Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year's UIndy at MoS&T

I'm doing my due diligence on the league, and figured I'd go back and watch the top 2 teams in the conference square off last year. I watched most of the game, up until the video feed went out after the 4th or 5th lightning delay (did they just quit and go home?lol!)

I immediately jumped on the board afterwards to see if there was anything said last year about the game, because it was crazy the way it turned out! But, alas... nothing.

So I'd like to hear from some fans that were there or watched it live.

The Miners seemed very much in control of the game with their defense doing enough to contain the UIndy running attack, and getting enough big plays from Swart, Graham, and their special teams. Of course UIndy's M.O. seems to be to wear down the opponent, but I can't help but think that over 3 hours total in weather delays might not have helped their cause.

Now, S&T had their chances and shot them self in the foot with penalties and an untimely turnover. They also seemed to have lost their stud QB for the last portion of the game. But, I can't help but think that S&T fans left that game, and probably the season saying "What if"?

What if we were able to ride our momentum of our first half play throughout the game and not have to sit around for 3 hours doing nothing?
    What if we had played cleaner?
    What if Swart had stayed healthy?

After watching that game, and given MO S&T's performance against MSU Moorehead later in the year, I think the Miner's were right there with Indy last year and may have held their own in the playoffs like Indy did. UIndy separated themselves in that game by being more consistent and disciplined. Conditioning may have played a role as well, as they were ripping 10-15 yard runs at the end of the game all over the place. But I don't think the Miners are far off.

They have a new coach and have to replace a very productive QB. Drury has been with the program for many years, and I would suspect it's Simms stepping in for Swart at QB. He has adequate experience and enough talent to get the job done.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Miners build on the success they had last year despite the changes and loss in the program.

Cool Story Bro

Comment

I just wonder if they would have ever been in a position to NEED their QB to win it for them if it weren't for all those delays. Although, all I could see was the box score for when UIndy started ripping off those huge runs (19 yards for a TD on 4th and 1 is a HEART BREAKER!). So I couldn't tell if it was a schematic adjustment, or if S&T was just dead.

That being said.... they did need him, and they didn't have him. When it rains it pours, especially that night!
      Cool Story Bro

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X