Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

I think you will see the GLIAC making a push for UIndy and Lewis in the future.

The GLIAC currently consists of 3 UP schools, 2 Thumb schools, 3 west Michigan schools, plus a Detroit school, a NW Indiana school and a SE Wisconsin school and an Ohio School.

Adding Lewis and UIndy would bump the conference to 10 football schools which is easier for scheduling. From a non-football scheduling situation, the GLIAC has an off layout of teams, so I don't know that true travel partners will really exist for sports like basketball and volleyball. Volleyball is an easy sport to schedule because you can play three opponents in three days. So a school could make a three day across the UP or to West Michigan no problem. Basketball poses a bigger issue, but if Lewis and Indy were to join. The GLIAC would then have 14 schools, meaning two 7 team divisions. I would have the north be : MTU, LSSU, NMU, Ferris, WSU, SVSU and Northwood. The south would be Ashland, GVSU, PNW, Indy, Lewis, UWP and Davenport. The addition of WSU to the north would be due to ease of travel. There is a direct expressway connection from Detroit to the Thumb and UP. Crossing Michigan north of Grand Rapids is mostly 2 lane roads.

The bigger issue will be travel time and travel distance. With the eastern GLVC dissolving or potentially dissolving the question will remain how much do Indy and Lewis really want to travel to remain in the league. If they choose to go either the GLIAC or GMAC would be alternatives, but from an establishment standpoint, the GLIAC is a much better fit for both schools.
    Last edited by chapmaja; 08-07-2019, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X