Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAA issues

So with Ouachita swamping UIndy, and NWMSU losing to Ferris, what can we determine is the current state of the MIAA? Is SILO not only hurting us with getting teams into the playoffs, but also leads to issues within the playoffs? At this point going 3-0 in the bowl games will do little to rehabilitate the MIAA's image.
    Go Bronchos!

Re: MIAA issues

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
    So with Ouachita swamping UIndy, and NWMSU losing to Ferris, what can we determine is the current state of the MIAA? Is SILO not only hurting us with getting teams into the playoffs, but also leads to issues within the playoffs? At this point going 3-0 in the bowl games will do little to rehabilitate the MIAA's image.
    Conf was full of pretty young talented QBs, that'll improve. Hard for freshman to win playoff games. Lineplay particularly DT needs to improve. See what Ferris Oline did to the MIAA the last two years. Oline play as a whole in the conf is not good, very passive stuff.

And that pretty much explains it, MIAA has always been won with a consistent QB and a solid OL and a disruptive DL, nobody had those this year. A batch of QBs look promising in the future, Line play needs developing

Comment

Scheduling is definitely an issue. It's undeniable.

Comment

Starts with decline in line play for sure. MIAA used to field AA's on both sides of the ball and I believe the numbers have dropped off while teams like Ferris keep fielding more. Correct me if I am wrong Brandon, tried finding old lists from D2 but had to rely on outside sources.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
            Scheduling is definitely an issue. It's undeniable.
            The GNAC could help in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
              Is SILO not only hurting us with getting teams into the playoffs, but also leads to issues within the playoffs?
              Obviously it's not, since 2014 the MIAA has gotten, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2 teams in the playoffs. There is of course in addiction a difference in hurting yourself and being enabled to continue to be hurt by that something. The selection committee is basically enabling conferences to ignore anything but stay in a silo schedule because none of the conferences in silo only conferences have been hurt by being left out of the regionals. Well the GAC might be able to say they are hurt but the two years they didn't get 2 teams in the playoffs (2015, 2016) the NSIC and MIAA got a third team, so a silo conference was 'hurt' by another silo conference. That's not really the committee sending a message about silo scheduling. In fact the committee seems set on 2-2-2-1 playoff structure which is probably never going to hurt the MIAA.

I get that the playoffs are the ultimate judge and the last few seasons haven't produce much worthy of the MIAA to talk about but I don't know if it means much long term, it's not like the difference in pools in D2 are that much different. Since silo scheduling Pitt St., Emporia and NW Mo have won playoff games and NW Mo has a national title to boot. And if not for the forced ESU vs NW Mo games in the playoffs maybe recent history we show two teams winning even more.

Probably the unspoken change that has happened the last couple years that is really causing the MIAA heartburn is that the NSIC isn't in the region and GLIAC is.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                Obviously it's not, since 2014 the MIAA has gotten, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2 teams in the playoffs. There is of course in addiction a difference in hurting yourself and being enabled to continue to be hurt by that something. The selection committee is basically enabling conferences to ignore anything but stay in a silo schedule because none of the conferences in silo only conferences have been hurt by being left out of the regionals. Well the GAC might be able to say they are hurt but the two years they didn't get 2 teams in the playoffs (2015, 2016) the NSIC and MIAA got a third team, so a silo conference was 'hurt' by another silo conference. That's not really the committee sending a message about silo scheduling. In fact the committee seems set on 2-2-2-1 playoff structure which is probably never going to hurt the MIAA.

I get that the playoffs are the ultimate judge and the last few seasons haven't produce much worthy of the MIAA to talk about but I don't know if it means much long term, it's not like the difference in pools in D2 are that much different. Since silo scheduling Pitt St., Emporia and NW Mo have won playoff games and NW Mo has a national title to boot. And if not for the forced ESU vs NW Mo games in the playoffs maybe recent history we show two teams winning even more.

Probably the unspoken change that has happened the last couple years that is really causing the MIAA heartburn is that the NSIC isn't in the region and GLIAC is.
                I totally disagree. Will try to address it point by point.

It doesn't matter how many teams are getting in. We're talking about the quality of the teams. Those of us who have been around awhile see it.

I don't believe the MIAA teams, at least at the top, are hurting each other. In fact, I think they're getting weaker. Forcing top teams to play lower teams rather than finding tough out of conference opponents not only doesn't give top teams a way to measure where they are nationally, it doesn't provide a challenge to

Again, it doesn't matter how many teams are getting in when one loses to Indianapolis and the other is physically dominated by Ferris (legit national contender). The year before, those same two teams lost to an average Ashland team and Ferris (legit national contender).

In the past, Northwest and Pitt have been national champions in addition to finishing second. But at the same time, teams like Central Missouri or Missouri Western or Washburn made some good playoffs runs. Other times, MIAA teams that missed the playoffs were judged (by me sometimes) to have been as good or better than teams in the playoffs. Now, the MIAA's best are having playoff runs more like what the third best used to have.

I don't know what to think about MIAA v. GLIAC. The NSIC did have a team make the championship game when paired with the MIAA.

Comment

Comment

To be clear , I hate the silo crap, but blaming silo scheduling is lazy, imo. The NSIC and GAC have had national contenders with the same set up.
                    Right now the top teams are down. That has to be fixed within the individual programs, regardless of how many non cons are, or are not, on the schedule. The conference had about 4 teams on roughly the same level with similar inconsistency, which as Brandon said was about good enough to be 3rd best in better years.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      To be clear , I hate the silo crap, but blaming silo scheduling is lazy, imo. The NSIC and GAC have had national contenders with the same set up.
                      Right now the top teams are down. That has to be fixed within the individual programs, regardless of how many non cons are, or are not, on the schedule. The conference had about 4 teams on roughly the same level with similar inconsistency, which as Brandon said was about good enough to be 3rd best in better years.
                      The MIAA doesn't recruit to contend with the LSC's, NSIC's, the GLIAC's and GSC's of the world anymore because we don't play them anymore. The MIAA recruits to win the MIAA. If you don't win the MIAA, your chances of getting into the PO's start to diminish fairly significantly IMO. The MIAA doesn't carry the same weight it used to because of silo scheduling and the quality of the programs has gone down with the silo scheduling. I think it's more than coincidence.
                      Last edited by CatFan88; 11-25-2018, 09:23 AM.
                      Go Hounds!
                      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                      Cyclone Power
                      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                        The MIAA doesn't recruit to contend with the LSC's, NSIC's, the GLIAC's and GSC's of the world anymore because we don't play them anymore. The MIAA recruits to win the MIAA. If you don't win the MIAA, your chances of getting into the PO's start to diminish fairly significantly IMO. The MIAA doesn't carry the same weight it used to because of silo scheduling and the quality of the programs has gone down with the silo scheduling. I think it's more than coincidence.
                        you're right. they recruit to contend within the SEC of D2. I personally heard that at all 4 of the MIAA programs mine was recruited to. if kids are hearing this every single time they are being talked to by a coach, they start living it. they start hearing and comparing the national talk on ESPN about the SEC being the best conference and the next best is a distant second. kids start walking onto a field thinking they can just show up and win the thing. see SEP 22 Edmond Oklahoma vs NW also SEP 6 vs Neb both of the LOSERS in those games had very little "juice" (for lack of a better term) entering the stadium. even as the game went on, there seemed to be no sense of urgency until it was too late. after the NW vs UCO game, NW seemed to take the loss personally (which they should have) and ran the table until the hays game.

same thing happened with the Kearney vs UCO game. chos decided they weren't going to be able to just walk into a place and because THEY think they are better than someone, sleep walk through the game. the hays game, the injuries that had been piling up showed. but, imo because they showed up and played like they were supposed to, the MID tier team (as hookem alluded to us being) gave hays all they wanted and more. I personally think hays thought they were the men and carried themselves like they could do what they wanted when they wanted and the score showed it. outside of the hays game, the chos played pissed off and motivated to prove themselves.

I think what jenni Carlson said in another thread is absolutely true. the style of the MIAA is different than most of the rest of d2. our olines (at least UCOs) don't have a straight up power, run through your face type of attack. and the dlines seem to be more of a clog the line of scrimmage type of attack to counter the oline trying to "seal" lanes. does that make us less than the rest of the country? id say no. Oklahoma cant play defense. no secret by now but, can you stop them? can too many teams beat the top 4 in the big XII? so it just so happens that NW and hays weren't the best teams on the field but, were they whipped or did the "better than you because we are the SEC of d2" attitudes show up and the coaches did nothing about it?

didn't watch either game but the hays game was lost because of them. what did they have? something like 16 personal fouls? just stupid in the playoffs ON THE ROAD. you need to be on your best behavior because you will NOT get the benefit of the doubt. almost every NW fan said the boys looked flat and just got outhustled, outhit and dominated on the line. both scenarios are coaching. not that ANYONE on here knows everything behind the scenes but, in 15+ years of coaching ive always said it and always heard it.....what you see on the field, is what you have allowed and condoned.
                        Last edited by jimbo slice; 11-25-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                          That's a cop out. NW has only NW to blame for their problems. The same could be said for every other team.

Comment

At least we can stop saying the MIAA is the SEC of Division II ... The SEC wins championships ...

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                              This.

If silo scheduling is so bad how do you explain NW winning three national titles during the silo scheduling era? How did Minnesota State make it the national title game playing a silo schedule? How did Ouachita Baptist (playing a silo schedule) beat Indy (who played a tough non-conference the last two years) in this year's playoffs?

When Pitt State won the 2011 title their non-conference game was William Jewell who finished the year 4-6. Not exactly a powerhouse that helped prepare them for the rigors of the playoffs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X