Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 MIAA Surprise team.

A comparison of Northeastern St. to Missouri Southern returning roster and production

NEO has 32 upper classmen on the roster for 5th year head coach
    Mo So has 28 upper classmen on the roster for 4th year head coach
    (Both teams at this point should have players and rosters built up by the coaches that fit their scheme and what they want to do to compete in the conference. I don't think that's necessarily true. And for Missouri Southern, it may not matter that Denver Johnson has been there 4 years since literally his whole staff turned over in the offseason.)

NEO returns 6% rushing yards, 66% passing yards, 32% receiving yards
    Mo So returns 56% rushing yards, 90% passing yards, 64% receiving yards
    (NEO lost a lot of production but seems to want to build around Cade Yeager as he started last year at quarterback as a true freshman. CJ Shavers isn't listed on the roster so without him at RB, the offense is a complete rebuild. Mo So is a mixed bag on offense, they split time equally between QBs last year but Brayden Scott is actually listed as a safety on the roster and Vandeven was also their leading receiver last year. Shemar Coleman does a little bit of everything. It's good to have athletes but at some point you got to keep key players in key roles throughout the game.)

NEO returns 72% of tackles, 68% of sacks, 67% of INTs
    Mo So returns 84% of tackles, 100% of sacks, 50% of INTs
    (Both teams return a lot on defense and like bad teams tend to do the year before played a lot of freshman and sophomores. So their is experience there to work. However, I think the problem for both teams will be their offenses are so bad that they will be on the field a lot on defense. Which means they'll put up some big numbers in the stats department with tackles, INTs, even sacks but those are pretty hollow numbers given that they are being racked up from excess time on the field. In a perfect world, defense would get 3 tackles and be off the field; these defenses are more like 10 tackles and the other team still scores.)

NEO returns 100% punt, 40% FGs, 62% return yards
    Mo So returns 0% punt, 0% FG, 87% return yards
    (NEO punted an absurd 84 times last year, hopefully Blake Pearce got some rest on that leg during the offseason because he's likely to be using it at that pace again. For Mo So it wasn't much better punting 74 times, but they have to find a new guy whose leg to abuse, hopefully whoever it is gets their squat workouts in during the offseason.)

Can two bad teams, that not much is expected, have their coaches on the hot seat? I say yes. I really think for both these teams to show just a middling amount of success and improvement it comes down to a simple question of whether Rob Robinson for Northeastern and Denver Johnson for Missouri Southern can coach football. Do they run good practices, are they getting players conditioned, can they run a base offense and defense consistently? If I had to pick I'd go with Denver Johnson being able to do so but then again he lost his staff so he's also got a lot of administrative work to put in now.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post
      What i like about Ft Hays is they build on defense. In this conference, that's a differentiator. Look at NW being competitive last year with essentially not much going on offense.
      That is being very generous.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
        A comparison of Northeastern St. to Missouri Southern returning roster and production

NEO has 32 upper classmen on the roster for 5th year head coach
        Mo So has 28 upper classmen on the roster for 4th year head coach
        (Both teams at this point should have players and rosters built up by the coaches that fit their scheme and what they want to do to compete in the conference. I don't think that's necessarily true. And for Missouri Southern, it may not matter that Denver Johnson has been there 4 years since literally his whole staff turned over in the offseason.)

NEO returns 6% rushing yards, 66% passing yards, 32% receiving yards
        Mo So returns 56% rushing yards, 90% passing yards, 64% receiving yards
        (NEO lost a lot of production but seems to want to build around Cade Yeager as he started last year at quarterback as a true freshman. CJ Shavers isn't listed on the roster so without him at RB, the offense is a complete rebuild. Mo So is a mixed bag on offense, they split time equally between QBs last year but Brayden Scott is actually listed as a safety on the roster and Vandeven was also their leading receiver last year. Shemar Coleman does a little bit of everything. It's good to have athletes but at some point you got to keep key players in key roles throughout the game.)

NEO returns 72% of tackles, 68% of sacks, 67% of INTs
        Mo So returns 84% of tackles, 100% of sacks, 50% of INTs
        (Both teams return a lot on defense and like bad teams tend to do the year before played a lot of freshman and sophomores. So their is experience there to work. However, I think the problem for both teams will be their offenses are so bad that they will be on the field a lot on defense. Which means they'll put up some big numbers in the stats department with tackles, INTs, even sacks but those are pretty hollow numbers given that they are being racked up from excess time on the field. In a perfect world, defense would get 3 tackles and be off the field; these defenses are more like 10 tackles and the other team still scores.)

NEO returns 100% punt, 40% FGs, 62% return yards
        Mo So returns 0% punt, 0% FG, 87% return yards
        (NEO punted an absurd 84 times last year, hopefully Blake Pearce got some rest on that leg during the offseason because he's likely to be using it at that pace again. For Mo So it wasn't much better punting 74 times, but they have to find a new guy whose leg to abuse, hopefully whoever it is gets their squat workouts in during the offseason.)

Can two bad teams, that not much is expected, have their coaches on the hot seat? I say yes. I really think for both these teams to show just a middling amount of success and improvement it comes down to a simple question of whether Rob Robinson for Northeastern and Denver Johnson for Missouri Southern can coach football. Do they run good practices, are they getting players conditioned, can they run a base offense and defense consistently? If I had to pick I'd go with Denver Johnson being able to do so but then again he lost his staff so he's also got a lot of administrative work to put in now.
        Even though this is Denver's 4th year, the first recruiting class was not his. Denver was not hired until April since Date resigned so late. At QB, I think it's fair to say that 0% of the passing yards return, since I don't expect either of those two to play QB this year.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
          That is being very generous.
          We are going to find out what happens when you have more talent, but less experience almost everywhere on the field (with some key exceptions).

Young, talented QB, several stud RBs, potential at WR and wait and see OL.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
            Even though this is Denver's 4th year, the first recruiting class was not his. Denver was not hired until April since Date resigned so late. At QB, I think it's fair to say that 0% of the passing yards return, since I don't expect either of those two to play QB this year.

Yeah, I knew that about Denver coming in late, that probably hampered nearly 2 years of trying to build something. Because he couldn't recruit the first year, then the second year those guys he brought in should have redshirted; probably didn't or if they did played last year in year 3. Who do you think is QB, Gossen? or is a transfer coming in? Would be good to get a QB, have Vandeven at WR and have Shemar Coleman as the feature back, Mo So might actually have some pieces.

Comment

QB's at MOSO. Brayden Scott that split between safety and QB is no longer on the roster, he's out of eligibility. Devonte Vandeven that split at QB and WR has decided to no longer play football, and left school. The new starting QB this season at MOSO is going to be transfer Sean Kelly 6-2 - 205 - QB - Colchester, Conn. - Bacon Academy - Monroe College.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion Pride Alum View Post
                QB's at MOSO. Brayden Scott that split between safety and QB is no longer on the roster, he's out of eligibility. Devonte Vandeven that split at QB and WR has decided to no longer play football, and left school. The new starting QB this season at MOSO is going to be transfer Sean Kelly 6-2 - 205 - QB - Colchester, Conn. - Bacon Academy - Monroe College.
                Damn

Comment

Originally posted by Lion Pride Alum View Post
                  Their qb coach was a hell of a qb a few years ago.

Comment

A comparison of Central Missouri to Emporia State returning roster and production

C MO has 35 upper classmen on the roster for 10th year head coach
                    ESU has 57 upper classmen on the roster for 12th year head coach
                    (These two teams are loaded, in particular on offense. Combine that with Svoboda and Higgins at the helm of the programs, there is a lot to be excited about for these two teams. ESU certainly won't actually have that many upper classmen but I'm working off last years roster, which hasn't been updated and what they list coming in for transfers, the only team to do so.)

C MO returns 98% rushing yards, 99% passing yards, 47% receiving yards
                    ESU returns 96% rushing yards, 100% passing yards, 78% receiving yards
                    (These offenses are going to keep the rest of the league defensive coordinators up at night. C MO needs to find a couple receivers maybe but with Bolles throwing the ball I think he makes anybody look good and counter with the best backfield with Turner and Wilkerson to keep defenses on their toes I don't think C MO has a problem filling in the loss of Jaylen Zachary. Emporia, I believe, is the best offense in the league this coming year. They bring a ton of senior leadership to the skill positions. Justin Brown is the best reciever in the league, Nault is arguably the best RB, probably behind Turner of C MO and Marstall, I'd argue the best QB even though he hasn't got quite the recognition other QBs in the league have gotten. These teams are offensive juggernauts, but...)

C MO returns 66% of tackles, 71% of sacks, 54% of INTs
                    ESU returns 61% of tackles, 61% of sacks, 57% of INTs
                    (Both teams have some defensive shortcomings to figure out. Latimore and Rhodes are gone for C MO, where they make up that leadership I don't know, and I'm always suspicious of teams that can't produce a 100 tackles defensive player. C MO top tackler last year, Rhodes, put up 67. The top returning tackler Tyron Taylor had 61 and top LB tackler Miller had 59. Got to find some producers on defense. ESU, I'm going to get blasted here, I think is even worse off than C MO and ESU might just be the worst defense in the MIAA. And I say that knowing they may have the best overall defensive player in the league in Tre'Vaughn Ammons. I think offenses in the MIAA can neutralize Ammons and pick apart the rest of the defense, especially the secondary that brings back just 4 INTs in a 7 INT overall effort.)

C MO returns 100% punt, 100% FGs, 58% return yards
                    ESU returns 6% punt, 0% FG, 70% return yards
                    (C MO has their kicker back, for returns they'll have to replace Jaylen Zachary which could be Turner or Wilkerson which either guy you don't miss a beat on the return team. ESU has to replace their kicker, I doubt it's Marstall who put up 3 punts, pooch punts, last year.)

Both teams are probably going to score 40+ points a game, I don't think it's going to be enough though to win the conference for either. There will be a couple games where the wind is blowing or the weather sucks or a major contributor is banged up or out and the offense just isn't going to click. Both teams will have to rely on defense at some point and I have serious reservations for both teams that they can do that, even for one game.

Comment

Thanks EveryCat. Man, that had to be a lot of work putting all that information together. Ian better watch his back, we might have another aspiring columnist in town. Between Ian and now EveryCat, it looks like we'll be well informed this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
                        Thanks EveryCat. Man, that had to be a lot of work putting all that information together. Ian better watch his back, we might have another aspiring columnist in town. Between Ian and now EveryCat, it looks like we'll be well informed this year.
                        I appreciate those thoughts. It took some effort, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't actually enjoy it. And I'll have to update some of these teams as the rosters get formalized closer to season kick off.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
                          Those two will certainly not be playing QB for MOSO this year... because they are no longer on campus. Southern will turn to a JUCO transfer from Monroe College under center, Sean Kelly.

Comment

FHSU lost a couple redshirts also, and they probably would have been some studs. Either way, I believe they are in good hands for a few years and if Brown hangs around, obviously longer

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
                              Central has always had a ton of potential. The problem they have is carrying it over to each and every Saturday. On paper this year I think they are the team to beat. Paper doesn't play on Saturdays.
                              I could not agree with this statement any more!! I think we will have a lot of the answer on the first game when Central goes to FH. Central had one of the best offenses in all of D2 stat wise but could not put points on the board against FH last year. UCM had the Bearcats beat in Arrowhead last year but could not contain a last second 80 yard scoring drive and lost the game. Losing Coach Clemons will hurt. If they fire on all 8 cylinders every game, The championship will belong to UCM!!! Either way I am really stoked about this season and looking foreword to Saturday afternoons this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton21dad View Post
                                FHSU lost a couple redshirts also, and they probably would have been some studs. Either way, I believe they are in good hands for a few years and if Brown hangs around, obviously longer
                                It is basically a given that 50% or more of nearly every recruiting class will not make it to their Senior year. Exceptions are rare.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X