Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UCM OC John McMenamin Named HC at Wayne State (NE)

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that stinks. I'm happy for coach Mac but this loss stings. Everyone coming back except Bolles 3.0 so the offense was loaded. Will be interesting to see who comes in and replaces him. I'm sure 'Boda has already made some calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Best quarterback in MIAA history.
      Is that recent MIAA history, ie since Mel invented football? Not sure if there was anyone from the early years but I just don't know.

Comment

Congrats to Johnny Mac and good luck)unless playing NW in playoffs)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post

Is that recent MIAA history, ie since Mel invented football? Not sure if there was anyone from the early years but I just don't know.
          At least as long as I've been paying attention. I can't think of anyone before then off the top of my head.

Comment

Truman had a pretty good quarterback in the late 80's that I saw only once lose in a beat down at Pitt but I couldn't think of any myself. I also believe that when we think of a qb we think more of one's passing ability that a runner so that truly limits one's perspective.

Comment

Well that stinks. I'm happy for coach Mac but this loss stings. Everyone coming back except Bolles 3.0 so the offense was loaded. Will be interesting to see who comes in and replaces him. I'm sure 'Boda has already made some calls.
              Mac and Lambo both played for Boda and then were OC's working for Boda. They ran Boda's system and so will the next guy, whether he has ties to Boda or not, it won't make any difference. It's Boda's system and if he has to jump back in for awhile and call the plays......that works for me.

Comment

What I remember about Johnny Mac is that he broke his non-throwing arm at UNO, yet finished the game. While not as successful as some of the other NW QB's, he could throw the ball down field and led a high scoring offense. He played High school ball at Elk Horn and his Father was the FB coach at Omaha Central, so it is not surprising that he is back in Nebraska.

I wish him well coaching the southern most team in the Northern Sun Conference.

Comment

Truman had a pretty good quarterback in the late 80's that I saw only once lose in a beat down at Pitt but I couldn't think of any myself. I also believe that when we think of a qb we think more of one's passing ability that a runner so that truly limits one's perspective.
                  Chris Hegg?

I realize that your bias/perspective when it comes to Pitt quarterbacks, but unless a quarterback is a true dual threat, we are always going to think about and give priority to being able to throw the ball and lead a team.

Of course I thought about all quarterbacks.

Would you dismiss the notion that Ronald Moore isn't the best running back because he didn't catch many passes and thinking of a running back only in terms of what he could do running the football and not catch the football "limits one's perspective?"

I can think about all running backs and still come up with Moore as an answer even though he didn't catch many passes or have to block in pass pro much.

Comment

Chris Hegg?

I realize that your bias/perspective when it comes to Pitt quarterbacks, but unless a quarterback is a true dual threat, we are always going to think about and give priority to being able to throw the ball and lead a team.

Would you dismiss the notion that Ronald Moore isn't the best running back because he didn't catch many passes and thinking of a running back only in terms of what he could do running the football and not catch the football "limits one's perspective?"

I can think about all running backs and still come up with Moore as an answer even though he didn't catch many passes or have to block in pass pro much.
                    There isn't a Pitt QB that even is worthy to be in the conversation nor would I even suggest that any of them are deserving. My point was that football has really changed in the last 30+ years. I was at Pitt when the ran the veer and were loaded with running backs and had a receiver here and there that was good as long as the qb could get it to him. Fast forward to today, with the RPO and spread offenses, many of the qbs we remember leading teams back then would not even be recruited. Heck, Troy Aikman started his career at Oklahoma. Can you imagine what his college career would be like if he stayed? Would Switzer have changed the offense?

I would argue that Ronald Moore is the best running back that I personally saw in the MIAA even though he caught very few passes. Oman, Race and some others were all very, very good but Ronald is still the best IMO. His senior year everyone knew he was getting the ball and could do nothing to stop him.

We talk today about the weapons that some of the offenses have in the league and how tough it was to stop them. I will show my Pitt bias and argue that Ronnie West, Ronald Moore and Darren Dawson were the best set of skilled position players on one team at one time. One reason is that the magic year of 1991 when they started a true freshman qb for the majority of the year after Brian Hutchens broke his collarbone in the first series at Commerce.

I was just asking if someone was a standout qb back in the day that I would not have seen or really know about. No problems with Griessen being the best. The league has been blessed with some great qb play over the years. For some, it is hard to not gauge their current qb against those that were before them as expectations are high for anyone playing that position.

Comment

I'll die on that sword all day long.

Comment

No worries at all. I did the same to you about the Cubs 10 years ago or something like that re. fading in September when they actually won the division.

Comment

re Gorilla John 92

Now I understand better and do agree with you a lot about how that position has morphed over time.

Comment

Chris Hegg?

Ticich?

Comment

There isn't a Pitt QB that even is worthy to be in the conversation nor would I even suggest that any of them are deserving. My point was that football has really changed in the last 30+ years. I was at Pitt when the ran the veer and were loaded with running backs and had a receiver here and there that was good as long as the qb could get it to him. Fast forward to today, with the RPO and spread offenses, many of the qbs we remember leading teams back then would not even be recruited. Heck, Troy Aikman started his career at Oklahoma. Can you imagine what his college career would be like if he stayed? Would Switzer have changed the offense?

I would argue that Ronald Moore is the best running back that I personally saw in the MIAA even though he caught very few passes. Oman, Race and some others were all very, very good but Ronald is still the best IMO. His senior year everyone knew he was getting the ball and could do nothing to stop him.

We talk today about the weapons that some of the offenses have in the league and how tough it was to stop them. I will show my Pitt bias and argue that Ronnie West, Ronald Moore and Darren Dawson were the best set of skilled position players on one team at one time. One reason is that the magic year of 1991 when they started a true freshman qb for the majority of the year after Brian Hutchens broke his collarbone in the first series at Commerce.

I was just asking if someone was a standout qb back in the day that I would not have seen or really know about. No problems with Griessen being the best. The league has been blessed with some great qb play over the years. For some, it is hard to not gauge their current qb against those that were before them as expectations are high for anyone playing that position.
                              You mean like Brian Shay?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

You mean like Brian Shay?
                                Shay had one of those years as well but I would take Ronald Moore over Shay.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X