nwms
    ps
    cm
    mowest
    kearney
    hays
    es
    wburn

i give the edge to the controlling costs....lot of powers over there....very sec west-esque.
    I really like everything about this scenario except that I would recommend dropping the conference championship game and just replacing it with an additional non-conference game.

Comment

It's vote day

Comment

GorillaBred

I didn't research the accuracy of what you wrote but just wanted to tell you that I enjoy that type of though process and really diving into the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          GorillaBred

I didn't research the accuracy of what you wrote but just wanted to tell you that I enjoy that type of though process and really diving into the details.
          Here are the two accuracy caveats ... 1) obviously the converting hours of driving to miles of driving via 70 mph is a bad approach. I should've just used miles of driving, but I had already closed the google maps tab where I checked the driving time before I added that part to the post and 2) I saw an Arkansas public education busing estimate of something like $3.65 per mile for HS athletics travel and adjusted that upwards a little assuming that it's a bit more expensive to transport college athletics units than HS athletics units. There's obviously some ballparking involved in that, but considering that these are marginal miles and not startup miles, I'm assuming that the cost wouldn't be meaningfully different. There's probably a more accurate way to get to those costs by just saying 7 additional hours of bus driver expense and two bus drivers, plus however many more gallons of diesel fuel and then some maintenance cost factor.

The place where you could quibble is if there's any increased cost for overnight housing. But I think the schools you're missing (NW and MW) are just as certain to have a hotel night as the schools you're adding (FH and UNK).

Comment

The shortsighted won out.

Comment

?

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

I knew it had to be in there somewhere.

NSU could have Pitt State and MoSo as crossover games for the first 4 years of this arrangement. The likelihood of any new system lasting longer than 4 years seems relatively low to me.

Keep in mind that even if NSU isn't in the same division as UNK, that trip still has to be made twice out of every six years (as opposed to 3 times out of every six years if they are in same division). Think of it this way, one time out of 6 years, NSU has to go to Hays and Kearney instead of Maryville and St. Joe. That's 7 hours total of additional driving every 6 years. 7 hours of driving (and the associated travel cost) over a 6 year time frame is the cost for the MOST disadvantaged school in this scenario.

Every other MIAA school could give NSU $35 per year and that would basically make up the school's travel cost (($5/mile x 70mph x 7hrs) / (11 other schools x 6 years) = $32). Even if you want to double my cost per mile estimate, that's still only $65 per year from the other schools. Obviously, I'm not saying the MIAA should provide for this sort of payment, but the de minimis nature of the inconvenience for the most inconvenienced school is the point I'm after here.

And, if the MIAA opening up it's schedule to non-conference games convinces the GAC to do the same, the result could actually be net less traveling for NSU if it gets th

And finally, I know you're an NSU fan, so sorry to be so frank about this, but in a football scheduling vote, I hope the other ADs/Presidents/whoever consider how little NSU contributes to the conference in football and vote accordingly.
                I was responding to one plan that I deem unfair . A permanent division split where nsu is not in same division as either moso or pitt is unfair and biased. No matter what" our contribution"
                . A rotating schedule is not a problem . Moso and Pitt are our closest geographic members andare we ever going to become a part of this conf if we don't form rivals. And trust me the nsu moso game will have some meaning next year .

And thank you somuch for reminding me that nsu has been bad.

Comment

Last edited by northwest missouri state; 01-26-2020, 10:06 AM.
                  Go Bearcats!
                  M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post

I was responding to one plan that I deem unfair . A permanent division split where nsu is not in same division as either moso or pitt is unfair and biased. No matter what" our contribution"
                    . A rotating schedule is not a problem . Moso and Pitt are our closest geographic members andare we ever going to become a part of this conf if we don't form rivals. And trust me the nsu moso game will have some meaning next year .

And thank you somuch for reminding me that nsu has been bad.
                    The absolute simplest method possible of dividing up the conference--simply drawing a straight line from North to South down the middle--is unfair and biased? Especially when such a system maintains all of the natural geographic rivalries in the conference? If anyone is wondering how long it takes for a victim mentality to set in, just check on how long NSU's been at/near the bottom of the standings.

Comment

So is this dead or not? Miaa site doesn't have a peep about it.

Comment

I have it from a reliable (unimpeachable) source that this motion failed...

There will be no non-conference football in 2021.

Comment

I hope the MIAA's butthole grows shut!

Comment

Final vote was 5-5 with two abstaining. The two who abstained had to because the presidents were not present. MIAA by-laws dictate that the president has to be there to vote.

It is believed (though we can't know for sure) that the two abstains would have voted 'yes'

Comment

Originally posted by MIAAWeekly View Post
                              Final vote was 5-5 with two abstaining. The two who abstained had to because the presidents were not present. MIAA by-laws dictate that the president has to be there to vote.

It is believed (though we can't know for sure) that the two abstains would have voted 'yes'
                              Do you know which schools voted yes, no and which two were absent?

Comment

Originally posted by MIAAWeekly View Post

I would like to think the 2 president's that no showed were at another meeting that required their presence for a vote as well and that is why they were unable to attend. Also, odd that a yes vote would no show as well. I could see a no show from a no vote as things would remain the status quo. Personal opinion, they weren't 100% behind a change.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X