Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

The GLIAC will be gone in a few years I think unless something happens..
    The way it's going, I wouldn't doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

The GLIAC will be gone in a few years I think unless something happens..
      Don't they only have 6 teams or something like that?

Comment

7 football teams now. 8 by 2024 if Roosevelt U is accepted into D2 this July.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

I would not say this is a home run hire. Seems like a great guy, but this looks like a blooper over the short stops head for a single. He went 2-9 and 3-9 in his one head coaching gig. He has local ties but recruits in this generation wont know who he is. I hope it works out, interesting hire.
          Bloop single? What more do you think you are going attract?

He has NFL experience as an assistant, Power 5 experience as an assistant, NFL and Power 5 player, FCS head coach at a doormat program for a couple of years where he faired slightly better than the recent teams, and some success as a high school coach.

That's a heckuva background and more impressive than anyone I have seen hired around D2 this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post

He has NFL experience as an assistant, Power 5 experience as an assistant, NFL and Power 5 player, FCS head coach at a doormat program for a couple of years where he faired slightly better than the recent teams, and some success as a high school coach.

That's a heckuva background and more impressive than anyone I have seen hired around D2 this winter.
            Like I said I hope it works out for him. I do not think NFL playing experience goes that far in D2. But to your question, Josh Lyn who West Texas A and M hired is a pretty impressive hire. If Wayne got Mines coach that would be an impressive hire. (Home run). The Deion Sanders type affect wont happen at Wayne State, maybe Ill raise it to a double. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Like I said I hope it works out for him. I do not think NFL playing experience goes that far in D2. But to your question, Josh Lyn who West Texas A and M hired is a pretty impressive hire. If Wayne got Mines coach that would be an impressive hire. (Home run). The Deion Sanders type affect wont happen at Wayne State, maybe Ill raise it to a double. Just my opinion.
              You don't have to be an NFL or college football player to be a great coach. Mike Leach and Lincoln Riley demonstrate that, but what is invaluable is the time spent in different organizations and how they are run differently at the highest levels.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post

LOL. If you think this the best case scenario of a hire for Wayne state then your sadly misinformed.
                The highest paid D2 head coaching job in the nations best choice is a guy who’s only head coaching experience was nothing short of a disaster at Morgan State… than I guess Wayne State really has fallen on hard times😮‍💨

Comment

Yeah he's one of those wait and see hires. No positive hc experience, no d2 recruiting experience, but great x and o experience. It will be fun to see how he does.

Comment

Originally posted by WashedupGLIACstud View Post

LOL. If you think this the best case scenario of a hire for Wayne state then your sadly misinformed.
                    The highest paid D2 head coaching job in the nations best choice is a guy who’s only head coaching experience was nothing short of a disaster at Morgan State… than I guess Wayne State really has fallen on hard times😮‍💨
                    Ok "Stud"...what's your hot board? Who should Wayne have targeted then? Give us some names. Everybody likes to say a hire sucks yet they offer no other alternatives.

Everybody's performance at Morgan State is pretty disastrous. They hired Stump Mitchell away from my high school and he went 1-10 in his last season and didn't even get fired. He left for the Seahawks on his own.

I never said it was best case scenario. Obviously, you can name all kinds of things you wish he had. What he does have has to be appreciated though. We'll see how it pans out.

You can call me a lot of things, but "sadly misinformed" ain't one.

Comment

On top of that, the only reasons Winters was the highest paid coach were because our old AD didn't want to fire his buddy and he thought Akron was on the phone every offseason.

Comment

Coach Wheatley has brought in Russell DeMasi to be the OC and Tom Sims to be DC. I have no clue who these guys are, but looks like they both were at Savannah State in 2019 and 2021. Brought SSU their first winning seasons in years.

Also the Athletics staff page shows Coach Robinson as the Special Teams Coordinator now.

Comment

Coach Wheatley REALLY likes ex-Savannah State assistants. Glenn Davis has been hired to coach linebackers and Rosco Byrd, Jr. has been brought in to coach the O-Line.

Looks like the Defense has its coaches set (Antwon will coach DBs and Sims will coach the D-Line). Remains to be seen who will coach skill positions on Offense.

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
                            Coach Wheatley REALLY likes ex-Savannah State assistants. Glenn Davis has been hired to coach linebackers and Rosco Byrd, Jr. has been brought in to coach the O-Line.

Looks like the Defense has its coaches set (Antwon will coach DBs and Sims will coach the D-Line). Remains to be seen who will coach skill positions on Offense.
                            What is your opinion on the hires so far? I would just be a tad skeptical since Savannah State hasn't really been very successful since phasing out their D1 players.
                            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

It's such a bland answer, but I have no idea what to think. Coach is creating much more of a blank slate than I ever could have imagined. Sims is another local guy, which may help in some coaching circles, on top of his experience coaching in D1 and the NFL. Davis had a year at Northern in 2016, which is neat. I'm simultaneously intrigued and terrified with DeMasi. He was an option QB at Georgia Southern. He coached QB's at SSU in a more normal system. Then when he was elevated to OC, he installed a Triple Option offense. I found a couple games online. When it works it's awesome. When it's not, I get flashbacks to begging Paul to try passing the ball for once. If it gets us wins, I'm for it. But I'm also scared that the offense will just pound the rock in futility if it stops being effective.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X