Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by catbacker07 View Post

I wonder if anyone has considered that maybe AD is a bigger part of the reasons the QB deficiency has occurred than people realize.
    Yes, him not being here to coach the offensive line to protect the QB, use the run to set up the pass and otherwise generally scheme the offense is a huge part of the QB deficiency.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post

Yes, him not being here to coach the offensive line to protect the QB, use the run to set up the pass and otherwise generally scheme the offense is a huge part of the QB deficiency.

Comment

• After watching the game, completely agree with this. NWMS scheme wasn't bad against us, but if your QB is throwing the ball into the ground on 5yd outs the play calling is being handcuffed. Then looking at the delivery on that 2nd string kid, wow. Where I would fault the coaching staff is on recruiting and scouting the QB position. Were these QBs inherited by the current staff?

Comment

• Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

After watching the game, completely agree with this. NWMS scheme wasn't bad against us, but if your QB is throwing the ball into the ground on 5yd outs the play calling is being handcuffed. Then looking at the delivery on that 2nd string kid, wow. Where I would fault the coaching staff is on recruiting and scouting the QB position. Were these QBs inherited by the current staff?

Comment

• Originally posted by ForeverGreen View Post

Strayhorn will be a solid RB1 on the JF3 level to me. No bell cow by any means, but no slouch. Thomas could help the overall run game via wr sweeps, etc. There are obviously ??? all over the offensive side of the ball, though I do really like what we have at wr.
            Is Strayhorn a junior? I was thinking he was a senior.

Comment

• Isn't this what the coaches are paid to do? I think that's what AD did so well was play up to players strengths and mask their weaknesses with scheme and play calling (for my wrestling nerds, think what Paul Heyman did in ECW-accentuate strengths and hide weaknesses). Anyone that has watched BW play for more than a couple of series can point out his weaknesses (there are a lot of posts on this message board dedicated to it). I'm just a fat guy sitting behind a computer, but I think the coaching staff has done a poor job of putting him in positions to be successful. Maybe it's all on him and they've done all they can, but I don't believe that's the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fro-th_and_goal View Post

Isn't this what the coaches are paid to do? I think that's what AD did so well was play up to players strengths and mask their weaknesses with scheme and play calling (for my wrestling nerds, think what Paul Heyman did in ECW-accentuate strengths and hide weaknesses). Anyone that has watched BW play for more than a couple of series can point out his weaknesses (there are a lot of posts on this message board dedicated to it). I'm just a fat guy sitting behind a computer, but I think the coaching staff has done a poor job of putting him in positions to be successful. Maybe it's all on him and they've done all they can, but I don't believe that's the case.
                i really think his physical throwing mechanics are his biggest problem. until that is fixed, i don't know what would be successful. i don't mind throwing on the run. it has to be done. but there have been many many times where he had the space to use good form, and threw off the back foot instead; last game he literally hopped before throwing, even though no defenders were near him. hitting the feet of a receiver on a screen? i also am not a fan of the sidearm throw. when he has good mechanics, he throws a nice pass. i have seen it happen; it just isn't even close to the majority of the time.

Comment

Isn't this what the coaches are paid to do? I think that's what AD did so well was play up to players strengths and mask their weaknesses with scheme and play calling (for my wrestling nerds, think what Paul Heyman did in ECW-accentuate strengths and hide weaknesses). Anyone that has watched BW play for more than a couple of series can point out his weaknesses (there are a lot of posts on this message board dedicated to it). I'm just a fat guy sitting behind a computer, but I think the coaching staff has done a poor job of putting him in positions to be successful. Maybe it's all on him and they've done all they can, but I don't believe that's the case.
                  It's all chicken and egg... which came first. If the quarterback can't make the simple throws consistently, it has to limit your playbook substantially. He's not particularly good with any of them... short throws, swing passes, deep balls. His current abilities aren't necessarily a good fit in this offense, so maybe in that regard it was a miss in recruiting, but you can see what they liked about him and why they wanted him here. I just think it would be hard to completely mask his limitations without completely changing the offense. He'd probably be perfect at Harding or even UNK who throws it more. It's his development that concerns me... the fact that he didn't seem to improve from year 1 to 2, his footwork, arm slot, reading defenses... some of that has to fall on the coaches.

I'm not at all dismissing your point, because I think there is obvious room for improvement to be had from the offensive staff on game day... adjustments and play calling under this regime is a concern... the Martin/Baker combo of 2017 wasn't any better and we can't blame it on them being sophomores.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenman View Post

i really think his physical throwing mechanics are his biggest problem. until that is fixed, i don't know what would be successful. i don't mind throwing on the run. it has to be done. but there have been many many times where he had the space to use good form, and threw off the back foot instead; last game he literally hopped before throwing, even though no defenders were near him. hitting the feet of a receiver on a screen? i also am not a fan of the sidearm throw. when he has good mechanics, he throws a nice pass. i have seen it happen; it just isn't even close to the majority of the time.
                    Agreed. There are times when they are obviously scheming for him. He needs to be able to throw a catchable ball on a 5 yd out with a moving pocket to that side of the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

It's all chicken and egg... which came first. If the quarterback can't make the simple throws consistently, it has to limit your playbook substantially. He's not particularly good with any of them... short throws, swing passes, deep balls. His current abilities aren't necessarily a good fit in this offense, so maybe in that regard it was a miss in recruiting, but you can see what they liked about him and why they wanted him here. I just think it would be hard to completely mask his limitations without completely changing the offense. He'd probably be perfect at Harding or even UNK who throws it more. It's his development that concerns me... the fact that he didn't seem to improve from year 1 to 2, his footwork, arm slot, reading defenses... some of that has to fall on the coaches.

I'm not at all dismissing your point, because I think there is obvious room for improvement to be had from the offensive staff on game day... adjustments and play calling under this regime is a concern... the Martin/Baker combo of 2017 wasn't any better and we can't blame it on them being sophomores.
                      I can't argue with anything you said. You can definitely see the flashes. That's what makes watching him so frustrating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenman View Post

I think part of putting him in positions to be successful is having him run more (and throw less) and maybe rotating him with Kowalski. I usually don't like rotating QB's, but it may be the best option unless another QB immerges between now and next fall. I'd rather see Hohensee move to more of an h-back role, but I haven't seen him throw enough to be convinced that's a good idea..

Comment

• We will trade you a qb and a punter for D line help. We have 7 of each.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wallst View Post
                            We will trade you a qb and a punter for D line help. We have 7 of each.
                            Just assuming the new coaching staff is throwing out the "5-punter" formation?

Comment

Is Strayhorn a junior? I was thinking he was a senior.
                              He's a senior.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X