Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy View Post

The one on the right separates Hays/Kearney & Emporia/Washburn.
    Agreed Randy. I think the first one makes the most sense but some NW/UCM folks might object to it.

Comment

I would prefer the one where Lincoln and nsu cancel football.

Comment

For what it's worth, these are the divisions in basketball this year (with non-football schools Newman and Rogers State):

Last year Pittsburg State and Missouri Southern were in the western division while Lindenwood and Southwest Baptist were in the eastern.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
          For what it's worth, these are the divisions in basketball this year (with non-football schools Newman and Rogers State):

Last year Pittsburg State and Missouri Southern were in the western division while Lindenwood and Southwest Baptist were in the eastern.
          This makes no since to me. The obvious split is a straight line from the top right to the bottom left. 7 teams on each side of the line and the only "scheduling pair" that is split is CentralOK/Newman which have never been rivals.

Comment

I don't understand why geography is being used as the main criteria in football when we are currently playing everyone so travel obviously isn't a huge hardship.

I mean, you are playing all but 2 no matter what. Obviously, it should be considered some, but i think competitive balance and preserving rivalries should be more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              I don't understand why geography is being used as the main criteria in football when we are currently playing everyone so travel obviously isn't a huge hardship.

I mean, you are playing all but 2 no matter what. Obviously, it should be considered some, but i think competitive balance and preserving rivalries should be more important.
              Because controlling costs was one of the reasons given for expansion and for the incestuous scheduling. It's a compromise.

I did some research and found that there were many schools closer to UCO than NW and visa versa.

Side Note: Let's pretend that some combination of UNK, FHSU, UCO, and NSU hadn't joined the MIAA. Do you think Truman State and Lindenwood would still have bolted to the GLVC?

Comment

I think both would have bolted, either way. They just fit better there. The GLVC has other schools who offer all the sports that they do, they fit geographically, and they seem to follow the same funding mindset that most GLVC schools do.

Comment

I'm sure these have been floated, but haven't seen it in this thread yet. How do people feel about an East that includes all the MO schools and Pitt State and a West that includes the other 3 KS schools, both OK schools and UNK?

In terms of travel cost gripes, I would think UNK and NSU would have the most to complain about, but at least for UNK, that's almost always going to be the case. It can be resolved in the near term by having their cross-division games include the nearer teams and exclude the farther teams.

In terms of loss of historical rivalries, I think the only place that exists at all is with Pitt State and the other 3 KS schools, but 100 out of 100 Pitt State fans would prioritize the MoSo and NW rivalries and probably a majority of Pitt State fans wouldn't have the 3 KS schools slotted any higher than MW and UCM.

Comment

maybe?
                    i don't think the schools are any more honest than the league is when giving "reasons" for questionable decisions.
                    Go Bearcats!
                    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
                      I'm sure these have been floated, but haven't seen it in this thread yet. How do people feel about an East that includes all the MO schools and Pitt State and a West that includes the other 3 KS schools, both OK schools and UNK?

In terms of travel cost gripes, I would think UNK and NSU would have the most to complain about, but at least for UNK, that's almost always going to be the case. It can be resolved in the near term by having their cross-division games include the nearer teams and exclude the farther teams.

In terms of loss of historical rivalries, I think the only place that exists at all is with Pitt State and the other 3 KS schools, but 100 out of 100 Pitt State fans would prioritize the MoSo and NW rivalries and probably a majority of Pitt State fans wouldn't have the 3 KS schools slotted any higher than MW and UCM.
                      i think we should invite the blind indian school pitt used to schedule & beat by 100 along w/ baker, mo valley, & nebraska wesleyan. then we can split into divisions w/ exclusive scheduling w/in said div's, teams w/ the best records all play each other at the end of the yr. whomever's in first is in a ccg, we'll play it at the soccer park until they kick us out.
                      Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

glvc division
                        pitts naia friend
                        baker
                        mo valley
                        neb wesleyan
                        northeastern st
                        central ok
                        lincoln
                        moso

controlling costs division
                        nwms
                        ps
                        cm
                        mowest
                        kearney
                        hays
                        es
                        wburn

i give the edge to the controlling costs....lot of powers over there....very sec west-esque.
                        Go Bearcats!
                        M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

That's what I suggested yesterday:

Comment

Geographically nsu wants the moso and Pitt if we are in a division. That nsu to unk trip is brutal

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                              Geographically nsu wants the moso and Pitt if we are in a division. That nsu to unk trip is brutal
                              Right

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

That's what I suggested yesterday:
                                I knew it had to be in there somewhere.

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                                NSU could have Pitt State and MoSo as crossover games for the first 4 years of this arrangement. The likelihood of any new system lasting longer than 4 years seems relatively low to me.

Keep in mind that even if NSU isn't in the same division as UNK, that trip still has to be made twice out of every six years (as opposed to 3 times out of every six years if they are in same division). Think of it this way, one time out of 6 years, NSU has to go to Hays and Kearney instead of Maryville and St. Joe. That's 7 hours total of additional driving every 6 years. 7 hours of driving (and the associated travel cost) over a 6 year time frame is the cost for the MOST disadvantaged school in this scenario.

Every other MIAA school could give NSU $35 per year and that would basically make up the school's travel cost (($5/mile x 70mph x 7hrs) / (11 other schools x 6 years) = $32). Even if you want to double my cost per mile estimate, that's still only $65 per year from the other schools. Obviously, I'm not saying the MIAA should provide for this sort of payment, but the de minimis nature of the inconvenience for the most inconvenienced school is the point I'm after here.

And, if the MIAA opening up it's schedule to non-conference games convinces the GAC to do the same, the result could actually be net less traveling for NSU if it gets the right OK or AR schools as its non-conference games.

And finally, I know you're an NSU fan, so sorry to be so frank about this, but in a football scheduling vote, I hope the other ADs/Presidents/whoever consider how little NSU contributes to the conference in football and vote accordingly.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X