Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

So you're imagining a scenario where Pitt State and NW don't play a conference game, but schedule each other as an OOC opponent? Wouldn't that undermine much of the appeal of OOC games?
    I'm saying that is how the GSC kept their rivalry games going when the teams weren't scheduled during the regular season. It's also an option if say two conference teams are too lazy and can't find opponents on one of their OOC weeks.
    Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

I'd be open to not playing MOSO every year. The "coal bucket" isn't that appealing.
      The coal bucket is Pittsburg High and Columbus High

Comment

As a Pitt fan, playing Haskell and Oklahoma Panhandle wasn't all that exciting. If given the chance I wonder if Beck would schedule better than Chuck used to.

Comment

So you're imagining a scenario where Pitt State and NW don't play a conference game, but schedule each other as an OOC opponent? Wouldn't that undermine much of the appeal of OOC games?
          Happens all the time in the D2 world.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
            Having said that, I find it hard to believe that travel expenses haven't been reduced or at least neutral since the change to the silo schedule. We've got more in-conference road games that are overnight trips than we used to, but we went considerably further for non-con games back in the day. Before the silo schedule, Missouri Western had non-con road games in (off the top of my head) Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, Winona, Durant, Oklahoma, Grand Junction, Colorado, Vermillion and Aberdeen, South Dakota.
            I don't know if that's true. Unless we are shown the books comparing pre/post expansion it's hard to speculate.

But let's just look at football.

If Missouri Western played Southwestern Oklahoma.
            458/6:38
            If Missouri Western played Central Oklahoma
            376/5:26
            If Missouri Western played Northeastern State
            328 / 5:06

The only real difference between those two games is the cost of diesel. It would be a drive down on Friday. One overnight. Drive back after the game. There might be more meal costs since it's a little longer. I think we could call that a wash.

I was looking at your schedule since 2000 (Great job by MWSU Sports Info to have these online).
            oad games:

at Fort Hays
            (a wash now)
            at Southeastern Oklahoma
            449 / 7:11
            at South Dakota
            266 / 3:54
            at Winona State
            424 / 6:15
            at St. Cloud State
            424 / 6:12
            at Central Oklahoma
            (a wash now)
            at Minnesota Duluth
            570 / 8:18
            at Northern State
            514 / 7:27
            at Colorado Mesa
            881 / 12:35

On a side note. We both know that travel savings were simply a tertiary reason at best. It was more likely something that was thought of as a reason after they had decided what they thought needed to be done. The conference expanded at the same time that Division I conferences had grown very large. UMR had left and the conference was worried about stability. They wanted to grow so large that they could absorb defections.

Comment

It happens a lot. I think having the choice is better. Heck, they could do a neutral-and-neutral at Arrowhead. Ha Ha Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

The coal bucket is Pittsburg High and Columbus High

Comment

Comment

A lot of questio on podw make up would be the teams added tbh
                    football is not the teal costs on travel it's the other sports that play more than once a week

I was working in a restaurant in the Quah once when east new Mexico came in to play baskebaske on a Thursday . They then faced an 14 hour trip back that nite
                    Point being .we are all telsti let close in miaa compare to other conference s .

But the current structure isn't helping the conference win po games and isn't the best for finances. Tofay it's nsu to unk prob worst trip in league.

Comment

Sorry didn't get to edit

But To continue. I don't see it as a problem the travel. I think the pounding the teams take wears them down and hurts them in po.

Those on bottom are stuck in bottom. Only way is to beat other bottom teams or leave and find success in glvc. No non con games hurts the weaker teams and doesn't help stronger. Instead if playing weaker tesms wouldn't a trip to a power in another conf will boost po standings

Sec with thier weak non conf gets teams to 6 wins which makes league look strong when everybody has 5 or more wins give pereception that sec is better

Comment

Comment

No.i am under no delusions that it will take years if ever that nsu makes the po.

Each member in this conf has different goals . And the present situation doesn't really help anyone except some people's need to win a conf championship.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                            No.i am under no delusions that it will take years if ever that nsu makes the po.

Each member in this conf has different goals . And the present situation doesn't really help anyone except some people's need to win a conf championship.
                            Even the championship is passed around among the few lol :(

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I don't know if that's true. Unless we are shown the books comparing pre/post expansion it's hard to speculate.

But let's just look at football.

If Missouri Western played Southwestern Oklahoma.
                              458/6:38
                              If Missouri Western played Central Oklahoma
                              376/5:26
                              If Missouri Western played Northeastern State
                              328 / 5:06

The only real difference between those two games is the cost of diesel. It would be a drive down on Friday. One overnight. Drive back after the game. There might be more meal costs since it's a little longer. I think we could call that a wash.

I was looking at your schedule since 2000 (Great job by MWSU Sports Info to have these online).
                              oad games:

at Fort Hays
                              (a wash now)
                              at Southeastern Oklahoma
                              449 / 7:11
                              at South Dakota
                              266 / 3:54
                              at Winona State
                              424 / 6:15
                              at St. Cloud State
                              424 / 6:12
                              at Central Oklahoma
                              (a wash now)
                              at Minnesota Duluth
                              570 / 8:18
                              at Northern State
                              514 / 7:27
                              at Colorado Mesa
                              881 / 12:35

On a side note. We both know that travel savings were simply a tertiary reason at best. It was more likely something that was thought of as a reason after they had decided what they thought needed to be done. The conference expanded at the same time that Division I conferences had grown very large. UMR had left and the conference was worried about stability. They wanted to grow so large that they could absorb defections.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                                This is pretty much correct. I sat on the Bearcat Booster Club board at the time all this was shaking out. Budget concerns were the main worry at the time. Just not athletic budget but for the entire University. Boerigter was in favor of conference expansion to control costs, not just for NW, but the entire conference. People have to remember that Missouri and other states were under siege to budget woes for higher education at the time just like they are now. Secondly, he wanted an even playing field in terms of scheduling. It was becoming increasingly difficult for the powers in the conference at the time to schedule quality non-conference games at home without having to pay the opponent a bunch of money. NW had no problems scheduling road games, but nobody wanted to come to NW except the Minnesota St. Moorheads of the world to receive a check. And yes, he was in favor of expansion to absorb potential defections. Conference expansion and the pod system would've worked because it would've fit the PO criteria system at that time. Conferences now are much better aligned in terms of region and it's time for the MIAA, the GLIAC, the GAC and the GLVC to create a "pod" system of non-conference games.

Go Hounds!
                                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                                Cyclone Power
                                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X