That works. Thanks!

Comment

Re: Apes vs. Bugs

Game notes
      http://www.pittstategorillas.com/doc...2018_game2.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
        While I agree the double punter thing is dumb, I did kind of like the time (or two?) when we lined up in it and then motioned Horak into a normal punt team member position. Kind of gave some indication to the rest of our guys as to what the punt return team was going to do.

I think the Pitt rushing offense will be the key to this game. It certainly was in last year's game. Scheurich and Kintchen seem to be good guys and they've put their time in with the program, but the carries need to go to Adkins, Horak and Brown, with Adkins being the feature guy. I'm also fine putting the ball in West's hands on the WR-motion option play, but I'd rather keep the jet sweeps to a minimum. I haven't gone back and re-watched last week's game yet, but watching it in the stadium, I think the UCO defense was pretty good and that our running game will be able to be really explosive against a lot of teams. In theory, ESU should be one of those teams (unless their D has improved a lot, which is impossible to tell against NSU). Pitt State needs to work in a few more first down throws just to be less predictable, but I think our 80-20 split of run vs pass should be about right in this game. There will be teams later in the season that will require more balance.

On the defensive side of the ball, I'm not sure what to expect, but I don't think we'll be able to dominate the way we did against UCO. Marstall and Nault are about as polar opposite as it gets in terms of experience as compared to the UCO guys that were out there and I don't think they'll be as unprepared for the speed of the defense. However, I also think our CBs are more likely to have fewer mental breakdowns in this game. While UCO was only able to meaningfully capitalize on one of them, we had three blown coverages that should've been TDs on Thursday--one overthrown ball led to an incompletion and one underthrown ball allowed Hornback to get over and make the play before any damage was done.

The Pitt State-ESU game last year was so weird with the weather that it's hard to know what to take away from it. Also, Rose is gone and he went absolutely bananas in this game last year. The 2015 and 2016 matchups between these two teams epitomized the shortcomings of Pitt State's secondary in those two seasons (although, the 2015 matchup was also a good showcase for how good Brent Wilson was) as ESU was basically able to go over the top any time they wanted to and then completely pick apart the secondary underneath when we would switch into overcompensation mode. Pitt State has changed a lot in that area since that time.

I look for a more competitive game for both teams than last week--Pitt State's game was not as competitive as the 14 point margin would suggest--but I think Pitt wins this one by playing keep away and nearly doubles ESU in TOP. 24-14, Gorillas.
        Definitely agree with the RB assessment. Way too many guys, no one really could get into a good rhythm.
        We desperately need more balance. Offensive play-calling last week was laughably predictable. It was week 1, though. Excited to see what improvements have been made.

Comment

Upon rewatching the UCO game, it appears that interior OL play may be a weakness of the offense this year. Aside from the sort of yippy snaps in the second half, the center and right guard seemed to be getting next to no push up front. Both are new starters and replacing guys who were pretty good for us last year. Could be the case that UCO just has a stout middle on their defense. However, it'll definitely be something to watch going forward.

I've always been of the opinion that 4 good OL can cover one weak spot pretty easily and it will never be a problem. However, as soon as you get a second weak spot on that OL, it all falls apart really quickly. Hopefully one (or, more ideally, both) of those guys will make a big jump after having a game under their belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
              Upon rewatching the UCO game, it appears that interior OL play may be a weakness of the offense this year. Aside from the sort of yippy snaps in the second half, the center and right guard seemed to be getting next to no push up front. Both are new starters and replacing guys who were pretty good for us last year. Could be the case that UCO just has a stout middle on their defense. However, it'll definitely be something to watch going forward.

I've always been of the opinion that 4 good OL can cover one weak spot pretty easily and it will never be a problem. However, as soon as you get a second weak spot on that OL, it all falls apart really quickly. Hopefully one (or, more ideally, both) of those guys will make a big jump after having a game under their belt.
              Hoping it is just a few growing pains until they get it all worked out. Some snap and communication issues to fix there, too.

I do think the interior DL was pretty stout for UCO, and the LB's are really good.
              They went North and South on the opening drive, but went away from it too soon, imo. Weimers seemed more like he had a ton of ideas he wanted to try instead of going bread and butter to wear them down. Speed option with the powerback, screens, power running with the 150 lb scat back, misdirection, Wildcat, 35 jet sweeps. It was almost like he got bored and had side bets going on what would and wouldn't work.

Comment

ESU by 18... because no ape can withstand the sting.

Comment

Tommy Riggs passed away in the summer of 2007, which means we're in year 11 of PSU's athletics department either having no clue or being willfully lazy on all things external relations.

Comment

Originally posted by reloadmvp View Post
                    ESU by 18... because no ape can withstand the sting.
                    There you are, rerun...

Pitt is going to pluck the stinger and make the bees, a gnat!

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
                      There you are, rerun...

Pitt is going to pluck the stinger and make the bees, a gnat!
                      Careful what you say there - remember that only FEMALE hornets sting... :D

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X