X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrone Wheatley Named Wayne State Head Coach

Tony Paul broke the news this morning.

Well things just got interesting there.

My snap judgement is he feels like a home run hire, but I also have to assume he's going to be looking to move up quickly. The guy just finished the 2022 season as an NFL RB coach and has worked in the NFL for five seasons, FBS for six seasons. I assume he's looking to get in to the FBS head coaching game?
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Here's the full release: https://wsuathletics.com/news/2023/1...all-coach.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
        Well things just got interesting there.

My snap judgement is he feels like a home run hire, but I also have to assume he's going to be looking to move up quickly. The guy just finished the 2022 season as an NFL RB coach and has worked in the NFL for five seasons, FBS for six seasons. I assume he's looking to get in to the FBS head coaching game?
        I would not say this is a home run hire. Seems like a great guy, but this looks like a blooper over the short stops head for a single. He went 2-9 and 3-9 in his one head coaching gig. He has local ties but recruits in this generation wont know who he is. I hope it works out, interesting hire.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

I would not say this is a home run hire. Seems like a great guy, but this looks like a blooper over the short stops head for a single. He went 2-9 and 3-9 in his one head coaching gig. He has local ties but recruits in this generation wont know who he is. I hope it works out, interesting hire.
          His head coaching gig was at a school that has historically always been pretty bad. I think you're underestimating the cache his name brings to the state of Michigan. He's one of the most beloved high school and college players in the state's football history. There were people who wanted him hired to the Michigan job before Harbaugh was hired, who then brought Wheatley on as RB coach. Actual success aside, he's going to draw a ton of talented players just on name alone. He's going to have the Deion Sanders effect, IMO.

Comment

His head coaching gig was at a school that has historically always been pretty bad. I think you're underestimating the cache his name brings to the state of Michigan. He's one of the most beloved high school and college players in the state's football history. There were people who wanted him hired to the Michigan job before Harbaugh was hired, who then brought Wheatley on as RB coach. Actual success aside, he's going to draw a ton of talented players just on name alone. He's going to have the Deion Sanders effect, IMO.
            Interesting hire. His name says "sparkle" but from what I read about his record, I'm in the show me mode. And since he was at a poorer performing school(s?), where does Wayne rank? Top of the GLIAC is tough. He'll have challenges. Seems like a great fit though.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Interesting hire. His name says "sparkle" but from what I read about his record, I'm in the show me mode. And since he was at a poorer performing school(s?), where does Wayne rank? Top of the GLIAC is tough. He'll have challenges.
              Yea, there's no proof he can turn a team around. But I just think he'll be able to pull some good talent on name alone. Just has to prove he can train it up and get performances out of it, which, so far, he has never really done. Just saying it's better to start with some name recognition and no proof of HC success than to start with no name recognition and no proof of HC success, haha.

Comment

Fair enough, I think its worth giving him a shot. The staff he forms will say a lot. If he can get those fringe DI players to take a look at Wayne State he could have success but I wouldn't say his name will carry the same way Deion's has. He needs to change the culture around staying in Detroit. The campus and Midtown are great but fringe D1 players who could help Wayne see leaving as a badge of success. Change the narrative, rebrand, #ballinthecity. something along those lines. Interesting hire for sure.

Comment

Yea, there's no proof he can turn a team around. But I just think he'll be able to pull some good talent on name alone. Just has to prove he can train it up and get performances out of it, which, so far, he has never really done. Just saying it's better to start with some name recognition and no proof of HC success than to start with no name recognition and no proof of HC success, haha.
                  Track records should matter. It should be interesting who comes out on top... Wooster or Wheatley? Wooster currently has more in-house talent. Wheatley, bigger name recognition. I have my bias.

Comment

I think the hire works well for the position WSU is at right now. As ThorntonMelon is always fond of pointing out, we've got an interim AD and an ongoing presidential search. If this hire works, the AD would likely get the interim tag removed and stick around or move on to a higher level school. Coach can make the choice to either stay or move up too. If it doesn't work, the AD probably gets replaced, and Coach would probably go back to being an assistant somewhere else.

Off the field, name recognition with boosters should be big and I'm willing to bet that was at least a small factor in the hiring process. On the field, I agree with UMary that I want to see the staff he assembles. But in this moment, I'm still just glad it's anybody but Paul.

Comment

Track records should matter. It should be interesting who comes out on top... Wooster or Wheatley? Wooster currently has more in-house talent. Wheatley, bigger name recognition. I have my bias.
                      Yea, definitely. I think Wayne is being smart in taking a shot here, though, and going outside the box. Gotta do something to get some momentum and excitement around that program after Winters slowly drained it of everything lol.

Comment

Interesting hire. His name says "sparkle" but from what I read about his record, I'm in the show me mode. And since he was at a poorer performing school(s?), where does Wayne rank? Top of the GLIAC is tough. He'll have challenges. Seems like a great fit though.
                        What's Wooster's record as HC? Wheatly is bringing HC experience not to mention D1 and NFL.

It won't be an overall flip in one season. However, the Warriors should be able to win the close ones (@ DU this past year). It's going to take time to build relationships and install a new scheme. It will be great to see the staff Wheatly puts together. Hopefully pulling from his connections in the football world.

It's an exciting time in the Motor City, Wheatly has a terrific opportunity to turn around a program that truly could top the "big dawgs" ;) in the league. The talent and financial pool haven't been fully tapped by the program in quite some time. This turnaround isn't a one man band... It will require support from all facets (President, Athletic Department, Alumni, Boosters, surrounding business).

Overall a great move and both WSU and GVSU should buy into their new skippers.

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
                          I think the hire works well for the position WSU is at right now. As ThorntonMelon is always fond of pointing out, we've got an interim AD and an ongoing presidential search. If this hire works, the AD would likely get the interim tag removed and stick around or move on to a higher level school. Coach can make the choice to either stay or move up too. If it doesn't work, the AD probably gets replaced, and Coach would probably go back to being an assistant somewhere else.

Off the field, name recognition with boosters should be big and I'm willing to bet that was at least a small factor in the hiring process. On the field, I agree with UMary that I want to see the staff he assembles. But in this moment, I'm still just glad it's anybody but Paul.
                          Agree with that 100%. Maybe help bring some alumni and boosters who were on the fringes back into the fold. From a recruiting stand point most of these kids probably have limited knowledge of him but I'm sure the name resonates with their coaches and some parents. I would think his NFL and D1 playing/coaching experience should at the very least help pull in some D1 type RB recruits from the Detroit area. Once he starts working some camps locally, they could see a big uptick in talent overall.

That said, I'm giving it 2 years before he's out the door. Looking at his coaching history since he started at Robichaud in 2007, the longest he's been at a stop is 2 years before he moved on to the next gig (Syracuse RB Coach 2010-2012 & Morgan State HC 2019-2021). Hope that's not the case. I'd love to see what the GLIAC would look like with a strong Ferris, GV, SVSU and Wayne St fighting for a title.

Comment

From the outside looking in, it looks like a really good hire on paper from name alone. As it has been mentioned, many of the kids may not know who he is currently but their parents and coaches probably will know who he is (some being fans of his already).

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

Agree with that 100%. Maybe help bring some alumni and boosters who were on the fringes back into the fold. From a recruiting stand point most of these kids probably have limited knowledge of him but I'm sure the name resonates with their coaches and some parents. I would think his NFL and D1 playing/coaching experience should at the very least help pull in some D1 type RB recruits from the Detroit area. Once he starts working some camps locally, they could see a big uptick in talent overall.

That said, I'm giving it 2 years before he's out the door. Looking at his coaching history since he started at Robichaud in 2007, the longest he's been at a stop is 2 years before he moved on to the next gig (Syracuse RB Coach 2010-2012 & Morgan State HC 2019-2021). Hope that's not the case. I'd love to see what the GLIAC would look like with a strong Ferris, GV, SVSU and Wayne St fighting for a title.
                              The GLIAC will be gone in a few years I think unless something happens..

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X