Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does MSSU even Care?

Can someone give me any reason to think other then the student-athletes that anyone even cares about their football program.

Everything that is happening you could have easily predicted which makes me think that the MSSU adminstration does care about the program or the students. The students are the ones who have to endure an adminstration that doesnt care, a Head Coach who is lazy, and assistant coaches who could get a job anywhere else. Thoughts?

Re: Does MSSU even Care?

Originally posted by NewLionFan View Post
    Can someone give me any reason to think other then the student-athletes that anyone even cares about their football program.

Everything that is happening you could have easily predicted which makes me think that the MSSU adminstration does care about the program or the students. The students are the ones who have to endure an adminstration that doesnt care, a Head Coach who is lazy, and assistant coaches who could get a job anywhere else. Thoughts?
    I think they care, look at some of the facility improvements going in place. Add in in some other sports they've made pushes. The problem with football is, the MIAA is the worst conference in the country to try to build a program in. I don't think NW could build the program they have now if they were in Missouri Southerns shoes. Talent level is increased so much over all.

Comment

After the Lindenwood / Southern game last week, I have to admit I was pretty surprised by the backlash on social media towards the southern Lions. Facebook and Twitter both had several responses to the social media post of fans expressing their anger. I know that's not unusual in big d-1 football, but I've never seen it much at the D2 level. To me that shows that the passion exists at least somewhat within the community and likely within the program as well. Like J R said, look at the facility improvements they made. You don't do stuff like that if you don't care.
      Cool Story Bro

Comment

Yeah, I agree that it's a little tough to say they don't care right now. While I probably would've fired DJ last November if I was the MSSU AD, it's not like that was a slam dunk decision that they obviously muffed at the time.

It's been less than 5 years since MoSo wrapped up their best season in 20 years. 18 months later, the coach that got them there left them high and dry. At that point, they had to make a decision about which direction to go as a program, ie, trying to find a Daye clone who would keep the triple option and transfers approach he had built or go with someone else that would want to do something completely different--there can be endless questioning of the direction they went with that decision--but with the route they went, they had to know that 2015 and 2016 were going to be lost causes. Even then, 2016 seemed to be progress from 2015, so it seemed as though maybe the ship was being righted. 2017 was unquestionably a disappointment. So at that point, the AD last fall was faced with a choice of starting the rebuild all over right then after just one year that was actually a disappointment in a rational way of thinking, or giving DJ one more year to see if could make it work. Obviously, the early returns indicate that maybe he can't. But firing DJ last year and trying to hire a new coach with the program in the state it is AND the likely perception that the administration isn't going to give a new coach time to make it work, would've been a nightmare. They would've had a near 0% chance of landing a quality candidate--and then it becomes a really vicious cycle of how long do you keep around that low-quality candidate that they would've been forced to hire.

I'm guessing there will be a coaching change in Joplin in November/December. If there isn't, then the argument that the University doesn't care gets a whole lot stronger. But I do think the coaching search will go better with them having given DJ an additional year to try to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by NewLionFan View Post

Chin up! I still bet Mo So is better than 50+ other teams in D2. Unfortunately, with our scheduling as it is in the MIAA you don't have the opportunity to go out and play those teams. Breaking the silo scheduling would help not just the top teams know where they rank but give our bottom teams an opportunity to find equal footing as well. I'd prefer to see Mo So play OK Baptist instead of FHSU this year. I'd prefer NE OK play EC OK instead of NW Mo this year. It's not that I don't want Mo So or NEO in the MIAA, I do! but it would be nice to find wins for all teams.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
            Chin up! I still bet Mo So is better than 50+ other teams in D2. Unfortunately, with our scheduling as it is in the MIAA you don't have the opportunity to go out and play those teams. Breaking the silo scheduling would help not just the top teams know where they rank but give our bottom teams an opportunity to find equal footing as well. I'd prefer to see Mo So play OK Baptist instead of FHSU this year. I'd prefer NE OK play EC OK instead of NW Mo this year. It's not that I don't want Mo So or NEO in the MIAA, I do! but it would be nice to find wins for all teams.
            That makes absolutely no sense!

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
              That makes absolutely no sense!
              Northeastern Oklahoma is a bad team, East Central Oklahoma is likewise a bad team. I'd prefer two terrible bottom dwelling teams square off (that are regionally closer to each other as well) than to have our best teams, NW Mo, in this case travel 8 hours to win by 60. Nothing is really accomplished by this.

Of course since the season has started this is a dumb proposal; I was making a point about how the silo schedule as we all know is no fun, and it hurts our bottom teams as much as the top teams.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                After the Lindenwood / Southern game last week, I have to admit I was pretty surprised by the backlash on social media towards the southern Lions. Facebook and Twitter both had several responses to the social media post of fans expressing their anger. I know that's not unusual in big d-1 football, but I've never seen it much at the D2 level. To me that shows that the passion exists at least somewhat within the community and likely within the program as well. Like J R said, look at the facility improvements they made. You don't do stuff like that if you don't care.
                I agree with the facility improvements...if they didnt care those would have never been done. I think there are some people who have an understanding of what needs to be done to improve the football program, but I think there are some people that dont.

You can read in some of my previous posts that there are people who are still holding MSSU back, not only as a football program, but as a university all together.

The fundraising people obviously have it together...which I believe is run by Kevin Greim.

One person who doesnt have it together, is the AD....the dude needs to go. I dont see one hire that he has made from outside MSSU for one of the bigger sports that has been a success. I believe that he needs to go, and then they can also look for a new coach starting in November, you have to think that Denver has been given enough recruiting classes to make some progress in the program. It really seems as though there has been back pedaling.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X