Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post

TJ Singh on the two deeps for Ashland game - thank God. But Ball on the injury list since 2016? Hadley listed at two positions. Looks like six (of the ten OL two deeps) have little to no game experience yet. True Frosh Kednal Alexis listed twice too. For sure not much depth on the U Indy OL.
    Interesting. Didn't realize that about Ball. Those are little details that are tough to catch when studying rosters and game notes. Thanks for sharing. Looks like Uindy's OL might be a bit of an issue as the year wears on. I would think right now is the healthiest they'll be all year as is usually the case for all teams.
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

Interesting. Didn't realize that about Ball. Those are little details that are tough to catch when studying rosters and game notes. Thanks for sharing. Looks like Uindy's OL might be a bit of an issue as the year wears on. I would think right now is the healthiest they'll be all year as is usually the case for all teams.
      Right. Beginning of year better for schools without much depth (like most privates). D2 reminds of Class C prep ball in Michigan - if you have depth you have a good team and if you don't you might hide that for awhile the first half of the season. Coaches also lament about using inexperienced players at the beginning of the year. U Indy using a lot of young guys this year. It's their speedy skill guys that should make for an interesting match up.

Six out of seven "experts" picking Ashland tonight: https://www.d2football.com/d2pickem-week-one/

Ashland article: https://www.richlandsource.com/sport...49702f926.html

Comment

So far everyone on the GLIAC boards picking Ashland. here's one:

Indianapolis @ Ashland - Will be the best matchup of good teams in week one. Both teams bring back a good amount from last year. Indy has a fantastic ground game so the key for Ashland is to slow the running attack down enough to force Indy to beat them through the air. I think it will be Indy at half but the now Coach Bart-less Indy D cant hold Brenner and the Ash O back enough in the 2nd. Ashland by 10

Comment

So far everyone on the GLIAC boards picking Ashland. here's one:

I wonder if these folks picking know about the TJ Edwards factor? That kid is good.
          Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

I wonder if these folks picking know about the TJ Edwards factor? That kid is good.
            As I was saying.... lol

Happy for the kid. But this makes for a really dangerous greyhound offense.

Bad news for rest of conference.
            Cool Story Bro

Comment

So I just watched the game in it's entirety. I had to listen to most of it last night while working a softball tournament (softball girls are LOUD).

I'll give most of by breakdown and observations in the recap I'll do in my week 2 preview, but wanted to offer some thoughts to spark discussion.

1. I was REALLY impressed with UIndy defense. Their ability to consistently pressure Brennan had him running for his life and consistently spiking the ball into the ground in front of his receivers. Their run defense was the very definition of dominant.... now, devil's advocate. Was that partly due to an Ashland offense that looks to be straight out of 1995? Don't get me wrong, I love rumbling, bumbling, full back runs ala Mike Alstott. But it seemed pretty vanilla. Lots of iso's, sprint options, waggles, bootlegs, etc. Nothing against UIndy, they did exactly what they were supposed to do and it was impressive. I'm interested to see if they can continue to dominate like that against more created play calling and more dynamic players.

2. TJ Edwards may help the Greyhounds become one of the most potent offenses... in the country. Ashland's defense last year, which for the most part is in tact this year, only allowed 240 yards and 16 points per game. Indy bested that about over 60%. And their QB hasn't played in over a year. There are some really bad defenses in the GLVC and UIndy might break the scoreboard against them, lol.

This is all predicated on health of course. As others have said, OL depth is a question. If a team can't answer questions at OL well, then it usually doesn't end well.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the league in action on Saturday! Pulling for a GLVC sweep!
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

A few things about the game last night.
                1. Really like what you guys did on offense last night. The guys on the edge block so well, really helps open the running game on the outside and makes the defense defend the whole field. If you continue to do that your offense will be very good.

2. As far as the defense for Indy goes, I think you should wait and see. They had a really nice game plan vs Ashland, but honestly this offense is going to be one of the worst that Ashland has had in a long time. We are starting a full back at running back, backed by a 5'8 150lb freshman. Brenner was the Freshman of the year in the GLIAC last year based on the fact he played games as a true freshman. He might be the worst QB in the last 30 years of AU football. Lee Ownes spent all off-season hyping this kid up and he just doesn't have the talent to win games at this level. So mixed with the fact we lost our starting center (no one has said why) and we have zero play makers, its going to be a long year for Ashland offense. Also to top if off, the AU staff was unable to sign a QB this past year, so there are literally no other quarter backs on the team. They have a walk on freshman and a Senior that played JV last year backing up the worst QB in the GLIAC. Thankfully Coach Owens says he knows what they need to fix moving forward.

Good luck to Indy the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by unc4life View Post
                  1. Really like what you guys did on offense last night. The guys on the edge block so well, really helps open the running game on the outside and makes the defense defend the whole field. If you continue to do that your offense will be very good.

2. As far as the defense for Indy goes, I think you should wait and see. They had a really nice game plan vs Ashland, but honestly this offense is going to be one of the worst that Ashland has had in a long time. We are starting a full back at running back, backed by a 5'8 150lb freshman. Brenner was the Freshman of the year in the GLIAC last year based on the fact he played games as a true freshman. He might be the worst QB in the last 30 years of AU football. Lee Ownes spent all off-season hyping this kid up and he just doesn't have the talent to win games at this level. So mixed with the fact we lost our starting center (no one has said why) and we have zero play makers, its going to be a long year for Ashland offense. Also to top if off, the AU staff was unable to sign a QB this past year, so there are literally no other quarter backs on the team. They have a walk on freshman and a Senior that played JV last year backing up the worst QB in the GLIAC. Thankfully Coach Owens says he knows what they need to fix moving forward.

I was curious about this so I looked at your roster. While technically you DO have other quarterbacks, I can see it's pretty thin. Looks like Jacob Heath would be your next best option.BTW... what does being a member of the junior varsity team in D2 look like?

https://goashlandeagles.com/sports/f...ath_jacob_1lu3
                  Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by unc4life View Post

My take: Agreed. Less Hback package this game and the wideouts still blocked well on the corners - they have for three years now. AU held McKeller and TC to less than 100 yards. I was really impressed with the Ashland MLB and NT transfer from IU although both got gassed as the game went on. U Indy needs guys like that to plug up the middle. Also really impressed with Parsons on the inside. After playing a couple years on the corner he knows how to cover passes. U Indy CBs getting beat long like always though. Thought Topper's catch in the corner was the turning point. Not many teams gonna stop McKeller inside the one. TJ at QB looked better and better as the game went. Would have loved to see what he can do running but as needed. AU and Hillsdale seem to be down a little this year?

Comment

The UINDY defense was strong the entire game. all three LB's Lambright,Parsons, and Bane played well against the run and pass. The defensive line played well and Steeb at safety is always on the ball. No worries with this D!

Comment

This may be UINDY's best team ever! Offense can run or pass and the defense is tough as nails!

Comment

Originally posted by D2 FB View Post
                          This may be UINDY's best team ever! Offense can run or pass and the defense is tough as nails!
                          Can I say I told you so? TJ Edwards brings a whole other dynamic.
                          Cool Story Bro

Comment

Love a mobile QB. Reminds of U Indy ten years ago with Lance Lasker and farther back with their pass on the run QB (Kohn?) that had the NCAA total yards/game record in GLIAC days. Announcers said a QB at U Indy was something new. Didn't the last two Purichia and Barthel have GLVC records and get POY awards?? But loved how TJ has thrown to the TE and HBack some. Purichia and Barthel didn't do that much with Coach Gillin. Thought TJ was locking in on Mo Robinson some this year though. Down the progression are some nice looking receivers - Daveon Bell is the guy Keevers said is their threat, Mateo is the guy that can hide and get wide open, Topper looks the most physical and best hands, Robinson is the QBs fav target, two or three youngsters in the mix already. Also their third option at RB Tyre Lee had a big game and led in yardage. Defensively, liked how they're playing a lot of different DBs until someone steps up or gets healthier. Hope they stay aggressive on D.

Comment

U Indy schedule gets better the last half of the season. Gonna find out how strong they are after Mizzou SandT, Lindenwood, Truman. Can they put up 50 and hold opponents under a couple scores versus better competition??

Comment

U Indy schedule gets better the last half of the season. Gonna find out how strong they are after Mizzou SandT, Lindenwood, Truman. Can they put up 50 and hold opponents under a couple scores versus better competition??
                                I don't look at their last 4 games against the bottom half of the conference as much as I look at the Ashland and HIllsdale games; both teams currently with winning records. Considering they were still trying to figure out how TJ Edwards was going to fit into the offense, it makes those victories even more impressive. I think MST, TSU, and LU would've been better served facing off against UIndy at the begining of the season.

Of course I think they'll be challenged more in the second half, but I think this might be UIndy's best team yet.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X