Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-season composite ranking

I want to share something I have put together for a few years now and hope some of you will enjoy. This is a composite ranking of the four systems (that I know of) that rank D2 schools each week. To be in the composite a team must be in the top 25 of at least one of the rankings. So currently, 36 teams meet that basic criteria and I'd like to think those are the favorites to at least make the playoffs.

I know Massey and Bennett aren't accurate at this time as they rely on game data for their rankings, which we have none. Then again, at this time the human polls have nothing to rely on either. So all in all everything is a crap shoot to start preseason. Stat systems (Massey and Bennett) do have one (huge?) flaw in comparing the MIAA due to the silo schedule, there is nothing to grab outside of the MIAA to judge against, but we all know that. So those systems tend to really appreciate MIAA schools, as you'll probably see as the season goes on. If this is something others like, I'd post weekly updates as the new rankings come out.

On the right you'll see a couple other indicators, one is the average rank of the four polls...if they don't show up in the D2 poll, which doesn't go beyond 25, then they are moved below into 3 ranking tier, and if they aren't mentioned in AFCA as receiving votes but show up in the Massey or Bennett they are moved to the 2 ranking tier. The second indicator is rank discrepancy* which is simply how far the highest and lowest ranking for the team is apart. As you can see, the rankings generally agree TAMU-C is ranked accurately and generally agree is the best team in the nation to start. VA State on the other hand is liked enough by D2 to be in the top 25 and absolutely hated by Massey. (of note, VA State plays two FCS schools to start, so they may go 0-2 and we still not know much about how good they are until after week 3). I also color code by region as that becomes very important later in the year and it's always good to know what schools are where.

I also have a visual map of all the ranked teams by location if you want to get a sense of the landscape. This map is also a lot of fun when we get deeper in the season to get an idea where playoff teams may have to travel.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3692...p5Pm8vG2krtGXs

Enjoy! and comment

*spelled wrong in the document :loser:

Re: pre-season composite ranking

Nice

Comment

Now we need to add them to the pick'em to see how ranking and ratings compare to actual game performance.

Comment

In what ranking is Lindenwood in the top 25?
        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
          In what ranking is Lindenwood in the top 25?
          Bennett d2 rankings on hero sports lists Lindenwood as 25.

However, data is from 11/9 so it's not super up to date. But this is covered in main post

Comment

Originally posted by da_miner View Post

However, data is from 11/9 so it's not super up to date. But this is covered in main post
            Bennett did...something...in the last few days. So while it says 11/9, I know the teams have shifted from where they ended the season ranked. So, it's not a pre-season per se, they've at least wiped out data to prepare for the new season. I like Bennett as the season goes on as they incorporate margin of victory into their system.

Comment

Dang they love the MIAA. Washburn at number 11?
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                Dang they love the MIAA. Washburn at number 11?
                and why UCO and Pitt make the top 5, who knows, but we all know that's absurd. My guess is it uses some sort of conference rank, having the MIAA #1 overall which makes the SOS for the MIAA teams at this time very very high with no games. Bennett during the season tends to drop MIAA teams as that SOS becomes .500 for every team. Somehow, Massey compensates for this flaw.

Comment

Taken from the herosports page describing their algorithm:

How the BennettRank works

TEAMS RANKED
                  All teams are ranked twice daily after the third week of the season. For example, 438 D3 Women's Soccer teams in 2017.

Here's how it all works.

RANKING CRITERIA

Adjusted Margin of Victory
                  Every sports has their own adjustment factor. The overall concept is that there is value in margin of victory. Minimum and maximum thresholds are given to give adequate measure to a win, but minimize the potential impact of a blowout. As an example, for soccer the minimum value for a win is 1.4 goals and it is capped at 4 goals.

Week of the season
                  After Week 4, the weight of each week's games are incremented by 5 percent over the previous week. In this manner, more recent games have more weight than earlier games. After 14 weeks, this weeks games will have 50 percent more weight in the formula than week 4 games.

Home field advantage
                  Yes, there is one for most sports, and it is measurable. As an example soccer has a .4 goal advantage for the home team and we adjust the Adjusted Margin of Victory depending upon whether the team is home or away.

RANKING METHODOLOGY
                  Two factors are used to compute a preliminary ranking. It is the sum of the average Adjusted Margin of Victory of a team, and the average opponent ranks. It is an iterative process that takes between 10 and 100 iterations. More simply, it is a function of your team's average margin of victory and the opponent's average ranks. Based on a team's raw scores, which are scaled between 1.000 and 0.000, the teams are ranked.

TIMING
                  BennettRanks usually take about six games within the division to make intuitive sense. Therefore, we do not calculate any BennettRanks until week four of the season. Updated rankings are performed daily at 10:30 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. Since football has only one game per week, we use an alternative methodology until week seven, when most teams have played six games within the division.

EXCLUDED GAMES
                  All games played outside of the division are NOT included in the ranking, although they will show up on the HERO Sports website.

RESULTS
                  BennettRank consistently outperforms the RPI and Coaches Polls in predicting post-season tournament results. See numerous articles on this subject right here.

BennettRank's methodical analysis and incorporation of strength of schedule concepts into it's formula are the main factors in such results. We observe, especially for D2 and D3, that Coaches Polls tend to overweight raw wins and underweighs strength of schedule. BennettRank mends that.
                  Since last season they ranked MIAA's SoS really high, it means the MIAA schools will be ranked higher.

As part of the preseason composite, BennettRank is pretty useless since it hasn't been run yet, and that's old data/nonsensical data.

Comment

Taken from the herosports page describing their algorithm:

Since last season they ranked MIAA's SoS really high, it means the MIAA schools will be ranked higher.

As part of the preseason composite, BennettRank is pretty useless since it hasn't been run yet, and that's old data/nonsensical data.
                    Agreed, but it wouldn't change much if I removed Bennett at this point. The biggest impact would be West Florida would jump up to 4th, but they are in the top 10 currently so I'm not going to boo hoo them. And Pittsburg would drop to 24th, which is probably a bit more accurate on them than being 15th. All the other teams would stay the same or move up or down just a spot or two.

I've liked doing the composite for myself for the last few years as it will expose flaws/quirks of each of the individual rankings. I particularly like seeing teams that the rankings really disagree, like CSU-Pueblo, why would humans like them better than computers? and teams like Assumption that all four basically agree on even though that team is in the middle of the pack.

Comment

Let's try taking some of the previous season on the massey website and run it through 538's NFL prediction algorithm and see how the rankings look afterwards.

Comment

I don't see the standings so......................... FAKE NEWS!.....BTW You all would be very very poor without me.:laugh:

Comment

I had never heard of Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                            I had never heard of Bennett

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X