X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSU coaching change ---

I know this is not much of a surprise, but it is official:

https://goriverhawksgo.com/news/2018...-robinson.aspx

Let the rampant speculation begin again...

At least we know there will be no renewal.

Re: NSU coaching change ---

Well it's a shame. Seems like a good guy just got if to a rough start and never could get any momentum. I hope he lands somewhere good.

At least this time they can get a guy in place as soon as season ends and not December. That way he can make some headway in recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
      Well it's a shame. Seems like a good guy just got if to a rough start and never could get any momentum. I hope he lands somewhere good.

At least this time they can get a guy in place as soon as season ends and not December. That way he can make some headway in recruiting.
      Come back to WU!! And bring Simoneau with you

Comment

Announcing he's gone after the season and still requiring him to coach the last two games? What's the point? Could they not have just let Robinson and his staff know privately and then announced it after the last game?

NSU already isn't going to attract the best candidates D2 has to offer. This announcement, especially when combined with the last coach being fired on the field following the last game, isn't going to do them any favors in the recruitment world.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
          Announcing he's gone after the season and still requiring him to coach the last two games? What's the point? Could they not have just let Robinson and his staff know privately and then announced it after the last game?

NSU already isn't going to attract the best candidates D2 has to offer. This announcement, especially when combined with the last coach being fired on the field following the last game, isn't going to do them any favors in the recruitment world.
          Great analysis.

Comment

I can't argue with that analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
              I can't argue with that analysis.
              Yes it's unfortunate. It doesn't help. This is why, in my opinion.........

Any coach that was going to apply was already aware that the separation might happen. They were already preparing their package to send to NSU to apply for the job when the announcement was made. But now, a certain percentage of the coaches that might have applied won't because of the way it was handled.

It also won't inspire some qualified individual to apply. Some guy who somehow didn't know about the potential opening is not going to suddenly apply when he knows he might be dismissed before the end of the season and expected to coach the team for a few more weeks.

The only people that can benefit from this are Rob Robinson and his staff. By staying classy, coaching the kids hard and with honor, they can set themselves up for their next jobs and even their next head coaching jobs. Coaches get fired. There is nothing embarrassing about that. How they handle it can be a feather in their caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                Yes it's unfortunate. It doesn't help. This is why, in my opinion.........

Any coach that was going to apply was already aware that the separation might happen. They were already preparing their package to send to NSU to apply for the job when the announcement was made. But now, a certain percentage of the coaches that might have applied won't because of the way it was handled.

It also won't inspire some qualified individual to apply. Some guy who somehow didn't know about the potential opening is not going to suddenly apply when he knows he might be dismissed before the end of the season and expected to coach the team for a few more weeks.

The only people that can benefit from this are Rob Robinson and his staff. By staying classy, coaching the kids hard and with honor, they can set themselves up for their next jobs and even their next head coaching jobs. Coaches get fired. There is nothing embarrassing about that. How they handle it can be a feather in their caps.
                Totally agree with you. I was fortunate to be an assistant coach when Rob was a junior and senior in high school. That's a tough young man. I'm proud to know him and call him a friend. I'm still an assistant coach at a different high school all these years later, and I'd absolutely support any of my kids wanting to play for him because I know his character and qualities as a very, very good man. I wish the best for him and his family, his staff and their families. Hard time for them now, I feel for them.
                Northwest Missouri State University
                BEARCATS

Comment

WHAT. That's about the worst look they could give.

Comment

I don't know; coaches are a different breed of person, they all think they can take the worst situation and make it gold.

If a coach was going to apply and worried about how they might get fired at some point; then their application isn't worth the paper it's submitted on. In other words; why would you apply for a job in the back of your mind thinking 'oh i don't want to get fired in 3 years with games left on the schedule' you had better be thinking 'I'm never getting fired so who gives two cents how the previous (bum) coach was fired'.

Comment

I'll forward this to the MU staff.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                        I don't know; coaches are a different breed of person, they all think they can take the worst situation and make it gold.

If a coach was going to apply and worried about how they might get fired at some point; then their application isn't worth the paper it's submitted on. In other words; why would you apply for a job in the back of your mind thinking 'oh i don't want to get fired in 3 years with games left on the schedule' you had better be thinking 'I'm never getting fired so who gives two cents how the previous (bum) coach was fired'.
                        I don't think the coach would be thinking in those specific terms. Think of it this way: NSU and MSSU ought to have more or less the same pool of coaching candidates--both public schools, geographic similarity and conference is the same, state of the programs are more or less the same. MSSU just had DJ walk out the door with his head held as high as possible, considering the awful product on the field. RR has to coach two games with his tail between his legs. All other things being essentially equal, which of those two scenarios would anyone prefer? Any rational person would prefer MoSo.

Comment

I don't think the coach would be thinking in those specific terms. Think of it this way: NSU and MSSU ought to have more or less the same pool of coaching candidates--both public schools, geographic similarity and conference is the same, state of the programs are more or less the same. MSSU just had DJ walk out the door with his head held as high as possible, considering the awful product on the field. RR has to coach two games with his tail between his legs. All other things being essentially equal, which of those two scenarios would anyone prefer? Any rational person would prefer MoSo.
                          I wouldn't think of it as "I might get fired" I would think of it more like "That company (school in this case) has proven to be pretty unprofessional with their employees in the past" Knowing that, do I really want to work for them over school B who seems to at least have their Shyte together.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post

I think it's not about worried about getting fired, but more about the culture or the operating procedure they would have to work in.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                              I think it's not about worried about getting fired, but more about the culture or the operating procedure they would have to work in.
                              Exactly.

However, NSU will hire someone and that someone will have to work in the culture/conditions that the Administration provides. The new hire will fully understand that situation (or so they should before accepting the job). In the end, the new coach will be judged based on how well the team performs, the same criteria used for the previous coach(es).

And, I'll bet, the new hire will FULLY believe that he can turn the program in the right direction...

UPDATE

https://goriverhawksgo.com/news/2018...ead-coach.aspx

Looks like Rob Messinger will be the interim Head Coach.
                              Last edited by Bytor; 10-31-2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X