Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What on earth is going on at NSU?

I haven't paid attention to MIAA football at all until this year, because I finally finished up my playing career at SWOSU. But can someone please tell me how NSU is that bad? I just don't understand. It genuinely floors me to know that there is a college football team with college athletes that are losing football games this badly.

Originally posted by BulldogLB View Post
    I haven't paid attention to MIAA football at all until this year, because I finally finished up my playing career at SWOSU. But can someone please tell me how NSU is that bad? I just don't understand. It genuinely floors me to know that there is a college football team with college athletes that are losing football games this badly.
    That's a very good question. To an outsider such as myself, it looks like recruiting has been really, really poor for the past 6 or 7 years. Combine that with a league that has some extremely good offenses, and it's just a mis-match every single week. I think that this NSU team might very well be the poorest team ever fielded in the MIAA. There have been winless teams before, sure....but as you alluded to...the margins are mind-boggling. I genuinely feel bad for their guys...it's not competitive, it doesn't really appear to make their opponents better....just sad. They used to have some good teams back in the day but there's probably a lot more local stuff that I'm unaware of that's contributing to their relative lack of talent. I can think of *several* NAIA and D3 teams that would roll them. I hope they get things turned around for the sake of their fans and players and the entire school, it's gotta be a real downer.
    Northwest Missouri State University
    BEARCATS

Comment

Originally posted by BEARCAT View Post

That's a very good question. To an outsider such as myself, it looks like recruiting has been really, really poor for the past 6 or 7 years. Combine that with a league that has some extremely good offenses, and it's just a mis-match every single week. I think that this NSU team might very well be the poorest team ever fielded in the MIAA. There have been winless teams before, sure....but as you alluded to...the margins are mind-boggling. I genuinely feel bad for their guys...it's not competitive, it doesn't really appear to make their opponents better....just sad. They used to have some good teams back in the day but there's probably a lot more local stuff that I'm unaware of that's contributing to their relative lack of talent. I can think of *several* NAIA and D3 teams that would roll them. I hope they get things turned around for the sake of their fans and players and the entire school, it's gotta be a real downer.

Comment

Just an institutional refusal to compete. They fire coaches for not performing but refuse to help new staffs catch up. They would be better served in a different conference.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
          Just an institutional refusal to compete. They fire coaches for not performing but refuse to help new staffs catch up. They would be better served in a different conference.
          They would be better served in a different classification. Is there still a Sooner Athletic Conference in NAIA?

Comment

It goes back to the old adage that Memphis State used....If you are not going to invest in your program.....DUMP IT

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
              middle of the road glvc team?

Comment

I remember 2012 when NSU joined the MIAA.

The season opener for us was in Tallequah. Mind you, this was the first game after our national championship. Riverhawks held our rushing to less than a hundred yards, IIRC.
                NSU had a monster o-lineman from OU or OSU? that year. Scuttlebutt around Pittsburg was that one of our star d-lineman would abuse him. That big dude owned/blocked our guy one on one the entire game - without so much as losing the ash from his cigarette. Oh yeah, we won that game, but not by a lot. And I think the Riverhawk coach got fired after the season.

My point in all this? I think NSU was a better team when they joined the league.

Comment

Correction. NSU held us to less than 200 yards rushing that game.
                  (200 yards was the mythical barrier that once decided if we would win or lose)

Comment

Did FH go for the 2-point conversion to make it 91 or was there an unusual circumstance?

Comment

Maybe he NCAA could step in, find that they have some serious violations or just make some up and give them the death penalty.

Comment

Its combination of factors the Robinson era poorly with some pork reading choices and some students failing to take care of grades the current roster is dominated by freshman redshirt freshman and a bunch of beat down seniors. They have redshirted over 20 players for next season as season worr on a lot of those seniors broke down physically. But the seniors do like the new staff have been treated fairly .

Yes we came into the league with Avery good team on the field but but the people were very bad off the field.

Games are bad tickets are not sold. revenue is poor .

that's what that meeting in Tulsa was two years ago it wasn't about leaving the conference as much it was about raising revenue it is hard to compete in the state against the b-2 State flagship institutions. none of the Oklahoma State schools are doing particularly well in football and they all did well in the 90s. Consequently at the same time at OU and OSU were doing poorly.

Do not underestimate the Gary Higgins factor. His time in Northwest Oklahoma . And the success they have athletic coaches all over the state and they are funneling their students toward emporia the roster with 30 Oklahoma kids.

But the school is taking the long-term approach to rebuilding instead of the quick fix. But the weight of the MIAA schedule it's so hard to get off the bottom so it'll take a few years to show improvement. But next year will be better if they're more competitive but they are not this year and that's just fact

They'll probably lose some people to attrition. But with a full year of recruitment Eckerd will have a better shot at bringing some people in.

Comment

To an outsider such as myself, it looks like recruiting has been really, really poor for the past 6 or 7 years.
                          Recruiting hasn't been that bad, but RETAINING has been impossible. The previous head coach would recruit good players and get rid of them before they could become upper classmen. Look back (if you are interested) and see how many of the players were recruited and played until graduation. Less than 10%...

I think that this NSU team might very well be the poorest team ever fielded in the MIAA. There have been winless teams before, sure....but as you alluded to...the margins are mind-boggling. .
                          Not just in the MIAA, but in the ENTIRE D2 classification. Check the D2 statistics and they are last in total defense giving up 50 more yards per game than the second lowest team. Historically bad...

Comment

0-11.

Scores of their last four games-
                            86-7
                            79-0
                            82-14
                            91-7

Ouch.

Comment

This year, they were the worst d2 team I've ever seen. They really do need some help. The coach is in his first year, so maybe they'll improve year to year under him

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X