Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emporia State in Corsicana Bowl/Marstall Harlon Hill finalist

Hornets are making their fifth trip to the post season (three playoffs, two bowls) in the last seven years. Probably shoulda had a bowl game last year as well but I digress. Emporia State will take on Ark.-Monticello on Saturday.

ESU finished regular season 7-4 and won five of their last six...were tied or led in the fourth quarter of three of the losses...had four wins that they were tied or trailed at some point after halftime...twice they came back from double digit deficits (UNK and FHSU)...could have been anywhere from 10-1 to 3-8 very easily.

UAM is 6-5 and also won five of their last six...the Boll Weevils are making their first postseason appearance in 25 years...they only led in the second half of one of their losses...they only came from behind in one of their wins...using the same "logic" I had with ESU, they could have been anywhere from 7-4 to 5-6.

The Hornets averaged 29.3 points and 422.5 yards per game on offense while giving up 26.8 points and 418.8 yards on defense.
    The Boll Weevils averaged 25.8 points and 384.1 yards per game on offense while giving up 28.0 points and 358.5 yards on defense.

ESU was 1-1 against teams that made the playoffs and were 1-1 against bowl teams.
    UAM was 0-2 against teams that made the playoffs and went 1-0 against a bowl team (although they effectively knocked that team out of the playoffs).

For individual stuff Braxton Marstall is a finalist for the Harlon Hill Trophy. I'm obviously biased but I think he could be a top five finisher. I don't know if any of the others had as many fourth quarter comebacks as Braxton did.

Re: Emporia State in Corsicana Bowl/Marstall Harlon Hill finalist

If you're in Overland Park on Saturday and interested in watching the game - ESU is having a watch party at Johnny's on 119th hosted by former Hornet and KC Chief John Lohmeyer.

Comment

Comment

Good luck

Comment

es win....probl pretty close game. first one to 30ish.
          Go Bearcats!
          M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Corsicana has been pretty cool so far. Went by the stadium today and it's look nice. Downtown area cool. Looks like both teams had a good time interacting with the local schools.
            Now I'm just ready for game day.

Comment

You were pretty close
              Esu 30
              ARK(idk there abbrev) 22

Comment

Great way for Marstall to end his ESU career. 22 of 30 for 315 yards, five TD, and added 21 yards on the ground.
                He's now second in career total offense to Eric Czerniewski in MIAA history with 11,156 yards. He's also got the Emporia State career records in passing yards (9918) and passing TD (87).
                He finished this year with 3,049 passing yards while Landon Nault finished up with 1,008 rushing yards - it's the first time in ESU history they've had a 3000 yard passer and a 1000 yard rusher in the same season.

The game itself was a little chippy throughout. There were like unsportsmanlike and two personal fouls called.

The most amazing thing to me might be that midway through the fourth quarter ESU was had not converted a third down or forced a turnover while UAM was four of four on fourth down conversions and held the ball for 32:09 compared to 20:19 for ESU but the Hornets were leading 30-22.

There's going to be a lot to replace on the offensive side of the ball but I know the coaches really like Dalton Cowan (who backed up Marstall this year and had a 54 yard TD pass during the comeback against FHSU) and true freshman Braden Gleason. And like Ian said in his column, ESU has had great success in developing QBs over the last decade.
                The encouraging thing is that almost the entire defense is coming back. Jace McDown led the MIAA in total tackles and forced fumbles, Parker Bass led the league in fumble recoveries and was second in sacks. Kyle Rinck was second in the MIAA in passes defended (PBU+INT) and led the league in break ups. That's a quality player returning on all three levels and doesn't even include a Tre'Vaun Ammons on the D-Line or Gary Woods at linebacker - two guys that have earned All-MIAA honors multiple times already in their careers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X