Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    It is fitting that the school I dislike the most is on the wrong side of this, though. I imagine their actual reason has something to do with a fertilizer contract they have or something to that effect.
    It won't be the wrong side until NW is hurt by no noncons. This year was the closest call but NW responded in epic fashion to make the regional selection committee look incompetent for what they intended to do. That should be taken into consideration in future seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taxman View Post

Sure it has. Your team's lack of wins within the current conference schedule has been detrimental to receiving a PO bid. Going outside the conference would provide the ability to find easier opponents in which to accumulate wins and hopefully avoid the better teams in the conference resulting in fewer losses.
      Pitt's lack of wins had zero to do with what conference they were in. They wouldn't have made the PO's in the GLVC, the gac, the gliac, or anywhere else the last few seaons, imo.

Comment

It won't be the wrong side until NW is hurt by no noncons. This year was the closest call but NW responded in epic fashion to make the regional selection committee look incompetent for what they intended to do. That should be taken into consideration in future seasons.
        It's the wrong side. You just can't comprehend it. I blame your "education"

Comment

You're on the "right" side in this because your school is hunting wins they haven't been able to get within the conference.
          Considering that my stated preference for resolving this situation was finding another conference home for Lincoln and NSU, I don't think your assessment of my motivations is quite on target.

Comment

Sure it has. Your team's lack of wins within the current conference schedule has been detrimental to receiving a PO bid. Going outside the conference would provide the ability to find easier opponents in which to accumulate wins and hopefully avoid the better teams in the conference resulting in fewer losses.

Comment

• That SEC of D2 nonsense is only said in MIAA land. 4 different SEC teams have won 10 of the last 14 national championships. The MIAA has only had 2 teams that were ever a contender for a national championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy View Post
                That SEC of D2 nonsense is only said in MIAA land. 4 different SEC teams have won 10 of the last 14 national championships. The MIAA has only had 2 teams that were ever a contender for a national championship.
                I agree. Just people trying to piggyback NW. That said, it is a very tough conference, as are the GSC and GLIAC.

Comment

That SEC of D2 nonsense is only said in MIAA land. 4 different SEC teams have won 10 of the last 14 national championships. The MIAA has only had 2 teams that were ever a contender for a national championship.
                  It's actually repeated around the country more than you'd think.

Comment

• We're on the same page and why I already stated most of the conference should be voting to add noncons. I'm the founding member of the be careful not to follow Pitt into irrelevance foundation. Hopefully the hiring of the current OC is one step to warding that off. It is nice. NW is absolutely in a different situation than most of the conference currently. And that can absolutely change as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

Considering that my stated preference for resolving this situation was finding another conference home for Lincoln and NSU, I don't think your assessment of my motivations is quite on target.
                      10 conference teams is the perfect number.

Comment

We're more like the Big 12 of D2, only NW has had more success finishing off seasons than OU has. Pitt State is Texas (high highs and pretty depressing lows). ESU, FHSU and UCM are Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor (not necessarily in that order). WU is KSU, MW and UNK are OSU and ISU. MoSo is KU.

Also, both conferences have the wrong number of schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It's actually repeated around the country more than you'd think.
                          If it's said at all (outside of MIAA land), it's more than I would think. I could see comparing Northwest to Alabama and Pitt to maybe Auburn or Florida (haven't won in while) but the rest of the conference comes up short of the SEC.

Comment

If it's said at all (outside of MIAA land), it's more than I would think. I could see comparing Northwest to Alabama and Pitt to maybe Auburn or Florida (haven't won in while) but the rest of the conference comes up short of the SEC.
                            I think it's just the lazy man's way of saying "it's the toughest conference." It's like calling the Harlon Hill Trophy the "Heisman of Division II."

Comment

yer thinking about it a little too literally
                              Go Bearcats!
                              M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

If national championships are the measure, then no conference is the SEC of D2, because we don't decide our champions via beauty contests. But I think the MIAA has as strong a case as any.

Looking over the last 14 years (since that was the point of reference for the SEC), the MIAA has five championships (NW 4, Pitt 1), the GSC has four (Valdosta State 3, W Florida 1), the NSIC 2 (both by Duluth) and the Lone Star, RMAC and GLIAC each have one.

Another way to look at it is players put in the NFL, since that's another of the SEC's claim to fame. I pulled some numbers from Pro Football Reference, and I believe current MIAA schools have had 136 players on active NFL rosters (an average of about 11 per team), current GSC players have had 60 (an average of about 7 per team). That's skewed by recent changes in conference membership, I'm sure. I didn't take the time to look at any other conferences - I know the Lone Star would have a bunch (Kingsville and West Texas both have more than 50).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X