Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USI move to D1; how does that affect UIndy?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hope would be that they keep Malone/Cedarville/Ursuline, and KWC/TNU pursue other conferences (TNU to GSC, Carolinas, or Peach Belt/KWC to GLVC). That would really solidify the conference around Ohio, and if Indianapolis moves over, I think they could make a very strong pitch to Indiana NAIA schools such as Taylor, Indiana Wesleyan, Marian, and Saint Francis. The latter two are NAIA powerhouses historically and would be a great addition. Indiana Wesleyan is a developing program with a great basketball background, and Taylor seems very stable/would keep the other Christian schools happy by adding another like them. Wouldn't a GMAC with the following schools be a great conference across the board?
    Cedarville
    Findlay
    Taylor
    Lake Erie
    Malone
    Ohio Dominican
    Tiffin
    Ursuline
    Walsh
    Ashland
    Indianapolis
    Notre Dame College
    Indiana Wesleyan
    Marian
    Saint Francis
    I hope that the GLIAC solidifies around Michigan, luring the Michigan NAIAs in and then bringing back Northwood, retaining Davenport, and maybe even bring Hillsdale back. Ferris and GV end up as D1 in my scenario. They could also work on the Chicago area and add non-football Lewis. The GLIAC could look like this.
    Northwood
    Davenport
    Madonna
    Hillsdale
    Lake Superior State
    Michigan Tech
    Northern Michigan
    Purdue-Northwest
    Saginaw Valley State
    Wayne State
    Wisconsin-Parkside
    Lewis
    Lawrence Tech
    Concordia-Ann Arbor
    Siena Heights
    The GLVC could then continue their westward expansion with Upper Iowa from the NSIC, Saint Ambrose and Missouri Baptist from NAIA, and KWC returning from the GMAC. Thomas More could also find a home here as a travel partner with KWC.
    Kentucky Wesleyan
    Drury
    Illinois-Springfield
    St. Ambrose
    Maryville
    McKendree
    Missouri S&T
    Missouri-Saint Louis
    Quincy
    Rockhurst
    Southwest Baptist
    Thomas More
    William Jewell
    Missouri Baptist
    Upper Iowa
    Additionally, the Mountain East could make some changes with the following, as they would be looking to replace Notre Dame with WV Tech from NAIA, and Salem/Bluefield State from DII Independents.
    Alderson Broaddus
    Charleston
    Concord
    Davis & Elkins
    Fairmont State
    Frostburg State
    Glenville State
    West Liberty
    West Virginia State
    West Virginia Wesleyan
    Wheeling
    Bluefield State
    Salem
    West Virginia Tech
    All of these alignments are just my theories, but I feel that they would benefit every conference/school and would really solidify Division II across the Midwest/Great Lakes region.
    Last edited by Uindy18; 07-07-2022, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
      It was actually Georgetown, Cumberland (TN) and UVA-Wise that were announced additions but did not come. Georgetown and Cumberland were denied D2 entrance and remain NAIA. UVA-Wise pulled a switcheroo and joined the MEC instead (despite the G-MAC sponsoring their D2 application).
      Right, my mistake, but the point stands. I do not seem them as a great addition, but not as weird as the Davenport/Northwood geography issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post

do not expect NDC leaving MEC for GMAC, they have grown to like it there and vice-versa
        Yes and no. I think everyone at NDC knows that the GMAC would be a better geographic and cultural fit and would probably benefit most of the school's athletic teams. However, I think the football team has an easier path to playoffs in the MEC and that is worth something.

I keep thinking that someday someone at NDC will question why every road trip for every athletic team is to WV. And the folks he asks won't have a very good explanation (it's not like the school itself has some connection to WV). It hasn't happened though.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

My axe to grind with Thomas More is mostly that the school does not seem stable/committed to anything. They got ran out of Division III for rules violations, then made a commitment to NAIA just to turn around and leave again after a year. I do not hate the move, but I kinda hope they just don't come after all like Pikeville and Georgetown did.
          I was under the impression that Pikeville and Georgetown were rejected by the NCAA. Maybe the same thing happens to Thomas More given their past history of NCAA rules violations.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
            My hope would be that they keep Malone/Cedarville/Ursuline, and KWC/TNU pursue other conferences (TNU to GSC, Carolinas, or Peach Belt/KWC to GLVC). That would really solidify the conference around Ohio, and if Indianapolis moves over, I think they could make a very strong pitch to Indiana NAIA schools such as Taylor, Indiana Wesleyan, Marian, and Saint Francis. The latter two are NAIA powerhouses historically and would be a great addition. Indiana Wesleyan is a developing program with a great basketball background, and Taylor seems very stable/would keep the other Christian schools happy by adding another like them. Wouldn't a GMAC with the following schools be a great conference across the board? .
            Taylor is a stretch. Don't have the means in multiple ways. Go to a few of their athletic events & see where they are at. They seem many years away from a D2-type.
            Marian I'd like to see despite the fights and felonies - they still offer character issue guys that Findlay & Tiffin (and UIndy) won't touch. We like their current SID though.
            Saint Francis has taken a back seat recently since they won't gamble to that crazy extent on character issue guys. Fort Wayne is the great location for a GMAC team?
            Indiana Wesleyan gets the right kind of kid & has the best stadium (along with Saint Francis). You must know that IWU Football beat Marian & Saint Francis last year?

Comment

The only NAIA school that should be considered is Indiana Wesleyan. Good size school, good academics, outstanding athletic facilities, winning programs, geographical fit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDog View Post

Taylor is a stretch. Don't have the means in multiple ways. Go to a few of their athletic events & see where they are at. They seem many years away from a D2-type.
                Marian I'd like to see despite the fights and felonies - they still offer character issue guys that Findlay & Tiffin (and UIndy) won't touch. We like their current SID though.
                Saint Francis has taken a back seat recently since they won't gamble to that crazy extent on character issue guys. Fort Wayne is the great location for a GMAC team?
                Indiana Wesleyan gets the right kind of kid & has the best stadium (along with Saint Francis). You must know that IWU Football beat Marian & Saint Francis last year?

I know Taylor is behind the other three, but I also think they are a package deal with IWU, not unlike Walsh and Malone. I know they are by no means top competition, but they would fit in well with the Malone and Cedarville side of the conference. Reminder, this conference approved Thomas More, and all 4 of those schools i think hit that baseline when it comes to stability, competition, and facilities.

Marian and Saint Francis have some issues, but they are at least on par with the middle of the conference like Walsh and Lake Erie if not well ahead that level. Additionally, I love the idea of a Indy vs. Marian crosstown in-conference showdown. They tried to so it for awhile but not one likes playing across the NAIA/NCAA divide to often.

Indiana Wesleyan has been developing quickly so, I agree they would be a great add.
                Last edited by Uindy18; 07-07-2022, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Quite a few teams try to balance their rosters and surround the character problem guys with good character guys but St Francis doesn't take on character problems to the extent that Marian does - easy to check and see who else is offering the same kid. Taylor has that one big basketball game event but the rest of time it's you can hear a mouthpiece drop into the grass. Indiana Wesleyan does an amazing job while limiting themselves to reputable recruits. A school that's perfectly located like St Francis for GMACs Hillsdale/Findlay/Tiffin and with AMAZING facilities is D3 Trine University.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Stadium.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	679658

Comment

Trine University click on Menu / Facilities: https://www.trinethunder.com/landing/index
                    Then check out the MTI Center, Thunder Ice Arena, and Athletic Recreation Center - all amazing for D3

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                      Trine University click on Menu / Facilities: https://www.trinethunder.com/landing/index
                      Then check out the MTI Center, Thunder Ice Arena, and Athletic Recreation Center - all amazing for D3
                      Trine would be a fine addition too, but I am still in the Marian/IWU/USF camp if the GMAC ends up going with further NAIA expansion. I am starting to wonder if Thomas More really will get approved for their return to NCAA, they had some pretty serious sanctions coming their way in Division III.

Comment

While the Trine facilities are great, Marian and Taylor are still solid. For example. here are theirs.

Marian Basketball - https://www.muknights.com/facility/details/5
                        Marian Football - https://www.muknights.com/Facilities...nt_Health_Fiel
                        Taylor - https://www.taylortrojans.com/facilities

Trine is great, but there are no significant facility issues with any of these schools. Especially when you consider that there are schools like Lake Erie in the conference, who would probably love to have as nice of facilities as any of these.

Lake Erie facilities - https://www.lakeeriestorm.com/inform...cilities/index

Comment

TNU has been rumored to be interested in rejoining the NAIA for the past few years. U of Tenn Southern (Martin Methodist), a traditional rival, announced an abrupt move to the Southern States Conf. Maybe an indication that TNU is finally pulling the trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post
                            TNU has been rumored to be interested in rejoining the NAIA for the past few years. U of Tenn Southern (Martin Methodist), a traditional rival, announced an abrupt move to the Southern States Conf. Maybe an indication that TNU is finally pulling the trigger?
                            Not gonna lie, but I sometimes forget TNU is in the GMAC.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Not gonna lie, but I sometimes forget TNU is in the GMAC.
                              Ya, TNU and KWC were critical for the conference early on as they jumped in when issues rose around Salem, Central State, Urbana, and Notre Dame. However, both, and especially TNU, would really be better off from finding a new situation now. I would be betting on KWC ending up back in the GLVC at some point. TNU I could see going back to NAIA, or ending up in in Conference Carolinas, Gulf South, the Peach Belt, or the SAC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X