Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMAC/GLVC Scheduling Alliance

https://greatmidwestsports.com/news/...-alliance.aspx

Hmmm... Looks like LU gets Findlay a couple years in a row.

I'm pretty sure that LU has some of their non conference opponents already planned out. I wonder if this was taken into consideration (assuming it's been in the works for a while and the coaches knew something about it.)
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
      Hmmm... Looks like LU gets Findlay a couple years in a row.

I'm pretty sure that LU has some of their non conference opponents already planned out. I wonder if this was taken into consideration (assuming it's been in the works for a while and the coaches knew something about it.)
      I imagine they made some considerations for existing scheduling agreements. Additionally, these two could very well be playing the GMAC/GLVC bowl game in Hobart at the end of the season so it should be a pretty good matchup.

Comment

Really think this is a good move for both conferences. Similar competition levels with most schools, and the existing bowl game agreement is going to be great for the conferences. Also may get reworked when Uindy moves over to the GMAC, I have to think it will happen eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post
          Really think this is a good move for both conferences. Similar competition levels with most schools, and the existing bowl game agreement is going to be great for the conferences. Also may get reworked when Uindy moves over to the GMAC, I have to think it will happen eventually.
          Why would they leave the GLVC?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Why would they leave the GLVC?
            Travel, for football and for all the other sports I have to think is the top reason to leave. All those Ohio schools in the GMAC would drop travel costs quite a bit. Especially if the current AD retires soonish, the new hire at AD may push to move them over. Uindy also has strong connections to the GMAC anyway with a former Greyhound student-athlete as the GMAC commissioner and the GMAC offices being in downtown Indianapolis. The ideal GMAC scenario would add Uindy, Ashland, NDC, and Urbana with dropping the WV schools and KWC/TNU off. (Super ideal would add Marian and Saint Francis Fort Wayne out of the NAIA as well)

Basically, they are a top program in most sports in the GLVC and I think the whole of the GMAC/GLVC are pretty much the same. Therefore, Uindy can save the money on travel expenses and not sacrifice anything in competition wise really.

Comment

How would Indianapolis save on travel? What are the distances? Inkblot could help us here.

Comment

How would Indianapolis save on travel? What are the distances? Inkblot could help us here.
                A quick check:
                Average GLVC opponent distance from Indianapolis - 310.2 miles
                Average GMAC opponent distance from Indianapolis - 263.7 miles

So, yes, it would be shorter travel, but that's a pretty minimal amount when the far west GLVC schools are typically a once every other year trip (Rockhurst/Jewell, Drury/SBU). Truman went through something similar when choosing to leave the MIAA. The travel distances to GLVC schools were shorter, but not a crazy amount. But one difference was that they were picking up a ton of larger metro areas where alumni were located: St. Louis, Kansas City, Louisville, Chicago. Not a lot of Truman alums in Kearney, OKC, Hays, and Emporia. Point being, I'd guess there are a lot more Indy alums in St. Louis, Louisville, Chicago than there are in Phillipi, Pepper Pike or Vienna.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

A quick check:
                  Average GLVC opponent distance from Indianapolis - 310.2 miles
                  Average GMAC opponent distance from Indianapolis - 263.7 miles

So, yes, it would be shorter travel, but that's a pretty minimal amount when the far west GLVC schools are typically a once every other year trip (Rockhurst/Jewell, Drury/SBU). Truman went through something similar when choosing to leave the MIAA. The travel distances to GLVC schools were shorter, but not a crazy amount. But one difference was that they were picking up a ton of larger metro areas where alumni were located: St. Louis, Kansas City, Louisville, Chicago. Not a lot of Truman alums in Kearney, OKC, Hays, and Emporia. Point being, I'd guess there are a lot more Indy alums in St. Louis, Louisville, Chicago than there are in Phillipi, Pepper Pike or Vienna.
                  Well there are likely most Central alums in KC and STL than in Warrensburg. Same goes with Northwest, etc. That's how it's going to be when describing the relationship between colleges in small towns like Kirksville and metro areas like KC and STL. Rockhurst and William Jewell simply don't have a real presence in the KC metro. I can't speak to the presence in STL for those schools.

Comment

Yes, Uindy would save on the travel with the GMAC. Additionally, if the GMAC is able to centralize more with more OH/IN schools that travel is only gonna improve. The WV and Southern schools seem prime to leave the GMAC as well for much of the same reasons as Uindy would want to join it.
                    Last edited by purduefan11; 11-11-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

If U Indy eventually goes GMAC, a good thing for them is that they have been recruiting STL area the last ten years (with all the MO and IL games on their GLVC schedule) so they can continue to recruit STL now that they have developed some ties in the area even if they go GMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                        If U Indy eventually goes GMAC, a good thing for them is that they have been recruiting STL area the last ten years (with all the MO and IL games on their GLVC schedule) so they can continue to recruit STL now that they have developed some ties in the area even if they go GMAC.
                        Fair point, that and with non-conference scheduling it would be fairly easy for them to schedule one or two GLVC opponents every year to maintain some connections in those areas. This year for example, they would have probably scheduled Truman and Mckendree as opposed to Lake Erie and Hillsdale.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                          Typically they would lose those recruits even with the connections they've built since they won't play in the area anymore.

Comment

Typically they would lose those recruits even with the connections they've built since they won't play in the area anymore.
                            Probably true, the recruiting those areas would hurt somewhat, but admittedly outside a certain transfer starting QB most of the Uindy roster is still Indiana kids. Recruiting is not going to be a huge factor to consider I think.

Comment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post

Probably true, the recruiting those areas would hurt somewhat, but admittedly outside a certain transfer starting QB most of the Uindy roster is still Indiana kids. Recruiting is not going to be a huge factor to consider I think.
                              A LOT of contributers on the U Indy team from Chicagoland. This year most of the O from Indiana but also Chicago, Idaho, Texas, Kentucky - four big contributers from Chicagoland on the offense. Next year at least half the half the D will be from out of state. If Gillin is still the guy recruiting STL he'll keep some good connections even with a conference shift.
                              Last edited by michiganfb; 11-15-2019, 09:39 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X