Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USI move to D1; how does that affect UIndy?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Ya, TNU and KWC were critical for the conference early on as they jumped in when issues rose around Salem, Central State, Urbana, and Notre Dame. However, both, and especially TNU, would really be better off from finding a new situation now. I would be betting on KWC ending up back in the GLVC at some point. TNU I could see going back to NAIA, or ending up in in Conference Carolinas, Gulf South, the Peach Belt, or the SAC.
    I'd guess the SAC or Gulf South. Nashville is too far west for it to be a footprint fit for ConfCar (the lone Tennessee school is King University in Bristol) and the Peach Belt is mostly public colleges (save for Flagler and Young Harris) centered around Georgia and South Carolina (Flagler, again, is the outlier, being in Florida, albeit in St. Augustine, which is due south of Jacksonville). The SAC has three East Tennessee schools (Carson-Newman in Jefferson City, Lincoln Memorial in Harrogate and Tusculum), so that's a little too far west from Nashville. GSC already has some non-football schools in Tennessee (Christian Brothers in Memphis, Lee in Cleveland and Union in Jackson) so TNU fits that footprint nicely (and Alabama-Huntsville is practically a straight shot down I-65); I think the GSC, were they interested in expanding, would probably prefer a football school over a school that doesn't sponsor football).
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Here's the conversations I hear - U Indy will vote on a move from D2 to D1 at the end of September. If the board turns it down, they'll likely go GMAC. Not sure what D1 conference they'd end up in because apparently they balked at the OVC last summer. Maybe having Lindenwood there helps the OVC situation. Lightning fast changes taking place in University Heights and my contacts expect them to make the move. U Indy President was a lacrosse guy and won his national championship at U Indy then accepted an offer to become the DePaul President. And Indiana U Bloomington President somehow decided it was a good idea renaming IUPUI campus Indiana University of Indianapolis or for short IU Indy and that name change wouldn't cause any confusion!? U Indy's main competition in football recruiting would be Indiana State and Tennessee Martin plus the Illinois FCS schools. Main basketball recruiting competition would be Southern Indiana, Evansville, Indiana State, Valpo, Purdue Fort Wayne - and IUPUI who most likely won't be able to keep up with a U Indy program. U Indy athletic facilities were great 40 and 50 years ago but so good they haven't been upgraded since then. That will have to change. They have a big dome but gave their indoor field turf to a city school. They built the university over 100 years ago selling plots of land to working class families and they've been getting land back plot by plot ever since. That would likely speed up to a feverish pace should they go D1 and need land to relocate their track and renovate their football stadium And for God sakes move the soccer and lacrosse fields along with the track - that field marking looks like my 6 year old put on her own makeup across their football field!
      Last edited by michiganfb; 08-20-2022, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
        And Indiana U Bloomington President somehow decided it was a good idea renaming IUPUI campus Indiana University of Indianapolis or for short IU Indy and that name change wouldn't cause any confusion!?
        Yep. IUI and UIndy. That could confuse even people who live there. Reminds me of the Newhart show- "Larry, his brother Darryl & his other brother Darryl". Not sure who Larry would be. PFW?

Comment

Here's the conversations I hear - U Indy will vote on a move from D2 to D1 at the end of September. If the board turns it down, they'll likely go GMAC. Not sure what D1 conference they'd end up in because apparently they balked at the OVC last summer. Maybe having Lindenwood there helps the OVC situation. Lightning fast changes taking place in University Heights and my contacts expect them to make the move. U Indy President was a lacrosse guy and won his national championship at U Indy then accepted an offer to become the DePaul President. And Indiana U Bloomington President somehow decided it was a good idea renaming IUPUI campus Indiana University of Indianapolis or for short IU Indy and that name change wouldn't cause any confusion!? U Indy's main competition in football recruiting would be Indiana State and Tennessee Martin plus the Illinois FCS schools. Main basketball recruiting competition would be Southern Indiana, Evansville, Indiana State, Valpo, Purdue Fort Wayne - and IUPUI who most likely won't be able to keep up with a U Indy program. U Indy athletic facilities were great 40 and 50 years ago but so good they haven't been upgraded since then. That will have to change. They have a big dome but gave their indoor field turf to a city school. They built the university over 100 years ago selling plots of land to working class families and they've been getting land back plot by plot ever since. That would likely speed up to a feverish pace should they go D1 and need land to relocate their track and renovate their football stadium And for God sakes move the soccer and lacrosse fields along with the track - that field marking looks like my 6 year old put on her own makeup across their football field!
          I would be stunned if they went D1 but what do I know. I did get a chuckle out of Tenn-Martin being a recruiting rival.

if they go D1 football should join the Pioneer. Save the scholarships and return the Top Dog game.

Comment

Here's the conversations I hear -

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Campbell View Post

I would be stunned if they went D1 but what do I know. I did get a chuckle out of Tenn-Martin being a recruiting rival.

if they go D1 football should join the Pioneer. Save the scholarships and return the Top Dog game.
              Last edited by TheDog; 08-26-2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Just yesterday I was wondering if U Indy would consider moving up to D1, and today I found your post on the topic.

??????
                Last edited by crixus; 08-24-2022, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Yep. IUI and UIndy. That could confuse even people who live there. Reminds me of the Newhart show- "Larry, his brother Darryl & his other brother Darryl". Not sure who Larry would be. PFW?

Comment

Would love to see UIndy in the G-MAC, but completely understand the allure of D1. I've had 3 kids graduate HS in the past 4 years. I've noticed that their generation is much more brand conscious than my generation was when picking colleges. Most of their friends went to D1 schools that we have all heard of. Then, there is a group that is more cost-conscious and is going to community college, local nursing schools, etc. There are a lot of schools in that gap between community college and D1 - but for some reason, kids just don't seem to be attracted to them as much as they used to be. What I notice is that almost every friend that is going to a school in that gap is a student athlete. It was so noticeable to me that if I saw a kid wearing a shirt or hat from a small school, I'd ask my daughters what sport the kid is going to play in college. Inevitably, they would tell me that he/she is playing XX sport in college. When Bellarmine announced their move, they cited research and analysis that aligns with what I'm seeing locally. Basically, BU said that they felt like they would slowly decline in size and relevance if they did not make a bold move in an attempt to change their fate. Actually, I think BU gave more-honest answers and insight regarding the move than any school I can remember.

So, all that to say - I'd love to see UIndy in the G-MAC. But if not - I get it.

Comment

Interesting one-off from the AD at Quincy at the end of this article. He believes Indy's move to D1 is coming.
                      https://www.wgem.com/2022/08/19/five...tic-offerings/

Comment

A really good read, thx for posting.

interesting about UINdy at end of article

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                          Would love to see UIndy in the G-MAC, but completely understand the allure of D1. I've had 3 kids graduate HS in the past 4 years. I've noticed that their generation is much more brand conscious than my generation was when picking colleges. Most of their friends went to D1 schools that we have all heard of. Then, there is a group that is more cost-conscious and is going to community college, local nursing schools, etc. There are a lot of schools in that gap between community college and D1 - but for some reason, kids just don't seem to be attracted to them as much as they used to be. What I notice is that almost every friend that is going to a school in that gap is a student athlete. It was so noticeable to me that if I saw a kid wearing a shirt or hat from a small school, I'd ask my daughters what sport the kid is going to play in college. Inevitably, they would tell me that he/she is playing XX sport in college. When Bellarmine announced their move, they cited research and analysis that aligns with what I'm seeing locally. Basically, BU said that they felt like they would slowly decline in size and relevance if they did not make a bold move in an attempt to change their fate. Actually, I think BU gave more-honest answers and insight regarding the move than any school I can remember.

So, all that to say - I'd love to see UIndy in the G-MAC. But if not - I get it.
                          Love your informal research study! The kind of thing I would do. My stats guy would say it's possible you have some contamination in your sampling, in that it might be athletes are much more likely to wear their school colors and gear than nonathletes. But we'd love the GMAC if D1 isn't the best move.

A couple other variables going on that I don't know enough about to mention but one I can comment on is the punch in the face of Indiana U planning to capitalize on our Indianapolis nametag in order to grow IUPUI. Big schools facing drops in enrollment too. That could sink a small private school in the gap between that you mention. So it might be for UIndy that we either jump into D1 and start swimming or we sink in the ship City of Indianapolis that's actually ours - we're the namesake. It's this town ain't big enough for the two of us. And other than IUPUI's swim program, don't believe they could hang with UIndy athletics, especially a few years down the D1 road.

Comment

TheDog - Yes, my observations were admittedly not very scientific. Extremely small sample size (one dad with three daughters at the same private school). However, what I was seeing on a micro scale did seem to match the BU analysis.

I'm seeing more and more speculation regarding a move to the OVC. If so, congrats. I think it's a good move for UIndy - and yes, the IUI thing (which forces a "defend your turf mentality") may be one added reason to make the move now.

Comment

im hoping they make the move to D1. it be a great move and they def. wouldnt have a problem competing

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Campbell View Post

Not a done deal yet. My indsiders say it's looking D1 but who knows for sure how the Trustees will vote. Hillsdale and Ashland are two similar small private football loving schools like U Indy and that is lost without D2 GMAC. U Indy wouldn't easily give up their rivalry with Hilldale so makes me think Hillsdale might be thinking D1 as well. Losing Hillsdale and Ashland but gaining Lindenwood back and Southern Indiana for basketball plus adding IUPUI is the trade off as far as athletics go. Southern Indiana probably thought they could run and hide from U Indy basketball competition so kind of funny. Interesting thing all groups surveyed at Southern Indiana if in favor of competing at D1 level or not voted NO except for the even split among their athletes and they still ended up voting D1. Why have the survey if you don't listen to the results? https://www.usi.edu/explore-di/proce...urvey-results/

Tennessee Martin and Lindenwood won't have much luck recruiting Indianapolis if U Indy joins the FCS. As far as Butler, that Top Dog Trophy was a great longtime tradition and belongs at U Indy! The Greyhounds beat the Bulldogs the last year it was played but Butler said no fair we don't have any freshman on athletic grants anymore.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X