Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

Originally posted by MSSU LIONS View Post
    and at some point......would like to get this thread back to where we all started.....Missouri Southern State University and their football program.
    If I was an MSSU football fan, I'd prefer to talk about the past.

You could mention the great triumphs of 1972 or 1993 and the general relevance of the program for much of the 1990s!

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
      That region with the MIAA, the NSIC and the NCC began in 1992. A lot of people forget this, but for 1989-1991, the region was the MIAA, the LSC and the Heartland/Midwest Conference. Pitt State played NDSU in the national semifinals in 1990. The in-region matchups for 1989-91 for Pitt State were: NW, Angelo State, Butler, East Texas State (now Commerce) and Truman.

It was sometime in the mid- to late-1980s when D2 expanded the field from 8 to 16. I think the 1984 season was still an 8 team field, so it would've in essence been the top 2 teams in the region, although I don't think they used regions in the 8 team PO field era, they just chose the best 8 teams. (I know, what a novel concept.)

Edit: I believe the pre-1992 region system had the NCC and the RMAC going west to face whatever conference used to have Portland State and UC-Davis in it. Great West Conf. maybe?
      I did forget all about that!

Great post. That Rams team made us look small.

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
        I did forget all about that!

Great post. That Rams team made us look small.
        That Angelo State team could have been the St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams for all I know. They were big and fast; definitely passed the eye test.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X