• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Capsules part 4: MO S&T and Indianapolis

Here's my final capsules! :)

Week 1 preview will go up tomorrow!

https://www.d2football.com/team-caps...dy-2019-09-03/

Cool Story Bro

The thing I don't like about Missouri S&T is their schedule. They should win every home game, but they have to face Indianapolis, Lindenwood and Truman all on the road. At best, to me, with the QB situation they have, that's 1-2. And potentially (likely) 0-3 because those three teams will all have really good defenses to throw at them. I'm sure the coaches didn't take that into account when they picked them fourth, but it's why I put them fourth in that other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
      The thing I don't like about Missouri S&T is their schedule. They should win every home game, but they have to face Indianapolis, Lindenwood and Truman all on the road. At best, to me, with the QB situation they have, that's 1-2. And potentially (likely) 0-3 because those three teams will all have really good defenses to throw at them. I'm sure the coaches didn't take that into account when they picked them fourth, but it's why I put them fourth in that other thread.
      That could've been part of it. Plus a new coach and the graduation of the best QB in program history.

When I'm looking at their roster, I really don't see any other holes, especially defensively with Wharton returning. Now, I could definitely be over valuing pass rush as the GLVC is such a run heavy league and I'm used to the passing attacks of the MIAA.

This is all just "on paper" talk until we see them take the field this week. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm way off on all of these!
      Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
        I was also thinking about this... the Lindenwood defense is still an unknown. Last year, they were near the bottom the conference giving up 30 points per game. They head into 2019 losing their best player from 2018 to graduation. Now, I personally believe the Lions will have better defensive line play this year with the talent they've brought it, however I have nothing to back that up right now. It's pure speculation. Going off of what they did last year, Lindenwood will be good at Linebacker and very good in the secondary. The defensive line is too much of a question mark to definitively say they'll be better than last year.

If I'm wearing my fan hat, I'll say that I'm confident the defense should be a lot better than last year.

If I'm wearing my columnist hat, I have to say the jury is out until we see how the LU front 4 will perform.

Cool Story Bro

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
            Missouri S&T Defense
            Mo S&T is stout on the DL (grade A, would be A+ but a noticeable drop off from 1st to 2nd teamers)
            Average at LB(not much depth behind starters, grade B-)
            Disagree about the linebackers. Straatman, Hayes, and White (as you mentioned) are the most productive group coming back in the conference. You've probably seen them play more than me, but statistically speaking, the Miners are very solid a LB.
            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

Disagree about the linebackers. Straatman, Hayes, and White (as you mentioned) are the most productive group coming back in the conference. You've probably seen them play more than me, but statistically speaking, the Miners are very solid a LB.

Comment

It will be a good test for their discipline for sure. Can't play hero ball against that wing-t!
                Cool Story Bro

Comment

Actually ENMU runs the dbl slot Triple option (the Air Force look)not the wing T but both those offenses require massive amounts of discipline and assignment football. Last year S&T overwhelmed the Greyhounds from the first snap on defense. They jumped out early to a 21 point 1st half lead. I expect this years game to be totally different and it will be a nail biter either way.

Comment

Originally posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
                    Actually ENMU runs the dbl slot Triple option (the Air Force look)not the wing T but both those offenses require massive amounts of discipline and assignment football. Last year S&T overwhelmed the Greyhounds from the first snap on defense. They jumped out early to a 21 point 1st half lead. I expect this years game to be totally different and it will be a nail biter either way.
                    Gotcha.... looked like wing-t to me, but I only watched about 3 plays.

I agree... it's going to go back and forth for awhile. I think S&T pulls away at the end.
                    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X