Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UCM OC John McMenamin Named HC at Wayne State (NE)

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post

Shay had one of those years as well but I would take Ronald Moore over Shay.
    Shay had two years where everyone knew he was getting the ball.
    Sophomore year 2103 yards
    Junior year 1912 yards
    Senior year 2265 yards
    The only reason he didn't get 2000 yards his junior year is because he was held out of the first half of the first game with a hamstring injury and Manny was trying to show that it was the system and not the back. He came in the second half and had like 120 yards to lead ESU to a come from behind win. From that point on everyone knew he was getting the ball.

Comment

Shay had one of those years as well but I would take Ronald Moore over Shay.
      I usually tune out for most of the offseason, except for signing day time, a little check in around spring ball time and then paying more attention right before fall camp is going to start. Is this sort of All Time All MIAA Team a thread that has happened during the doldrums?

When I was checking through all time best MIAA RBs, Moore just seemed a clear cut number 1 and then I decided XO was probably ahead of Race because of durability. I didn't even get Shay in my shortlist. Now I'm saying that as an admission of it being an oversight on my part. Shay is on the shortlist, but I do think he's probably on the second team with Race with Moore and Omon on the first team.

Either way, the entire team would make for a good series of threads through the offseason.

Edit: As little fun as it might be for those of you who have been around for a really long time, this sort of concept would probably be best starting in 1989 when the conference really started shaping into what it is today. UCM and NW are the only remaining members from before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Chris Hegg?

I realize that your bias/perspective when it comes to Pitt quarterbacks, but unless a quarterback is a true dual threat, we are always going to think about and give priority to being able to throw the ball and lead a team.

Of course I thought about all quarterbacks.

Would you dismiss the notion that Ronald Moore isn't the best running back because he didn't catch many passes and thinking of a running back only in terms of what he could do running the football and not catch the football "limits one's perspective?"

I can think about all running backs and still come up with Moore as an answer even though he didn't catch many passes or have to block in pass pro much.
        I think of modern QB's that way, but BITD a lot of QB's were strictly runners. Ignoring that to go with a narrow definition kind of takes a dump on the history of football and ignores the evolution of the position.

Without a great option QB, the option sucked, even back then. The same could be said for a lot of old offensive systems.

That said, in my memory, Todd Koby might be the best I've seen in the MIAA by any definition. Greissen was right there with him.

Comment

There isn't a Pitt QB that even is worthy to be in the conversation nor would I even suggest that any of them are deserving. My point was that football has really changed in the last 30+ years. I was at Pitt when the ran the veer and were loaded with running backs and had a receiver here and there that was good as long as the qb could get it to him. Fast forward to today, with the RPO and spread offenses, many of the qbs we remember leading teams back then would not even be recruited. Heck, Troy Aikman started his career at Oklahoma. Can you imagine what his college career would be like if he stayed? Would Switzer have changed the offense?

I would argue that Ronald Moore is the best running back that I personally saw in the MIAA even though he caught very few passes. Oman, Race and some others were all very, very good but Ronald is still the best IMO. His senior year everyone knew he was getting the ball and could do nothing to stop him.

We talk today about the weapons that some of the offenses have in the league and how tough it was to stop them. I will show my Pitt bias and argue that Ronnie West, Ronald Moore and Darren Dawson were the best set of skilled position players on one team at one time. One reason is that the magic year of 1991 when they started a true freshman qb for the majority of the year after Brian Hutchens broke his collarbone in the first series at Commerce.

I was just asking if someone was a standout qb back in the day that I would not have seen or really know about. No problems with Griessen being the best. The league has been blessed with some great qb play over the years. For some, it is hard to not gauge their current qb against those that were before them as expectations are high for anyone playing that position.
          Moore
          Shay
          Omon
          Race
          Guy from TSU who's name I don't remember

Those are the best I've seen in the MIAA

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Moore
            Shay
            Omon
            Race

Jarrett Anderson.

If this isn't your top 5, you are probably either biased or just haven't been around long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Moore
              Shay
              Omon
              Race

I agree 100% with this.Three Harlon Hill winners (Moore, Shay, Anderson-from Truman) and two more (Omon and Race) that probably should have won it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X