Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

With Bellarmine going D1, I think there is going to some more rumors of schools to move into the conference over the next year. With the possibility of Unidy and Lewis leaving as well, multiple teams could move in. Here is what could be a shortlist:

1. Oakland City - currently D2 independent, geographical fit, travel partner with USI, but very behind competitive wise in most sports
    2. Lincoln - currently MIAA, was affliate member, but would be very hard to pry them away from MIAA as they have waited for many years for a full invite as I understand it.
    3. Kentucky Wesleyan - current GMAC, former member, geogrpahic fit, travel partner with USI, but small step down competitive wise in football and some potential old bad blood with them leaving the conference orginally
    4. Trevecca Nazarene - currently GMAC, and similar fit as KWC but geographic stretch
    5. Various NAIA and D3 move options such as: Depauw, Wabash, Lindenwood-Belleville, Marian (if Uindy stays)

Thoughts? other expansion candidates?

Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post
    With Bellarmine going D1, I think there is going to some more rumors of schools to move into the conference over the next year. With the possibility of Unidy and Lewis leaving as well, multiple teams could move in. Here is what could be a shortlist:

1. Oakland City - currently D2 independent, geographical fit, travel partner with USI, but very behind competitive wise in most sports
    2. Lincoln - currently MIAA, was affliate member, but would be very hard to pry them away from MIAA as they have waited for many years for a full invite as I understand it.
    3. Kentucky Wesleyan - current GMAC, former member, geogrpahic fit, travel partner with USI, but small step down competitive wise in football and some potential old bad blood with them leaving the conference orginally
    4. Trevecca Nazarene - currently GMAC, and similar fit as KWC but geographic stretch
    5. Various NAIA and D3 move options such as: Depauw, Wabash, Lindenwood-Belleville, Marian (if Uindy stays)

Thoughts? other expansion candidates?
    Yes. Forget about Lindenwood-Belleville.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...8b8c1f3.html#1

https://lindenlink.com/2019/05/13/li...ms-after-2020/

Comment

Oakland City - seems happy playing a NCCAA and USCAA loaded schedule while using the NCAA label

Lincoln - does not sponsor many of the GLVC required sports

Kentucky Wesleyan & Trevecca Nazarene - reportedly committed to the G-MAC

My pick for a GLVC addition is St. Ambrose. They have a full-time undergrad enrollment over 2,100 and fairly close to several current members. They also sponsor every GLVC sport except wrestling and their addition would give the GLVC the possibility to add two more championship sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
        Oakland City - seems happy playing a NCCAA and USCAA loaded schedule while using the NCAA label

Lincoln - does not sponsor many of the GLVC required sports

Kentucky Wesleyan & Trevecca Nazarene - reportedly committed to the G-MAC

My pick for a GLVC addition is St. Ambrose. They have a full-time undergrad enrollment over 2,100 and fairly close to several current members. They also sponsor every GLVC sport except wrestling and their addition would give the GLVC the possibility to add two more championship sports.

Certainly makes sense, would especially help with trying to keep lewis. If Lewis/Uindy go, I could see them kind of double down on the Southern Illinois/Missouri schools and look for more within the current footprint.

Comment

Interesting, I did not know they were shutting down. My real worry is what will happen to that beautiful set of turf.

https://lindenwoodlynx.com/sports/20...odStadium.aspx

Comment

Interesting, I did not know they were shutting down. My real worry is what will happen to that beautiful set of turf.

https://lindenwoodlynx.com/sports/20...odStadium.aspx
            They might turn it into a parking lot for a candy cane factory.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              They might turn it into a parking lot for a candy cane factory.

I hear the Willy Wonka factory needs some new wallpaper

Comment

I'm sure the MIAA would be more than happy to give Lincoln back.

Comment

Was unfamiliar with Oakland City... from Wikipedia:

Founded in 1885, it has slowly grown to the present student enrollment of about 120 on the main campus and, counting all sites, about 2,000 total. OCU's teams, called the Oaks, play in the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) and NCAA Division II, where they have won many CCNIT national titles over the years.

Don't think the conference is that desperate. Maybe smaller is better.

Comment

One thing I wouldn't rule out is a possibility of an Illinois D1 directional school dropping back down to D2. Heard rumors a while back about Western Illinois possibly making that shift because of the Illinois budget situation, which would put them right in the heart of GLVC country.

People need to stop thinking the GLVC will add Lincoln as a full-time member. They don't sponsor GLVC core sports of volleyball, men's + women's soccer and baseball (that's four of the seven required, so there's a long way to go). Also, the academics and graduation rate are nowhere close to the standard set by the GLVC, so I can't see the school presidents getting behind it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled LU View Post
                      Was unfamiliar with Oakland City... from Wikipedia:

Founded in 1885, it has slowly grown to the present student enrollment of about 120 on the main campus and, counting all sites, about 2,000 total. OCU's teams, called the Oaks, play in the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) and NCAA Division II, where they have won many CCNIT national titles over the years.

Don't think the conference is that desperate. Maybe smaller is better.
                      ya, i will admit they are way behind in a lot of areas. It would take some serious commitment and money, but could be a fit with a new AD coming in. i see it as a buying low scenairio.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
                        One thing I wouldn't rule out is a possibility of an Illinois D1 directional school dropping back down to D2. Heard rumors a while back about Western Illinois possibly making that shift because of the Illinois budget situation, which would put them right in the heart of GLVC country.

People need to stop thinking the GLVC will add Lincoln as a full-time member. They don't sponsor GLVC core sports of volleyball, men's + women's soccer and baseball (that's four of the seven required, so there's a long way to go). Also, the academics and graduation rate are nowhere close to the standard set by the GLVC, so I can't see the school presidents getting behind it either.
                        Yes, Lincoln is usually looked at just because they already had a relationship with the conference. They would be a similar add to Oakland City, they would have to really show a commitment to improving certain areas.

Comment

Yes, Lincoln is usually looked at just because they already had a relationship with the conference. They would be a similar add to Oakland City, they would have to really show a commitment to improving certain areas.
                          Serious question: why would the GLVC even approach Oakland City in the first place? They're barely playing a D2 schedule to begin with - and by that, I mean they're barely playing ANYONE in D2. I don't even understand why they're even wasting the NCAA's time to begin with.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                            Serious question: why would the GLVC even approach Oakland City in the first place? They're barely playing a D2 schedule to begin with - and by that, I mean they're barely playing ANYONE in D2. I don't even understand why they're even wasting the NCAA's time to begin with.
                            Oakland city is a geography add first and formost to keep travel costs down. While already D2, i would see adding oakland city as comparable to thier sponsorship of benedictine that fell through. Its adding a school that could develop into a strong member. No one expected benedictine to be an instant powerhouse. Oakland City would also be able to move right into the conference without the extra expenses and redtape of adding and NAIA or D3 school. there are clear problems with oakland city, but i would see them as a dark horse.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                              Serious question: why would the GLVC even approach Oakland City in the first place?
                              They wouldn't, but they keep being put on the same old record player here. Same with Lincoln. Just because schools are near other conference schools doesn't mean they fit the league any way whatsoever because of a number of factors: enrollment, academics, required/sponsored sports, a whole litany of things.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X