Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

If you count Schurig's time at Pitt State in the 90s, I'm not sure the MIAA victories piece is correct.
    I see your point and stand corrected on the MIAA victories. I knew Schurig coached at Pitt, but lost track of how many years he has been around. 19 years at Washburn, wow

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post
      Treat me as someone who has never watched Northwest football in my life, what kind of offense does he run? Overall good or negative opinion? My only concern is the adjustment to the academic requirements at Mines for the athletes. Very excited about the hire! I would appreciate more info though if any of y'all are willing
      Charlie is a good man and I'll think he'll lead your program the right way. The NW offense, even though run heavy has been more of a finesse, shotgun, no huddle, but not hurry up, offense. They do take some shots downfield, but a lot of underneath stuff, screens, jet sweeps, etc. Poor quarterback play, or at least inconsistent quarterback play in the passing game has hampered the effectiveness of the offense from the time the former play calling head coach left for greener (actually purpler) pastures. Charlie would have to be partially responsible for that, being that he was the quarterback coach too. We've questioned the ability to adjust and scheme in game and/or to the respective talents that our players do have. I'm sure we'd all do way better. ;) A really good quarterback can make things look a lot better than they are and a not so good quarterback can make things look worse than they are... I'm not certain what we have right now. Offensively, the last few years have been somewhat disappointing, but the team has still had a lot of success and Charlie has earned his shot. I hope he succeeds.

Comment

Comment

Who do u want out?

Comment

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post

The offense has Co Coaches. Charlie was QB coach. While Joel handled the Receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post

Who do u want out?

Comment

If he comes out of the offseason as the starter and is the same player he's been the last two years, but we're still winning football games, I just don't see him losing the job no matter what we have or bring in behind him. Which probably means we have 2 more years of BW as our quarterback regardless of whether or not there is improvement. I think that is especially true if we don't bring in any new blood in regards to the offensive coaching staff. Let's just hope that the improvement happens because I think everyone recognizes the athleticism and potential he possesses.

Comment

One thing I've never fully understood was why JO (a former NW QB) has been the WR coach and not the QB coach all these years and thought maybe his talents/experience were not being utilized/maximized to their full potential? Sure, I get that as a QB you have to understand routes/timing, etc., and that you don't have to have played a position to coach it, but it helps and I hear a lot of complaints about our receiver corps and always wondered if this were a contributing factor.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post
                    One thing I've never fully understood was why JO (a former NW QB) has been the WR coach and not the QB coach all these years and thought maybe his talents/experience were not being utilized/maximized to their full potential? Sure, I get that as a QB you have to understand routes/timing, etc., and that you don't have to have played a position to coach it, but it helps and I hear a lot of complaints about our receiver corps and always wondered if this were a contributing factor.
                    Flohr already occupied that position....

Comment

Well if that were the main/only reason, hopefully the staff change will allow JO to now coach QBs and HCRW can hire someone more qualified to coach the receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post
                        Well if that were the main/only reason, hopefully the staff change will allow JO to now coach QBs and HCRW can hire someone more qualified to coach the receivers.
                        I have a feeling we may be disappointed at the end of all of this and there won't be much change at all. Yeah, Joel may go to QB coach, perhaps that is good, but he'll probably get the OC gig to himself. Meh. With that, a grad assistant could move up and get a bigger roll and a permanent job like has happened in the past (Joel for instance)... Zach Martin is in his second GA season on that side of the ball. I have no insider knowledge... just pessimistic about the excitement for a real change in the status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I have a feeling we may be disappointed at the end of all of this and there won't be much change at all. Yeah, Joel may go to QB coach, perhaps that is good, but he'll probably get the OC gig to himself. Meh. With that, a grad assistant could move up and get a bigger roll and a permanent job like has happened in the past (Joel for instance)... Zach Martin is in his second GA season on that side of the ball. I have no insider knowledge... just pessimistic about the excitement for a real change in the status quo.

Comment

I hope this is the case. At the same time, I hope Coach Wright is looking for the best possible way to jump start this offense again, which may include looking outside. My fear would be that program history, loyalty and taking the easier route to filling the vacancy may trump anything that could be perceived as an aggressive move. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's wrong either... I'm just not overly excited that Charlie leaving is really going to change anything for the better or the worse. That said, I've been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I hope this is the case. At the same time, I hope Coach Wright is looking for the best possible way to jump start this offense again, which may include looking outside. My fear would be that program history, loyalty and taking the easier route to filling the vacancy may trump anything that could be perceived as an aggressive move. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's wrong either... I'm just not overly excited that Charlie leaving is really going to change anything for the better or the worse. That said, I've been wrong before.

Comment

RW hired outside the NW tree with his Line coach hire, so his only hire was an outside candidate. Doesn't that show he's not afraid to leave the nest so to speak?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X