Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Influence Power Ratings

If you followed my articles in 2019, or made it through to the end of my last article, you might be somewhat familiar with the Influence Power Ratings.

Long story short, this is an objective way to measure how a team performs against an opponent relative to how the opponent normally performs.

Example.

If the Dolphins give up an average of 500 yards per game, and the Falcons come in and accumulate 600 yards of total offense, the Falcons would earn an IPR of 0.2 for that specific category because the put up 20% more yards on the dolphins than they normally give up.

Positive number IPRs indicate a team is able to perform better against opponents than their opponents normally allow.

Negative number IPRs indicate opponents are able to perform better against a team than than they usually do.

Because these ratings are dependent on a decent sample size to produce a meaningful average, I can only calculate this after a few games have been played. Also, because non D2 competition can skew averages so significantly (NAIA or FCS opponents) I only use in division competition to calculate the ratings.

With that said.... here are the IPR through week 5!
    Offensive IPR
    1 LU 0.25
    2 Truman 0.12
    3 Uindy 0.12
    4 MoST 0.08
    5 Quincy 0.02
    6 McK -0.11
    7 SBU -0.14
    8 WJC -0.24
    LU's performance against a stout Truman defense elevated them this week several spots. UIndy got back on track this weekend earning a positive IPR against a vulnerable SBU defense with some gaudy numbers. Quincy's offense is obviously a big reason they have a + .500 record right now.
    Defensive IPR
    1 Uindy 0.27
    2 LU 0.06
    3 McK 0.05
    4 Truman 0.02
    5 MoST -0.27
    6 SBU -0.31
    7 WJC -0.33
    8 Quincy -0.37

UIndy's Defensive IPR got a huge boost by shutting down SBU's offense to only 161 yards and 10 points. LU's performance against Truman took them out of the red into the positive.
    Total IPR
    1 Uindy 0.19
    2 LU 0.15
    3 Truman 0.07
    4 McK -0.03
    5 MoST -0.09
    6 Quincy -0.17
    7 SBU -0.23
    8 WJC -0.29

UIndy's superior defense has them atop the conference. Truman's drop can partially be blamed on the fact that their first opponent of the year, Davenport has been dismal on the year. These rankings require teams to handle, dominate, and blow out bad teams the way good teams should.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X