over Bowie and Indianapolis. I just find it comical that GVSU speaks so badly over one of their former players and grads. Is it to much to wish the best for a former Laker? Postma is a Cardinal guy deep down but we wish him the best.
        I think he's obviously done a great job at SVSU.

When I first started this site, SVSU was a great team. It's good to see the program be a factor again.

Comment

Lol yup we have had some real beauties that is for sure and we take the craziest transfers too. At least I admit it and don’t cry about the admission policy that is basically equal at all GLIAC schools. To think GVSU loses to Ferris because of academics standards and the kids Ferris has access to is different than the kids GVSU does is a little insane since the schools offer scholarships to the same kids coming out of high school. It all comes back to the original subject this Scott Wooster hire, remember that. With such great academic standards can Scott Wooster take the next step? Kle you should be ashamed of yourself, you joker.
          Again, you seem to be unable to understand how the schools themselves have different academic standards for who they will consider for admittance, regardless of the NCAA eligibility minimums lol. I don't know how else to explain it to you. I've done it multiple times now. There are recruits that Ferris and SVSU can admit which GV can not because of the *school's* standards and limits on special talent exceptions. I don't know if you're just not understanding this, or if you just plain don't believe it. Do you realize that Harvard and North Dakota State are both subject to the same NCAA eligibility requirements, but Harvard still does not accept the same academic profiles that NDSU can? Or is this just.....not a concept you understand? I'm being specifically hyperbolic with this example. I am not comparing GV to Harvard lol I'm simply asking if you understand this concept.
          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

No just shocked comparing the 2 resumes that Brady is still a Cardinal as I thought GVSU was suppose to be the top DII school in the country and they hired a guy with no HC experience and has been at Wayne State for the majority of his coaching career. Not even a coordinator, just surprising for such a prestigious university like GVSU.
            Northwest Missouri hired three coaches in a row without head coaching experience. They won three national championships and never missed the playoffs in that span.

I think it's more about the man than the title.

Comment

Again, you seem to be unable to understand how the schools themselves have different academic standards for who they will consider for admittance, regardless of the NCAA eligibility minimums lol. I don't know how else to explain it to you. I've done it multiple times now. There are recruits that Ferris and SVSU can admit which GV can not because of the *school's* standards and limits on special talent exceptions. I don't know if you're just not understanding this, or if you just plain don't believe it. Do you realize that Harvard and North Dakota State are both subject to the same NCAA eligibility requirements, but Harvard still does not accept the same academic profiles that NDSU can? Or is this just.....not a concept you understand? I'm being specifically hyperbolic with this example. I am not comparing GV to Harvard lol I'm simply asking if you understand this concept.
              I just have a hard time believing you know anything about the inner doing at GVSU or any other school’s admissions policy or how many special people they let in. Maybe GVSU lets in 5 and Ferris lets in 15 who knows? Do you know how many of these special exceptions are on the GVSU team or how many the administrators allow with your insider informative?

Comment

I just think you might be giving too much credence to playing career over coaching career in this instance.
                I disagree with this notion. You're not alone with it, but I'm simply using your post as a means of replying.. I think players, Brady especially, ARE Grand Valley or any program. With exceptions, coaches are most likely transitory employees. No one can take away Brady's letters or contributions.

Comment

See at least one guy admits it. Just kidding I get your GV sarcasm.
                  It was a very difficult hump to get over for me, but ultimately I did it. I sat my gf down and had her watch the 49-17 beat down when the Lakers embarrassed the cardinals in Saginaw. It's an ugly game to watch

Comment

It's hard to tell whether this smooth brain understands the concept you are describing. But could you give some evidence of this concept?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I disagree with this notion. You're not alone with it, but I'm simply using your post as a means of replying.. I think players, Brady especially, ARE Grand Valley or any program. With exceptions, coaches are most likely transitory employees. No one can take away Brady's letters or contributions.
                      This is so true. Coaches are great but you can’t replace the blood, sweat, and tears you shed with your brothers over 4 to 5 years as a player. If you played college ball and graduated from that university you bleed that school forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

Here is a list of the academic elite in DII. MTU and Davenport seem pretty good and Hillsdale is at a completely different level. I do like the graduation rates at GVSU for their athletes.
                        https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/12/19...xcellence.aspx
                        Do you know how the NCAA attempts to measure this?

Colorado Mines, Missouri S&T, and South Dakota Mines are often among the lists of best colleges. They were missing from the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

I just have a hard time believing you know anything about the inner doing at GVSU or any other school’s admissions policy or how many special people they let in. Maybe GVSU lets in 5 and Ferris lets in 15 who knows? Do you know how many of these special exceptions are on the GVSU team or how many the administrators allow with your insider informative?
                          Nah. I'm a know-nothing plebe. I just cause chaos and mischief everywhere as the Minister of Disinformation.

Comment

• Originally posted by yote_7 View Post

It's hard to tell whether this smooth brain understands the concept you are describing. But could you give some evidence of this concept?
                            Evidence or just the GV way of thinking. You all seem to think the GV way of thinking is evidence of a tough academic policy for athletes. For god sakes you all think a 2.2 GPA 5 star athlete can play football for Harvard, right Kle?

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Nah. I'm a know-nothing plebe. I just cause chaos and mischief everywhere as the Minister of Disinformation.
                              See I knew it. Finally Kle I have been waiting all night for you to admit that.

Comment

• Originally posted by yote_7 View Post

I spent two years working for a (no longer existing) recruiting website. There's a ton of recruits every year who go through the process of waiting to hear back on whether they would be accepted by certain schools through the special talent admissions board. Some schools wouldn't accept them because there were higher-ranked players who got the limited spots instead, and some schools wouldn't accept them because their academic profile was just too low to be overlooked for their athletic profile and still maintain the school's overall academic profile. Other schools weighed athletic performance much higher than the school's academic profile. It's all a balancing act. Not saying any school is more correct than another. All the schools are different. Some schools won't take anyone who wouldn't get in to the school normally without athletics. Some schools will take any athletes who meet the NCAA minimum requirements. It's not my business to name names of recruits who went through that process. There's no reason to publicly shame anyone because of that.

Back in my college days, if I were a football recruit, I'd have been accepted at GV as normal with my middle 50% GPA and ACT score for my incoming freshman class that year. If I were a football recruit today at GV, I'd have to be subject to the special talent admissions board and hope my GPA and ACT were just okay enough, paired with my superior athletic talent (lol) to earn special admission, because I would definitely not be accepted by the regular admission standards GV uses these days.

There's no set standard that schools use. There's no formula like "well if our incoming freshmen have a 3.5 GPA and a 30 ACT, we'll only accept 3-star football recruits who have at least a 2.5 GPA and 25 ACT, but if they're 2-star football recruits they need to have a 2.7 GPA and a 27 ACT" or anything.

They're case-by-case hearings, generally attended by representatives from the admissions department, faculty, athletics, and coaches, to discuss what kind of special academic advisement will be given to the recruit to make sure they perform well, academically, if admitted. The number of times this happens varies from school to school. All depends how the higher-ups operate. If a school tells their football coaches they can only get 5 special admittance kids each year, then the coaches probably aren't gonna submit 30 kids for the process. They're gonna pick-and-choose to stay in the good graces of the people who sign their paychecks.
                                Last edited by KleShreen; 01-22-2023, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X