Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

You heard right!!!! :D
    Chadron went from Dump to Dumpster...so technically it is up and coming. hahahaha

Comment

Nothing against CF, and he has been a faithful Bearcat for quite some time. But there needs to be a change. I wonder if Ozzy likes South Dakota..

Comment

Treat me as someone who has never watched Northwest football in my life, what kind of offense does he run? Overall good or negative opinion? My only concern is the adjustment to the academic requirements at Mines for the athletes. Very excited about the hire! I would appreciate more info though if any of y'all are willing

Comment

Lack luster is what you will hear from the current NW faithful. Many on this board were calling for a change on this side of the ball so this hire helped them out. Some are even hopeful that the other Co-offensive coordinator goes with him. Over his tenure at NW, they have been blessed with a very good defense which aided the offense in many ways. Defensive touchdowns, ability to shut opposing offenses down by taking away one part of the game, short fields and an uncanny ability to get up early on the opposing team and force them to go away from their game plan. yes they averaged 40 points pretty consistently but their defense gave up much, much less.

The RMAC is a very different conference than the MIAA. I doubt that he will be able to get the same quality or caliber of player due to the rigorous academic requirements but if he can get kids that buy in and play to his system, you'll never know. NW faithful think that anything less than a deep playoff run (semi finals) is a horrible year. If he can get you competitive, above .500 and maybe 7-4/8-3 annually, it will be a good hire but that is a tall order.

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post
            Treat me as someone who has never watched Northwest football in my life, what kind of offense does he run? Overall good or negative opinion? My only concern is the adjustment to the academic requirements at Mines for the athletes. Very excited about the hire! I would appreciate more info though if any of y'all are willing
            I think HCCF will do fine with the academic requirements. NW has made recruiting good students a priority.

Run. Run. Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post
              Lack luster is what you will hear from the current NW faithful. Many on this board were calling for a change on this side of the ball so this hire helped them out. Some are even hopeful that the other Co-offensive coordinator goes with him. Over his tenure at NW, they have been blessed with a very good defense which aided the offense in many ways. Defensive touchdowns, ability to shut opposing offenses down by taking away one part of the game, short fields and an uncanny ability to get up early on the opposing team and force them to go away from their game plan. yes they averaged 40 points pretty consistently but their defense gave up much, much less.

The RMAC is a very different conference than the MIAA. I doubt that he will be able to get the same quality or caliber of player due to the rigorous academic requirements but if he can get kids that buy in and play to his system, you'll never know. NW faithful think that anything less than a deep playoff run (semi finals) is a horrible year. If he can get you competitive, above .500 and maybe 7-4/8-3 annually, it will be a good hire but that is a tall order.
              I noncompliment suitable of a confused ass. fan. You do realize NW has made the Semis 9 out of the past 15 years correct? And prior to the past 3 it was 9 out of 12. "Think" or a different reality?

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post

I noncompliment suitable of a confused ass. fan. You do realize NW has made the Semis 9 out of the past 15 years correct? And prior to the past 3 it was 9 out of 12. "Think" or a different reality?
                And you just made my point. The last three years were NOT successful to the NW faithful because you DIDN'T reach the semis. Others, like this confused ass, would gladly take that type of year.

Oh and by the way, if NW doesn't make the semi's next year you will not be able to blame it on Flohr.

The question is this; would SD School of Mines love to consistently have a winning season? WE all know that short of being in the finals is an unsuccessful season to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Right. I was just trying to come up with a list.

I do think most will be considered failures when leaving to rebuild other programs, especially if they're compared to Northwest.
                  There are maybe two or three other programs in the nation that can be considered successful when compared to Northwest over the last 20 years.
                  Kinda like FCS programs compared to NDSU.

Comment

I have had the chance to talk to Charlie on several occasions and I really enjoy my chances to talk with him. First and foremost he's a good man and people would be lucky to have their sons play for him. The lack of production on offense the last couple of years is what it is. He should and I am sure does shoulder some of the blame for that. Most football coaches know all too well what accountability is all about. I do not believe that you can point to him solely though and say he is the reason for the lack of production. Players also play the game. They miss blocks, they drop balls, they make errant throws, they fumble. They are all human. In the scheme of life as a NW fan, things have been amazing and continue to be so. Charlie was a great Bearcat and I wish him luck on what seems to be an incredible opportunity for him and his family. Thanks for all he has done for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Earnest Collins
                      Bart Tatum
                      Jim Svoboda
                      Will Wagner
                      Scott Bostwick
                      Adam Dorrel
                      Josh Lamberson
                      Rich Wright
                      John McMenamin
                      Charlie Flohr (pending)
                      Earnest Collins had a couple of different head coaching jobs. Never really set the world a blaze.

Bart just had the one at Southern-where to date no one has really had much success.

Svoboda-MIAA coach of the year.

Wagner-made the playoffs as a D2 coach. .545 winning pct is probably just ok, but worth another look at a different school.

Dorrel-highly success D2 head coach, we will see at 1AA. It's going to take more time, relative to where the program was at vs where NW was at when he took over.

Lamberson was in over his head at UNK. Super young coach. I don't think he was really ready. Good dude though and maybe ready in a little bit.

Wright-I think he's done very well. A guy I am proud to have represent NW.

McMenamin and Flohr, we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                        Flohr has coached in more MIAA victories, Playoff games and NC's than any current D2 coach in Kansas, so what makes you think that he won't succeed in SoDak, HH?
                        If you count Schurig's time at Pitt State in the 90s, I'm not sure the MIAA victories piece is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post
                          The question is this; would SD School of Mines love to consistently have a winning season? WE all know that short of being in the finals is an unsuccessful season to you.
                          Winning seasons are hard to come by here, so I would love that. There is a simple standard to coaching at SD Mines. If you can keep the Homestake trophy in Rapid City and beat Chadron and/or the Denver Nerds occasionally, you keep your job. A winning season without any of those three wins, especially against Black Hills, may land you on the hot seat

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post

Winning seasons are hard to come by here, so I would love that. There is a simple standard to coaching at SD Mines. If you can keep the Homestake trophy in Rapid City and beat Chadron and/or the Denver Nerds occasionally, you keep your job. A winning season without any of those three wins, especially against Black Hills, may land you on the hot seat
                            Victories over Mines or Chadron have proven difficult for a lot of teams. Black Hills may be a bit easier.

Comment

CF, if media info is correct, has a record as a coach of 135 wins and 12 loses in 14 seasons. Includes this season. At the start of this season Schuring was 118 wins with 80 loses in 19 seasons at Washburn. That does not include time at Pitt State. These are both impressive records.
                              Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post

Victories over Mines or Chadron have proven difficult for a lot of teams. Black Hills may be a bit easier.
                                Quite the understatement.

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
                                CF, if media info is correct, has a record as a coach of 135 wins and 12 loses in 14 seasons. Includes this season. At the start of this season Schuring was 118 wins with 80 loses in 19 seasons at Washburn. That does not include time at Pitt State. These are both impressive records.
                                I think his time at Pitt State would add 71 conference wins and 10 conference losses over 9 years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X