Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apes vs. Bugs

Very interested in this game more than the last to see how the season will shape out. I think this game will come down to how much better Pitt's O is than ESU's D or vice versa.

Look Ahead
    If Pitt Wins they are looking at very likely 5-0 start (Lindenwood being the scariest of the next 3)
    If Pitt Losses It looks like it might be another 6-8 win year.

If ESU wins they should be able to turn 2-0 into 4-0 heading into the Northwest Game

Re: Apes vs. Bugs

Maybe it is hubris, but I think Pitt is gonna roll on this one.

Comment

ESU Offense is no joke. Pitt D will have to play great and the Pitt O will have to help them by eating clock. The play calling on O will need to take the biggest step, imo.

I like what Roderique said going into last week's game. Something to the effect of "If we lose it's because we just failed to execute." It puts the responsibility in the right hands.

Comment

And FFS, Stop with the double punter gimmick already.

Comment

While I agree the double punter thing is dumb, I did kind of like the time (or two?) when we lined up in it and then motioned Horak into a normal punt team member position. Kind of gave some indication to the rest of our guys as to what the punt return team was going to do.

I think the Pitt rushing offense will be the key to this game. It certainly was in last year's game. Scheurich and Kintchen seem to be good guys and they've put their time in with the program, but the carries need to go to Adkins, Horak and Brown, with Adkins being the feature guy. I'm also fine putting the ball in West's hands on the WR-motion option play, but I'd rather keep the jet sweeps to a minimum. I haven't gone back and re-watched last week's game yet, but watching it in the stadium, I think the UCO defense was pretty good and that our running game will be able to be really explosive against a lot of teams. In theory, ESU should be one of those teams (unless their D has improved a lot, which is impossible to tell against NSU). Pitt State needs to work in a few more first down throws just to be less predictable, but I think our 80-20 split of run vs pass should be about right in this game. There will be teams later in the season that will require more balance.

On the defensive side of the ball, I'm not sure what to expect, but I don't think we'll be able to dominate the way we did against UCO. Marstall and Nault are about as polar opposite as it gets in terms of experience as compared to the UCO guys that were out there and I don't think they'll be as unprepared for the speed of the defense. However, I also think our CBs are more likely to have fewer mental breakdowns in this game. While UCO was only able to meaningfully capitalize on one of them, we had three blown coverages that should've been TDs on Thursday--one overthrown ball led to an incompletion and one underthrown ball allowed Hornback to get over and make the play before any damage was done.

The Pitt State-ESU game last year was so weird with the weather that it's hard to know what to take away from it. Also, Rose is gone and he went absolutely bananas in this game last year. The 2015 and 2016 matchups between these two teams epitomized the shortcomings of Pitt State's secondary in those two seasons (although, the 2015 matchup was also a good showcase for how good Brent Wilson was) as ESU was basically able to go over the top any time they wanted to and then completely pick apart the secondary underneath when we would switch into overcompensation mode. Pitt State has changed a lot in that area since that time.

I look for a more competitive game for both teams than last week--Pitt State's game was not as competitive as the 14 point margin would suggest--but I think Pitt wins this one by playing keep away and nearly doubles ESU in TOP. 24-14, Gorillas.

Comment

Driving by ESU this weekend.. made me wonder something... Why is disc golf such a big deal there? I saw 3+ billboards for it, and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
              Driving by ESU this weekend.. made me wonder something... Why is disc golf such a big deal there? I saw 3+ billboards for it, and etc.
              They have one of the biggest disc golf tournaments in the country in Emporia (Glass Blown Open) also one of the biggest disc golf disc manufacturers is located there......... as to why that is IDK

Comment

It's early in the season to really know what each team has, so going from last year and the one game this year it ought to be fun to watch. Especially if you're a Gorilla fan! I think this defense will make it difficult for teams to run the ball, following through with the last half of last year. Last year in Emporia the Gorillas pretty much dominated both sides of the ball and handled the Hornets in an easy fashion. I look for this game to go in a similar fashion, rain and all. (hopefull though the game isn't called and played later on like last year)

Emporia has beaten the up start Gorillas 2 of the last 3 but in those 2 games the Gorillas had a weak pass defense and an offense that was 3 and out pass happy. Not last year and not this year. Physical play has returned to the land of King Kong and a bee without its stinger just isn't very scary. Plucked and broken will be the stinger of ESU as the up start Gorillas look to re-establish themselves as contenders in the MIAA. They still have a little ways to go to do that but a convincing win Thursday and more confidence is a nice start.

Pitt by double digits.

Comment

I'm cautiously optimistic about Pitt this season. I really think Dreiling and Lattimer are just getting started with this defense, and it will continue to improve,
                  but time will tell.

Not sure what to think of the bugs. They have a good qb who can run, and they will probably be good on offense.

The box score from last week is odd. Most of their scores came on short fields due to turnovers, bad decisions by nsu to go for it on 4th, etc... Not really sure there is much to be learned from that?

Comment

From what I saw of Pitt they look extremely athletic in the trenches. Coupled with their overall physical play and athleticism in the skill positions they are going to be a handful for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All I know is when the Bugs go into punt formation, someone needs to look to the Emporia sideline and make sure no one is hanging around still on the field. That trick play continues to make me sick years later. Dreiling is no fool, I don't see that kind of sh@t working.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla Guy View Post
                        All I know is when the Bugs go into punt formation, someone needs to look to the Emporia sideline and make sure no one is hanging around still on the field. That trick play continues to make me sick years later. Dreiling is no fool, I don't see that kind of sh@t working.
                        It wasn't a punt.

It was a field goal.:victory:

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
                          It wasn't a punt.

It was a field goal.:victory:
                          FOr some reason, I get an ad and can't see the last post in each page unless I quote it. Anyone else having this happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                            FOr some reason, I get an ad and can't see the last post in each page unless I quote it. Anyone else having this happen?
                            Try now...

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
                              Try now...
                              I will in a few. On tapatalk now.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X