Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood VS Uindy Clock Management

D2 coaching is not a super high paying job, and I am sure it is not easy. Definitely not here to bash college age kids, but the clock management employed by UIndy verses Lindenwood was horrible. You dominate the first half, looks like it is headed toward a blowout win, you have Lindenwood 4th and 20 at the 50 yard line, 1 minute left in the half with two timeouts and you allow them to run the clock out?? Don't even make them punt the ball to you?? Your seventh year senior at Quarterback and the most explosive player in the conference in your backfield, and you don't want to give them a shot?? Maybe force them to punt? Maybe try to block the kick?? I do not understand that philosophy at all. Conservative to the max, I believe that willingness to be satisfied, to be terrified of what could go wrong and take the lead into the locker room, set the tone for the absolutely dismal performance in the second half. When you manage a business or coach a team from a place of fear, you end up bringing those fears to fruition. A second half muffed punt turns the momentum of the entire game, and an offense not given a chance to step on their throats, sputters to show any resilience. And just for icing on the cake to really burn a mark into my Psyche, allow six seconds to run off the clock before calling a timeout in the 4th quarter down by one possession with 1:06 left on 3rd and 11. Get the needed stop and then don't tell your punt returner to fair catch the ball so we can take one last shot at it. We all get to watch the ball roll around and Lindenwood wait to touch it with 0:00 on the clock for the win. Basically give up, just like they did to end the first half. Unfathomable. The only thing you can directly control as a coach is the timeouts. You can call the plays, but the kids still have to execute them. You can decide who plays, but the kid still has to execute. You can decide to go for it, or kick, but the kid still has to execute. The only way you directly have any influence on the outcome of the game is by using your timeouts, and they failed at their one direct impact job miserably.

I did notice the end of the game punt situation. I'm guessing it wasn't emphasized to the returner that they HAD to fair catch it or else time would run out. When I saw the ball hit the ground I obviously got excited.

Regarding the end of the half deal, UIndy had controlled the game pretty well up to that point. I'm sure the coaches felt pretty confident that 20 points wasn't going to be all the scoring they would do. That a risk reward deal where you don't want to give your opponent any momentum by taking a when the odds of something negative happening are way more than something good happening. It's a hindsight deal. Also, how strong is Stancombe's arm? I don't remember seeing a lot of deepshots from UIndy this season. But when you have arguably the best running back in the country, why would you.
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
      I did notice the end of the game punt situation. I'm guessing it wasn't emphasized to the returner that they HAD to fair catch it or else time would run out. When I saw the ball hit the ground I obviously got excited.

Regarding the end of the half deal, UIndy had controlled the game pretty well up to that point. I'm sure the coaches felt pretty confident that 20 points wasn't going to be all the scoring they would do. That a risk reward deal where you don't want to give your opponent any momentum by taking a when the odds of something negative happening are way more than something good happening. It's a hindsight deal. Also, how strong is Stancombe's arm? I don't remember seeing a lot of deepshots from UIndy this season. But when you have arguably the best running back in the country, why would you.
      Strong. I've seen him throw it 60 yards when not set well. Last year they had three receivers to keep coverage honest. But the difference this game was Lindenwood has a fullback at QB. (And U Indy made a mistake to playing spring season.) Clinton amazing. Haven't seen a U Indy RB like that since Marquis Tolliver picked his way through the GLIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post

Strong. I've seen him throw it 60 yards when not set well. Last year they had three receivers to keep coverage honest. But the difference this game was Lindenwood has a fullback at QB. (And U Indy made a mistake to playing spring season.) Clinton amazing. Haven't seen a U Indy RB like that since Marquis Tolliver picked his way through the GLIAC.
        I think that's fair. Brister def has a Tebo'esq quality in his game.

I was very impressed with the LU defense in the second half, but yeah, if the hounds have Bell, Topper, and Mateo they almost certainly score more than just 20 points.

It will be interesting to see how the region plays out down the stretch. I was thinking LU had an inside track to a home playoff game, but their SOS is going to take a big hit the next few weeks playing all loosing teams. If they can stay undefeated in conference/region I have to think they're at the very least secured a spot though.

Not sure I see a path for UIndy or Truman now. It does look like the ACR is happening this year though, so hopefully we can get a little redemption against the GMAC.
        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X