Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I recognize the weakness of comparing seven games to 15 games but it's all we have, especially because it allowed me an opening to explain just how much those all-time great type of defenses were helping the offense.
    You're telling me BW's comp.% is where it is because he isn't playing with the '15 and '16 defenses?

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post

You're telling me BW's comp.% is where it is because he isn't playing with the '15 and '16 defenses?
      Oh not at all. I'm saying that the 15/16 offensive performances were greatly helped by a defense that returned the ball to the offense so quickly.

In those days, AD's motto on every offensive possession was to end in a kick - PAT, FG, or Punt. Which essentially just meant not to turn the ball over and give teams easy scores because of great field position.

That's how great those defenses were. They were all-time greats. That level of defense should not have to be the expectation every year.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBearcat View Post

It's no secret the quality of our line play on both sides had dropped dramatically too. Obviously replaced a lot of defense, but this team is getting pushed around, and getting no push on offense.
        You are remembering the '15 and '16 OLs for something they were not. There was a coach that schemed for them just a tad to cover up inadequacies. This group doesn't have that luxury and is holding up just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

The 2016 season was a great one for Northwest, but the offensive "juggernauts" owed a lot of their success to the defense. PSR used to say it all the time but no one would listen. He was correct.
          2015 Northwest Opponent
          Yards Per Play 5.8 3.6
          Passing Yards 286.9 164.7
          Rushing Yards 152.8 59.3
          3rd Down Conv. 47% 24%
          Play % 54% -
          2016 Northwest Opponent
          Yards Per Play 6.5 3.8.
          Passing Yards 282.6 173.2
          Rushing Yards 188.5 67.7
          3rd Down Conv. 49% 27%
          Play % 53% -
          2019 Northwest Opponent
          Yards Per Play 6.3 4.6
          Passing Yards 213.1 250.7
          Rushing Yards 215.7 97.3
          3rd Down Conv. 34% 37%
          Play % 47% -
          x
          Those offenses got to run more plays because, at Catz54 said, the defense got the ball back to the offense in short order. This year the offense is running fewer plays than either of those years because the defense does not get it back as quickly.
          I just don't see how efficiency comes down to how quickly a defense gets you the ball back. Volume. Sure. I don't see the offense's/Wright's comp.%/efficiency getting better because he gets the ball more. The 2014 O was coupled with a great defense but no receiving threats and the 2014 O will be remembered as poor. So it's not automatically about getting the ball back. This year's O has been staying afloat due to the numerous long pass (and run) plays that have been completed and mostly going for TDs. This year's YPP falls under the old adage of why ypc is an inferior stat to reference. Maybe that is picking and choosing here. But the reliance on big plays in the passing game is a double edged sword. Yes, dynamic which is what you want but when the big plays aren't coming it looks like a tire fire.

Comment

When I go to the games I usually see Mel on the field between where the team stands and the goal line. Guess he doesn't want to be in the stands with all the experts. Sometimes he is by himself or standing with one other person. I always wonder what he is thinking as he watches the game. Is he thinking I would have done this or that? Is he calling plays and defenses in his head. I'm guessing he would not offer suggestions to the coaches unless asked first. Just wondered if they ever pick his brain.

Comment

I just don't see how efficiency comes down to how quickly a defense gets you the ball back. Volume. Sure. I don't see the offense's/Wright's comp.%/efficiency getting better because he gets the ball more. The 2014 O was coupled with a great defense but no receiving threats and the 2014 O will be remembered as poor. So it's not automatically about getting the ball back. This year's O has been staying afloat due to the numerous long pass (and run) plays that have been completed and mostly going for TDs. This year's YPP falls under the old adage of why ypc is an inferior stat to reference. Maybe that is picking and choosing here. But the reliance on big plays in the passing game is a double edged sword. Yes, dynamic which is what you want but when the big plays aren't coming it looks like a tire fire.
              I'm not saying that at all. I don't understand why you're reading that into it. I'm really talking about how people romanticize the 2015 (especially this one) and 2016 offenses.

1. Those offenses were good but got more opportunities because of the defense, making them appear better than they really were without a deep dive into the statistics.
              2. Those defenses performed at an all-time great level, especially compared against the offensive trends in football.
              3. A team can't expect one side, every year, to perform at "all-time great" levels in order to have sustained success.
              4. That means the program should be able to rely on the other side of the ball once in a while to make a championship run.

As far as the 2019 offense goes, I think the third down percentage is the biggest indicator its success versus the other years.

Comment

Originally posted by MEAN GREEN MACHINE View Post
                When I go to the games I usually see Mel on the field between where the team stands and the goal line. Guess he doesn't want to be in the stands with all the experts. Sometimes he is by himself or standing with one other person. I always wonder what he is thinking as he watches the game. Is he thinking I would have done this or that? Is he calling plays and defenses in his head. I'm guessing he would not offer suggestions to the coaches unless asked first. Just wondered if they ever pick his brain.
                Officials couldn't get him off the field for 16 years. You think someone's going to get him off the sideline in nine? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by MEAN GREEN MACHINE View Post
                  He is there just for the Jedi Mind Tricks. Really plays havoc with opposing teams.

Comment

You are remembering the '15 and '16 OLs for something they were not. There was a coach that schemed for them just a tad to cover up inadequacies. This group doesn't have that luxury and is holding up just as well.
                    I mean they weren't elite level like we had a decade ago, but Sherman (stud), Thieman, Shane Smith (stud), Huff/Kempf were pretty good, Flott (eventual stud). We weren't putting scrubs out there.

I'm not arguing we didn't scheme better for some of them, but they were still plenty talented. OL only allowed 12 sacks in 2016. That's insane with 561 pass attempts. Is 12 historically good?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X