Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greenman View Post

a valid point...however, how did we get to the point that our best option was a redshirt freshman? that boils down to coaching issues somewhere.
    It's not all on the coaches. They may have missed on a kid but NW has a track record of that not occurring that often. IMO, Kids egos get in the way. Years ago there was not that many kids who cut and ran after a year or two. Now, it's all over the place. You don't need to look any further than Joe Burrows, Justin Fields and a few other starting QB's at the D I level. While I know that is D I and everyone believes they are NFL bound, but that has crept into D II as well and is getting worse IMO. As a case in point, last year after Bolles 3.0 went down, the Mules were down to a redshirt Freshman and a redshirt sophomore. Why? People that were recruited with Bolles and the year after all left for whatever reason. Many are not willing to wait their turn and more concerned about themselves than the team. People are in their ear telling them that they are better than they are. Some go the JUCO route to try and get a DI scholly but those opportunities are not that common. Last year the Mules had Zion Perry and Jeremy Hunt on their roster and both were playing significant snaps.. Hunt would have been a red shirt sophomore and Perry a true sophomore. Both felt that they were D I material and went the JUCO route. Zion Perry is a great kid but he will never be a DI player. He is just too small and doesn't meet the "measurements" that D I programs are looking for. He could have excelled in DII and if he developed, the NFL would find him. All we have to do is look back to John Brown from Pitt as an example. I've already stated my opinion of Jeremy Hunt and wish him well but he would have been the man next year with two years remaining.

Comment

• Yeah. NW did a lot better in the playoffs than most people thought they would. That defense was fantastic by the end of the year.

Comment

• Congrats to both teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat Moon View Post
          I trust HCRW, I would hope he would see the writing on the wall and make a change..
          Many of Pitt fans said the same thing about Tim Beck. Beck never made the changes necessary and now he is changed out. Trust but verify and if Wright won't make the changes because of friendship and time together with his staff then there will be a time when he will be the one needed changed out, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post
            Let's take a step back here folks. How many qb's at NW started for two years BEFORE they were a Junior? .
            This was his 3rd year starting, right? Get it yet? First year, yeah growing pains. Second year he should grow and get better. In the third year he is who he is. Can he improve? Sure but if his mechanics are still this bad and he is still not able to elevate his team, he is not going to.

His first two years were learning years only it was on the field of play instead of a practice field. That is a better learning environment than a practice field as it is game experience. If he is still the best option for NW next year it will be more of the same.

Comment

• I am posting this link to the NW at Ferris story that was written by Andrew Wegley for the Northwest Missouian. He has been on the sideline for several seasons and knows this team well.
              BIG RAPIDS, Mich. � Braden Wright watched from the west sideline of Top Taggart Field as Northwest football�s season deteriorated over the span of two quarters Dec. 7.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Yeah. NW did a lot better in the playoffs than most people thought they would. That defense was fantastic by the end of the year.
                They had a good draw in the playoffs. A one dimensional team that didn't and couldn't pass then a bottom dweller that moved and became a conference champion. If they would have faced an opponent that was actually good, they may have been a one and done team.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSR View Post

This was his 3rd year starting, right? Get it yet? First year, yeah growing pains. Second year he should grow and get better. In the third year he is who he is. Can he improve? Sure but if his mechanics are still this bad and he is still not able to elevate his team, he is not going to.

His first two years were learning years only it was on the field of play instead of a practice field. That is a better learning environment than a practice field as it is game experience. If he is still the best option for NW next year it will be more of the same.
                  No, BW is a R-Sophomore. He has started for two years.

Comment

• I posted the link to Wegley's article hoping it will give insight to some of the harsher NW posters. They need to see how the players and coaches, that they criticize, work with and care for each other over a five year time frame.

One last comment, then I will get off my soap box. The main difference between the 2018-19 teams and the NC teams of 2013, 2015 and 2016 are that the NC teams had senior QB's and were undefeated. Being undefeated allowed home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Home field advantage is HUGE.

Comment

They had a good draw in the playoffs. A one dimensional team that didn't and couldn't pass then a bottom dweller that moved and became a conference champion. If they would have faced an opponent that was actually good, they may have been a one and done team.
                      Name that opponent in SR3 outside of Ferris. And then do the nation. There are maybe 5 teams in the nation that were potentially better. I'll hang up and listen.

Comment

I want your reevaluation after learning this is just his second year. Does the post stop after "he should grow and get better."?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post

It's not all on the coaches. They may have missed on a kid but NW has a track record of that not occurring that often. IMO, Kids egos get in the way. Years ago there was not that many kids who cut and ran after a year or two. Now, it's all over the place. You don't need to look any further than Joe Burrows, Justin Fields and a few other starting QB's at the D I level. While I know that is D I and everyone believes they are NFL bound, but that has crept into D II as well and is getting worse IMO. As a case in point, last year after Bolles 3.0 went down, the Mules were down to a redshirt Freshman and a redshirt sophomore. Why? People that were recruited with Bolles and the year after all left for whatever reason. Many are not willing to wait their turn and more concerned about themselves than the team. People are in their ear telling them that they are better than they are. Some go the JUCO route to try and get a DI scholly but those opportunities are not that common. Last year the Mules had Zion Perry and Jeremy Hunt on their roster and both were playing significant snaps.. Hunt would have been a red shirt sophomore and Perry a true sophomore. Both felt that they were D I material and went the JUCO route. Zion Perry is a great kid but he will never be a DI player. He is just too small and doesn't meet the "measurements" that D I programs are looking for. He could have excelled in DII and if he developed, the NFL would find him. All we have to do is look back to John Brown from Pitt as an example. I've already stated my opinion of Jeremy Hunt and wish him well but he would have been the man next year with two years remaining.
                          NW's recent QB recruiting classes:

2019: Krause, Roush - Obviously redshirting this season
                          2018: Hohensee
                          2017: Wright
                          2016: Brannan (gone), Kowalski
                          2015: Johnson, Martin (Juco Tr)
                          2014: NONE - Potentially your 2019 starting SR QB
                          2013: Baker, Schmidt (WR), Strauss (gone)
                          2012: Zimmerman

It's not one miss. Some are yet to be determined. But there is a 4 year gap in there that led to Wright having to start as a RS FR.

Comment

Many of Pitt fans said the same thing about Tim Beck. Beck never made the changes necessary and now he is changed out. Trust but verify and if Wright won't make the changes because of friendship and time together with his staff then there will be a time when he will be the one needed changed out, too.
                            Yep, I've been saying this for 2 years now. If Wright doesn't fix what needs fixing NW will inevitably take the same path as Pitt. The big difference though is NW is still consistently fielding a much, much better defense due to Wright. Which has hidden just how inefficient the offense has been throwing the ball.

NW loses 2 transfer SR RBs that took essentially every non QB touch out of the backfield. It's a crossroads to improve the QB position and replace the production from the RB position. A lot of work to do this offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taxman View Post

NW's recent QB recruiting classes:

2019: Krause, Roush - Obviously redshirting this season
                              2018: Hohensee
                              2017: Wright
                              2016: Brannan (gone), Kowalski
                              2015: Johnson, Martin (Juco Tr)
                              2014: NONE - Potentially your 2019 starting SR QB
                              2013: Baker, Schmidt (WR), Strauss (gone)
                              2012: Zimmerman

It's not one miss. Some are yet to be determined. But there is a 4 year gap in there that led to Wright having to start as a RS FR.

Comment

• Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                                I posted the link to Wegley's article hoping it will give insight to some of the harsher NW posters. They need to see how the players and coaches, that they criticize, work with and care for each other over a five year time frame.

One last comment, then I will get off my soap box. The main difference between the 2018-19 teams and the NC teams of 2013, 2015 and 2016 are that the NC teams had senior QB's and were undefeated. Being undefeated allowed home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Home field advantage is HUGE.
                                No one is saying that players and coaches don't care for each other, and I doubt any poster here hates BW. Everyone would love for him to be unltra successful and become the best QB to every wear Bearcat green. Maybe he will. Bottom line though, up to this point, against good defenses he has been inconsistent and inefficient... sometimes downright ugly and Saturday was another example of that.

The difference between those teams and this team is that they were balanced. They had an element of consistency on offense and being able to put together drives whether they ended in scores or not, that this team doesn't have. You can say that it is because of the senior quarterback, but take Kyle Zimmerman as an example... 1 year starter, hardly any meaningful game experience until his senior year. At this point of year two for BW, who is really the more experienced player? I'd say it's debatable at the very least. I've got nothing against BW, but he needs to get better throwing the football. That's not mean, that's truth and benching BW wasn't mean or wrong either... some can and will argue the timing, but at that point of the year when its win or go home, you've got to try something.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X