Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

Evidence or just the GV way of thinking. You all seem to think the GV way of thinking is evidence of a tough academic policy for athletes. For god sakes you all think a 2.2 GPA 5 star athlete can play football for Harvard, right Kle?
    A 5-star athlete is going to be admitted in any school in the country they want to go to as long as they meet the NCAA minimums. Now a 2-star athlete with a 2.2 GPA? They're not getting special admittance to Harvard. The 5-star athlete will. It's not worth it for the 2-star kid.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• For the record.. I'm not sorry that I brought up academics and GV. The banter has been amusing and maybe eye opening for some.

On this, Kle is spot on. Just like Notre Dame for example. The ND head coach can't just bring anyone that meets D1 academic rqmnts. The school says no. They have some higher requirements. You can't prove who ND didn't take since they know up front that they won't meet some minimum standard and won't offer them. Same goes at GV. Kelly and Martin didn't have to meet that. So more than a few of those stars that won the Natty then, wouldn't qualify to play in this era at GV. It changed with the administration. Believe it or not, that is a fact. MM would not be allowed to get those guys in. Xfers have different requirements, so no clue about them, but I suspect there is also a bar they have to meet there too. I know that the team has had Xfers that didn't make the academic cut. I wouldn't be surprised if Hillsdale had something like that too. No clue on other schools.

Don't believe it if you want, but there have been kids that GV wanted that admin wouldn't admit and they went to elsewhere. This topic has come up almost every season when the OG wanted MM gone. It's not the first time this has been raised as an issue. Again, it's not that OVERALL GV has such a high academic standard. It's pretty good, but that's not what is going on here. It's the lower level academic bar that is higher at GV than some other D2 schools. There are also some academic program options that GV doesn't offer that other schools use. It's not academic majors but I think it's something related to associate type degrees and grants. Ever wonder about how many players are on a roster with only 35 athletic scholarships? But let's not muddy the waters more.

Suffice to say, not all schools play by the same requirements.. some self imposed, others just the nature of how the university operates.

Comment

• Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

Here is a list of the academic elite in DII. MTU and Davenport seem pretty good and Hillsdale is at a completely different level. I do like the graduation rates at GVSU for their athletes.
        https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/12/19...xcellence.aspx
        Not a big deal but DU was allowed to use their associates degree programs as completed courses of study...which they were but still a bit off. Also this date is pre football and the 63 odd transfers that DY has brought in over the past two years..many were not transfers from the IVYs either...as for Hunter Rison, his grades were never an issue. Oddly enough the person he attacked did recant her story but that was after Kansas talked him into taking a plea deal...but no one cares about that. Where Hunter screwed up was listening to the folks that told him to come out instead of playing another year and getting good enough...that happens...Hey...what was this thread about before Kle and SVSU got it off track,,,forgot its been so long..O yea...Hillsdale DOES make a few exceptions for football...if you need a name or two DM me. These brothers were not 1.4GPAs or anything but they were more like 2.8s...from a VERY conservative family in Ottawa County in Michigan...ok...carry on with the name calling and fact challenges...btw..Scott Wooster is a home run hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Nah. I'm a know-nothing plebe. I just cause chaos and mischief everywhere as the Minister of Disinformation.
          Probably the most accurate statement you've made on the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

Probably the most accurate statement you've made on the board.
            Yup. I'm just like everyone else here.

Comment

• Wooster press conference on Tuesday: https://gvsulakers.com/news/2023/1/2...use-arena.aspx

Here's the live video link for 11 AM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea4k...leyStateLakers
              Last edited by KleShreen; 01-23-2023, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• I feel like GVSU has tighten up the academic standards the past few years. I came in with/played with a ton of guys who were as close to being deemed ineligible by the NCAA as you can get. I do know this, GV definitely has a budget for special athletes, its just smaller then the mouth breathers up north.

Comment

• Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post
                  I feel like GVSU has tighten up the academic standards the past few years. I came in with/played with a ton of guys who were as close to being deemed ineligible by the NCAA as you can get. I do know this, GV definitely has a budget for special athletes, its just smaller then the mouth breathers up north.
                  Why aren't you complaining about the hire? I thought that everything Becker does is wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post
                    I feel like GVSU has tighten up the academic standards the past few years. I came in with/played with a ton of guys who were as close to being deemed ineligible by the NCAA as you can get. I do know this, GV definitely has a budget for special athletes, its just smaller then the mouth breathers up north.
                    Lol. This thread is hilarious. Now you guys want to admit to your lower standards for athletes academically and your transfer domestic abusers. I've sat here for a few years reading all of the self righteousness about GV and how they're nothing like Ferris. Let's see how many remember this thread next season when the "holier than thou" brigade starts their traditional rants.

Comment

Lol. This thread is hilarious. Now you guys want to admit to your lower standards for athletes academically and your transfer domestic abusers. I've sat here for a few years reading all of the self righteousness about GV and how they're nothing like Ferris. Let's see how many remember this thread next season when the "holier than thou" brigade starts their traditional rants.
                      You seem to really struggle with context and understanding different levels of academic requirements.

Comment

• I have lost most of my contacts on the GV Football Alumni Board, but it would be interesting to find out who from outside the program interviewed for the HC position. I would have been nice to have had someone with experience at the FCS level from one of the Dakota schools that has had experience coaching and moving their programs to a higher level. Leads me to think GV is not going to move up or could not come up with the salary requirements to get that type of person.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish1916 View Post
                          I have lost most of my contacts on the GV Football Alumni Board, but it would be interesting to find out who from outside the program interviewed for the HC position. I would have been nice to have had someone with experience at the FCS level from one of the Dakota schools that has had experience coaching and moving their programs to a higher level. Leads me to think GV is not going to move up or could not come up with the salary requirements to get that type of person.
                          I'm aware of one SR1 coach that applied and was a strong candidate, but it's probably not my place to name who it is since they remain at their current school.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

You seem to really struggle with context and understanding different levels of academic requirements.
                            You seem to really struggle with hypocrisy.

Comment

You seem to really struggle with hypocrisy.
                              Mmmmm nope. I'm pretty much an expert on it.

Comment

• I went back and edited my previous post, but thought I'd put this in a new one, too. It looks like there will indeed be a live stream of the Tuesday 11 AM press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea4k...leyStateLakers

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X