Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

RW hired outside the NW tree with his Line coach hire, so his only hire was an outside candidate. Doesn't that show he's not afraid to leave the nest so to speak?

Comment

Seems like there were some NW names being thrown around that could have filled the void. Can't remember specifically who, but past O-linemen who were coaching elsewhere. Of course, those were names being thrown around here! :)

Comment

Seems like there were some NW names being thrown around that could have filled the void. Can't remember specifically who, but past O-linemen who were coaching elsewhere. Of course, those were names being thrown around here! :)
        Wardenburg
        Holtzclaw

Both are OL coaches in D2 right now.

Rich Wright has hired outside the MT coaching tree 100% of the time. It's foolish to think he wouldn't do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Wardenburg
          Holtzclaw

Rich Wright has hired outside the MT coaching tree 100% of the time. It's foolish to think he wouldn't do it again.
          I thought Dane was one of them, but wasn't 100% positive! Nothing wrong with bringing some new blood if RW feels it is best, hope whoever he brings in can really help the program going forward.

Comment

I think people forget that Rich himself is a hire "outside of the program" and so was Charlie. Yes, they were both GA's (here and other places), but Rich spent two years at NW and then went out to a couple of other programs before coming back. I get he was "connected" to NW, but it isn't like AD/Bostwick/Clayton/Osborne that played here first and then coached.

Personally, I do think that if a coach is qualified (first priority) and he happens to be NW guy, then great. Knowing the culture of the program and understanding the town is a great benefit. Again, however, the first priority is being able to coach.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post
              I think people forget that Rich himself is a hire "outside of the program" and so was Charlie. Yes, they were both GA's (here and other places), but Rich spent two years at NW and then went out to a couple of other programs before coming back. I get he was "connected" to NW, but it isn't like AD/Bostwick/Clayton/Osborne that played here first and then coached.

Personally, I do think that if a coach is qualified (first priority) and he happens to be NW guy, then great. Knowing the culture of the program and understanding the town is a great benefit. Again, however, the first priority is being able to coach.
              Are you defining inside the program as having to have played at NW?

When someone was a GA here and ends up on staff full time I consider them an inside the program hire even if they get experience elsewhere. I think it's a huge bonus for them to get experience outside the program.

Comment

Are you defining inside the program as having to have played at NW?

When someone was a GA here and ends up on staff full time I consider them an inside the program hire even if they get experience elsewhere. I think it's a huge bonus for them to get experience outside the program.
                Rich has been coaching since 1991. From 1991-2003 (12 years) he was Northwest for 2 of them as a GA. Which means he was hired from outside of the program to be a GA and spent 10 of 12 years not tied to Northwest. If I remember correctly, he was a TE GA and never coached defense at Northwest until he was hired as the DL coach. I may be wrong about that because his last year as a GA was the year I was a senior/being recruited.

Basically, his experience and his experience coaching defense is entirely outside of the program.

If someone is a GA at Northwest, but also a GA at a couple of other places, does that mean they Northwest guys? Coaches are going to be much more partial to the people they know when going to hire someone. It's a job that requires a lot of trust and constantly working together.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Wardenburg
                  Holtzclaw

Do you think he has 100% say in who he hires?

Comment

Originally posted by Fro-th_and_goal View Post

Do you think he has 100% say in who he hires?
                    Presumably, the person he hires has about 50% of the say.

Obviously, complete outsider perspective, but I would think that other than regular HR background checks and general anti-nepotism laws, he's gotta have 100% say in who he hires.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

Presumably, the person he hires has about 50% of the say.

Obviously, complete outsider perspective, but I would think that other than regular HR background checks and general anti-nepotism laws, he's gotta have 100% say in who he hires.
                      I would have expected to spell it out for a MO West fan, but assumed you would know what I mean...:laugh:LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post

Rich has been coaching since 1991. From 1991-2003 (12 years) he was Northwest for 2 of them as a GA. Which means he was hired from outside of the program to be a GA and spent 10 of 12 years not tied to Northwest. If I remember correctly, he was a TE GA and never coached defense at Northwest until he was hired as the DL coach. I may be wrong about that because his last year as a GA was the year I was a senior/being recruited.

Basically, his experience and his experience coaching defense is entirely outside of the program.

If someone is a GA at Northwest, but also a GA at a couple of other places, does that mean they Northwest guys? Coaches are going to be much more partial to the people they know when going to hire someone. It's a job that requires a lot of trust and constantly working together.
                        So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying they have to be a player who becomes a coach to be considered a NW guy or a GA who never goes anywhere else or if they went somewhere else, they had to have coached in their current discipline when they GA'd at NW?

Guess I see that as he got his start in coaching at NW as a GA, so that makes him a NW guy even though he got more experience elsewhere. I'd still consider a 1 year GA a NW guy.

Not trying to be argumentative with ya, I know you played, hell I was in school a long time before NW got good, was curious about what you considered it takes to be a NW guy.

Comment

it's obviously arbitrary & in the eye of the beholder as to what qualifies as (sufficient) outside experience & what makes one a nwms guy.
                          rw went outside the fam so to speak for cunningham so i'm not sure i get the assumption that he wouldn't necessarily do it again.
                          we have been missing on offensive skill players for awhile which is a coaching issue on that side of the ball.
                          put a gun to my head idk who the dead weight was per se (or if it was just inevitable to eventually dip a little bit) but some fresh blood on staff could be a good thing.
                          seems to me the way this has played out this offseason rw knows what he's doing & has it all under control & i'm looking forward to seeing who he brings in.
                          my guess is they interview the new pitt coach (wilson/wright....whatever his name is) just to at least kick the tires. beyond that i haven't a clue.
                          Go Bearcats!
                          M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying they have to be a player who becomes a coach to be considered a NW guy or a GA who never goes anywhere else or if they went somewhere else, they had to have coached in their current discipline when they GA'd at NW?

Guess I see that as he got his start in coaching at NW as a GA, so that makes him a NW guy even though he got more experience elsewhere. I'd still consider a 1 year GA a NW guy.

Not trying to be argumentative with ya, I know you played, hell I was in school a long time before NW got good, was curious about what you considered it takes to be a NW guy.
                            According to Wikipedia:
                            1995-1996 Northwest Missouri State (GA)
                            Central Methodist (assistant)
                            1999 William Penn (assistant)
                            2000-2003
                            St. Ambrose (assistant)
                            2004-2016 Northwest Missouri State
                            2016-Present Northwest Missouri State (HC)
                            So Joe is wrong - he had actually been coaching for 13 years prior to coming to NW as the DL coach. In those 13 years, 2 of them were as a GA at NW - it would be hard to argue that RW was truly a "NW guy" at the time that Mel hired him to coach the Dline.
                            Last edited by BearcatDude; 12-20-2019, 04:41 PM.
                            Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post
                              it's obviously arbitrary & in the eye of the beerholder as to what qualifies as (sufficient) outside experience & what makes one a nwms guy.
                              rw went outside the fam so to speak for cunningham so i'm not sure i get the assumption that he wouldn't necessarily do it again.
                              we have been missing on offensive skill players for awhile which is a coaching issue on that side of the ball.
                              put a gun to my head idk who the dead weight was per se (or if it was just inevitable to eventually dip a little bit) but some fresh blood on staff could be a good thing.
                              seems to me the way this has played out this offseason rw knows what he's doing & has it all under control & i'm looking forward to seeing who he brings in.
                              my guess is they interview the new pitt coach (wilson/wright....whatever his name is) just to at least kick the tires. beyond that i haven't a clue.
                              FYP :-)

Comment

Coaching trees work like this:

If a guy was a ga for 5 minutes and goes on to be wildly successful, he's in the tree.

If a guy is a ga and goes on to fail miserably, he's not in the tree.

For purposes of this discussion, experience outside the staff is the most important factor in staving off the inbreeding.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X